Intel i5-4690K Temperature

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
Hey guys! I recently built a desktop pc with the help of this site and I love it. Here's what I got...

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MrGrim999/saved/qPdgXL

I have one concern. It's been about 12 years since building one and never installed an aftermarket cpu cooler. I've been monitoring the temperatures and I just wanted to see if I should be concerned. I downloaded a program called Speedfan that allows you to monitor the temps from windows. When idling, everything is right around 30 C which I believe is ok. When I converted and burned a blu ray disc, which took about 3 hours, i noticed the CPU jumped from 50-60 C. The mobo stayed around 30. Is this normal? Also, if I didn't install the cpu cooler correctly or the thermal compound didn't spread evenly, is that something you would be able to tell right away like causing a dramatic high temp?

clayton006

Feb 14, 2014
I would say those temps are good. If you want to make sure things are on the up and up you can use a stability testing program. I used to use OCCT for some stress testing (with AVX turned off), but I have switched to the Intel Extreme Tuning utility and so far it has been pretty accurate for determining CPU stability. I wouldn't do a 24 hour test (my opinion) but you could be able to run the test for a couple of hours and look at temps.

As has been said above however, those temps seem fine!

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
Whew! :) I'm just curious though, let's say there wasn't enough thermal compound, or it didn't get spread evenly when installing the evo 212, or I've read somewhere in a forum about air bubbles lol.....if it was any kind of thermal compound issue, would it be an extreme raise in temp something noticeably wrong?

clayton006

Feb 14, 2014
Whew! :) I'm just curious though, let's say there wasn't enough thermal compound, or it didn't get spread evenly when installing the evo 212, or I've read somewhere in a forum about air bubbles lol.....if it was any kind of thermal compound issue, would it be an extreme raise in temp something noticeably wrong?

Most likely a "minor" issue like thermal compound not getting on there evenly or having bubbles in it probably won't cause a "large" increase or "spikes" in temperatures. Most likely what you would see is a bit higher max load temp and an overall increase in temperatures across the range.

If you installed the cooler wrong and it wasn't making contact at all or very little contact you would know that right away!

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
+1 Doesn't take long for a cpu to hit the limit if the cooler isn't mounted correctly

Good that's what I figured. That's definitely the one part I hate doing, not to mention you can't see what's happening under there as you squash the heatsink against it hehe.

UPDATE.....it was definitely done correctly. Someone told me that it takes a few days of shutting down and restarting for the thermal compound to take full effect and that's exactly what happened. CPU is now at a steady 23C :)