Intel HD 4000

CornellEngineer

Sep 16, 2012
Component selection for my first build is almost done and most parts have been ordered and are starting to trickle in.

Was wondering if anybody had any rough idea what the integrated graphics on the i5-3570K were approximately "equivalent" to as far as older GeForce/Radeon cards are concerned? Was toying with the idea of just throwing in a cheap older GPU for starters just to get my new rig up and running, but that would be kinda stupid to waste too much money on a card that wasn't much better than what already comes on the CPU. Probably better to just save that cash for a decent graphics card when upgrading a little down the road.

Found this good AT article that provides some representative benchmarks for the i7-3770K vs a few older GPUs that shows examples kinda along my line of thinking...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/14

Am I correct in assuming that the 3570K numbers would be a little lower?

Of all the various different aspects of designing a new computer system, I've found GPUs the most difficult...partly because this is an area I've done the least amount of research so far and partly because of the bewildering multitude of available options.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
What do you want to do with the graphics?

HD_2000_ is good enough for Torchlight 1 and Half-Life 2, as well as any non-gaming task.

Look at the graphics articles covering HD2000/3000 and see if that performance is good enough for you.

CornellEngineer

Sep 16, 2012
Pretty sure most or even all of my engineering apps will be plenty happy running off the CPU graphics. But I know it won't cut it for playtime.

Think maybe I'll just skip the cheap GPU for now and then when I can no longer stand sub-par graphics performance while gaming hopefully by then I'll have figured out which GPU to spring for.

CornellEngineer

Sep 16, 2012
It should be around the same.

What are you using the system for?

Wow, according to AR's most excellent GPU hierarchy table, even 2-year-old cards like the GeForce GT 430 that can be had for around 50 bucks would still provide a performance boost to a shiny new 3570K chip.

Looks like the boys over at ol' Intel still have a ways to go on their integrated graphics.