News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 103 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
We already know there are three cards. Those have long since been announced. We just don't know exact dates for each of them.

Yes, but in this video there's an actual A750 card inside that case running a game. I think the launch will be sooner than latter.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Yes, but in this video there's an actual A750 card inside that case running a game. I think the launch will be sooner than latter.

This video also has a discussion with Intel Graphics Engineer Tom Petersen.

00:00 - Intel Arc GPU Design
02:15 - Intel's Naming Scheme Explained
03:51 - 2 Different Chips (ACM-G10 & ACM-G11 Specs)
05:43 - Engineering Discussion on Core Width & Design
07:00 - Cache, PCIe Generation, Lane Count Limits
08:18 - Why Only 8 PCIe Lanes?
09:23 - Intel A380 Specs & Price
10:55 - Arc Frequency Explained
14:11 - Power Consumption & Overclocking
17:13 - Driver Challenges & Reality
20:04 - Xe Core Deeper Dive (Architecture)
23:19 - Vector Units, Matrix Units, & Shaders
26:07 - Timelines, Launches

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
This video also has a discussion with Intel Graphics Engineer Tom Petersen.

00:00 - Intel Arc GPU Design
02:15 - Intel's Naming Scheme Explained
03:51 - 2 Different Chips (ACM-G10 & ACM-G11 Specs)
05:43 - Engineering Discussion on Core Width & Design
07:00 - Cache, PCIe Generation, Lane Count Limits
08:18 - Why Only 8 PCIe Lanes?
09:23 - Intel A380 Specs & Price
10:55 - Arc Frequency Explained
14:11 - Power Consumption & Overclocking
17:13 - Driver Challenges & Reality
20:04 - Xe Core Deeper Dive (Architecture)
23:19 - Vector Units, Matrix Units, & Shaders
26:07 - Timelines, Launches
This video?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Yeah. Normally, I bet she would have left it alone but on that particular day, she saw the weird colorful activity on the screen (defragging the bits and pieces to make them contiguous) and probably thought you had left some animation thingy running or maybe even a screensaver and decided it should be turned off, for reasons only she knows. Did you ask her why?

I suspect the monitor was off. My mother never really did anything with computers, closest might be using a typewriter in high school and telling my brother to send emails to some customers for her. I believe she felt it was wasting power and complained I left the PC on all the time...which I generally didn't unless it was doing something. I was rather annoyed at the time but since it Windows 98 I was probably going to be doing a reinstall in a few weeks anyway.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

The A380 is already launched in china, but they can only be purchased as part of prebuilt systems. The other cards will most likely be soon, as hinted by the Intel engineer in the video.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The important Image:
ARC-A750-vs-RTX3060.jpg

Reactions: Tlh97 and NTMBK

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
The important Image:
ARC-A750-vs-RTX3060.jpg

Haha, does it count if they render half the textures or something?

Or if they video card can only reliably run those five games until they get updated :D

I will be hugely skeptical for some time here - I was pretty underwhelmed by the performance of the onboard GPU on the 12400 vs a 3400G on two builds I did at the same time.

Unless these are using different driver stacks, haven't they been delivering massive quantities of these GPUs in prebuilt systems for something like the last 18 months (11th gen in laptops has been shipping for a long time, almost two years!) so they should have been gathering a ton of telemetry data in that time. I know plenty of people who game on those things in painful ways, so there had to be something there.

I'll go ahead and be disappointed. If they had been able to drop even a year sooner, they reception (and grace) they would have received would have been exponentially higher.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Haha, does it count if they render half the textures or something?

Or if they video card can only reliably run those five games until they get updated :D

I will be hugely skeptical for some time here - I was pretty underwhelmed by the performance of the onboard GPU on the 12400 vs a 3400G on two builds I did at the same time.

Unless these are using different driver stacks, haven't they been delivering massive quantities of these GPUs in prebuilt systems for something like the last 18 months (11th gen in laptops has been shipping for a long time, almost two years!) so they should have been gathering a ton of telemetry data in that time. I know plenty of people who game on those things in painful ways, so there had to be something there.

I'll go ahead and be disappointed. If they had been able to drop even a year sooner, they reception (and grace) they would have received would have been exponentially higher.
giphy.gif

The iGPU on most of Intel's lineup is for biz use. Xe is the gaming version. Still not quite up to Vega at its best, but you can play a lot of games with it. zWormz youtube channel played the most popular Steam games on a Xe setup and it did pretty well. Drivers can be wonky in some titles. But that goes back to them focusing elsewhere for so long.

And AMD will be putting basic iGPU on upcoming Ryzen for the same reasons Intel has done it for so long.

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017
The important Image:
ARC-A750-vs-RTX3060.jpg
Besides only having 5 games no "older" ones and/or DX11 titles. Whew. Probably because they're like 40% slower in those. :laughing:

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003
Besides only having 5 games no "older" ones and/or DX11 titles. Whew. Probably because they're like 40% slower in those. :laughing:

For their first outing its better than I thought, delays, rumoured delays notwithstanding. We can’t expect their graphic drivers to be on par with AMD and Nvidia at this point, and they’re being transparent about that, which is refreshing.Hope they succeed enough to make me want to buy one, we need the competition.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
They just need to rapidly develop their driver. It does look like the hardware is capable but the performance will be all over the place since they have optimised the driver for handful of games (and <=DX11 performance sucks).

Anyway, interesting to see how things develop.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
They just need to rapidly develop their driver. It does look like the hardware is capable but the performance will be all over the place since they have optimised the driver for handful of games (and <=DX11 performance sucks).

Anyway, interesting to see how things develop.

They said there that performance is when "everything aligns". I don't expect huge gains or something that'll tilt it in it's favor.

Honesty is a good direction to go. Didn't hate the Tom Petersen video either(especially Ryan Shrout in the background) but I thought it wasn't anything they didn't say before. Only thing new was about him saying DX11 and older titles have ways to go and they were not gaming focused. Nevermind HD Graphics, I doubt even Iris Xe was gaming focused. So NOW they'll get real feedback and what to do. I was right - they have to go through the pains to improve.

I am against firing anyone in high positions. If Raja or Lisa is at fault they should be demoted. Firing is a form of virtue signaling. Not only you risk them releasing important data out of vengeance you signal the rest of employees your decades of loyalty is worth less than a pile of dung and lower morale. Also you lose another experienced employee. How do you think Intel lost Pat in the first place? Fortunately from what I can glean Gelsinger is above the average so good policies will propagate down.

I was rather annoyed at the time but since it Windows 98 I was probably going to be doing a reinstall in a few weeks anyway.

I credit part of my computer "expertise" growing up starting with Windows 95. The first time I thought it improved greatly was with XP, but it wasn't until Vista most of the issues were resolved. Regardless of all the criticisms I appreciated the properly working account control and UAC from my parents breaking their computer every week pre-Vista. When I got 7, I was bored with computers for the first time having so little issues. With 95 and 98 things had issues daily!

Of course seeing how horrible the Tablet mode is on Windows 10, the world has moved on. Somehow they got worse from Windows 8 and 8.1. And they say Intel's the only fault.

Last edited:

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I like how they are admitting to being poor in many games and merely promising to work hard on improving things. Not that it will make me want to get one.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Man, I consider myself to be extremely pessimistic towards Intel, but I feel like this conversation has devolved from a discussion about upcoming GPUs into making fun of Intel for an unreleased product. How about we wait a bit and see where the higher end cards land, and more importantly, what they cost?

• Love
Reactions: Hotrod2go

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Man, I consider myself to be extremely pessimistic towards Intel, but I feel like this conversation has devolved from a discussion about upcoming GPUs into making fun of Intel for an unreleased product. How about we wait a bit and see where the higher end cards land, and more importantly, what they cost?
I commend you for your reserve and maturity. I however, do not share that mirthless demeanor.

An OG microprocessor giant, rumbling, bumbling, stumbling, fumbling, (as Chris Berman would exclaim) because of how top heavy and complacent the company has become, is high comedy. And every joke at their expense is well deserved IMO.

And we ARE discussing the GPUs. Most of the jokes revolve around their failure to put any real effort into gaming drivers, since well, forever. Now they are doing a full court press trying to convince everyone they are going to "kick ass" as the rep told Gamers Nexus. The response around here seems to be - Put up or shut up, as the saying has it.

As to waiting a bit, we already have. And then we waited some more. At this point we be like -

well-waiting.gif

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Intel ARC A770 officially shown:

Reactions: Tlh97 and coercitiv

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
It's pretty clear that improving the drivers sufficiently is not going to be quick. By the time the drivers are no longer total garbage, Battlemage should be out already (although with Intel's ability to deliver on time, who knows). However, going from 'not total garbage' to actually being mostly on par with Nvidia and AMD is way more difficult still, probably taking multiple years even if they try really hard.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017

They specifically explained about this on the Gamers Nexus video, they're leaving DX11 for latter, it requires more work and it's not the priority for now.

Jul 27, 2020
They specifically explained about this on the Gamers Nexus video, they're leaving DX11 for latter, it requires more work and it's not the priority for now.
That probably means many, many years later, if their GPUs are still around by that time. I guess they are so fatigued by the whole effort that they just want to sell something now and worry about compatibility later. So anyone who buys ARC now is buying it for current and (hopefully) future games. Not past games.

Oh well, that means a lot of Steam sale deals will be worthless to them and they can have smaller game libraries. Just pointing out an advantage to going with ARC :)

• Haha
Reactions: KompuKare