Question Intel HD610 iGPU (10th-Gen Celeron G5900), twitch, YouTube, how many simul.1080P decode streams?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There actually was a reason for posting this thread. Friend of mine that I sold an HP Slim Desktop, with a 10th-Gen Celeron G5900 dual-core 3.4Ghz CPU and UHD610 graphics, complained that he was having issues with streams stopping (2x 1080P YT, and 1x Twitch), after minimizing them.

I just built a rig with a Pentium G6400, also with the UHD610 graphics, although running with a B560M-HDV mobo, and 3200 CAS16 2x8GB DDR4, and a Samsung EVO 870 250GB SATA 2.5" SSD. Installed newest Win10, did updates, installed Firefox newest (86.0?).

I just opened six YT videos all at once, and all of their audio was playing, and none of them dropped out, and CPU usage (had Task Manager up), was under 50%, and GPU usage was probably under 35%.

So, unless Twitch is somehow extraordinarily demanding, then this rig should probably handle 10x YT streams at once... at least.

So, not sure what my friend's issue was... he ALWAYS seems to have "issues". (HDD spjn-up noise being one of them.)

On the Slim Desktop with the Celeron, he keeps getting the "busy" mouse cursor, every few seconds. I've seen that before, on some rigs, and I don't know what it is, exactly. His rig does have a DVD-RW in it, and that "busy" might be the "AutoPlay" settings, trying to poll the DVD drive every few seconds. Or maybe he already has malware on his system, from visiting "movie sites".

Edit: Friend has 500GB WD Black NVMe SSD for OS, not a HDD. Factory HDD is now a secondary.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Or maybe he already has malware on his system, from visiting "movie sites".
ding ding ding! Mouse cursor thing makes me wonder.

There actually was a reason for posting this thread. Friend of mine that I sold an HP Slim Desktop, with a 10th-Gen Celeron G5900 dual-core 3.4Ghz CPU and UHD610 graphics, complained that he was having issues with streams stopping (2x 1080P YT, and 1x Twitch), after minimizing them.
That sounds like a power saving setting of some sort.

I never have any issues with an ancient intel 4790k iGPU on a multimonitor setup. It can play as many as it wants.

I saw crappy Celeron a few years ago have play back issues, but it would simply reduce the quality (drop frames / noticeable blocking ) of streams it could not keep up with. Never stopped them though.

I suspect the issue has nothing to do with the GPU.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
from what I noticed web browsers or the websites behaviors have changed a bit the last few years,
a while back if I minimized a twitch stream it would continue playing the same,
now it most of the time will try to automatically lower the bitrate or even stop playing the video and just continue playing the audio, so when I maximize it again it has to adjust back to playing/full res and it often fails during that process,
it seems more like a software thing

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
With GVT-g you can turn the iGPU into 7+1host different GPU slices. No idea if the decode block works with this, I was using it for quicksync and a heaven benchmark at the same time though.