News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 158 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
U.K. Steve taking his latest look at ARC. Launch drivers vs the newest beta in CS:GO.

He brought up an issue with the Intel cards I'd forgotten about. A number of reviewers complained of coil whine, and his A750 is one of them.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
GN tests the Acer Bifrost. Sadly, no real benefit over the OEM.

Though I don't know how they physically test GPUs. On a bench or in a case. As a partial blower its benefit would really only be in getting more hot air out of certain cases.

Reactions: Mopetar

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
@IntelUser2000 @mikk

Tom's did indeed nerf that review, they updated it. Probably after quite a bit of blowback by you guys. :D

What we know for certain is that Cyberpunk 2077, Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 5, and Total War: Warhammer 3 all had updates that changed performance and/or settings quite a bit — on some GPUs more than others. Cyberpunk now has DLSS 3 and FSR 2.1 support, Flight Simulator added DLSS 3 and DLAA, and Forza Horizon 5 added DLSS 2 and FSR 2.2 along with TAA. All three of those games also added support for Nvidia Reflex. As for Total War: Warhammer 3, a couple of months back there was a major update that improved performance by roughly 20% on virtually all GPUs.

And those are just the changes that were readily visible. Almost all of the other games in our test suite have also received various updates, and keeping track of what has changed and what remains consistent is difficult. Regardless, we'll have the original launch performance data in our charts, with an asterisk indicating it's from a different version of the game and may not reflect current performance. Just for good measure, we also applied all the latest Windows 11 updates and flashed our motherboard BIOS.

And that last line is a bit of a problem. One of the relatively recent Windows 11 updates force-enabled Virtualization Based Security (VBS). You can still turn this off, but we didn't realize it was on until after testing was completed. So, if you saw this article earlier and we talked about how performance dropped about 7% on average since our launch testing last year, that's the explanation. We retested the A750 with VBS disabled and found that, in general, performance matched or exceeded our October 2022 results and was around 7% faster than our current VBS-enabled testing.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
MRW it tried to install on one of my systems

giphy.gif

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Halo Infinite still performs very bad on Arc, Intel told this will be addressed in a future driver update.

Driver 4146 fixed it, Intel says 40% better performance.

This week’s driver updates to Halo Infinite will have the Covenant running scared — react quicker to enemy threats with the A750 now hitting 120 FPS at 1080p Ultra or 91 FPS at 1440p. You just got augmented to become 40% faster, Spartan.

This driver also improves idle power usage with 2 monitors (depending on refresh rate and resolution)

Seems to be a success! Idle Power with more than one monitor is down to normal levels and also seems a bit lower in general.

4091:
Single 2560x1080: 11 W
2560x1080 + 1600x900: 38-40 W

4146:
Single 2560x1080: 7-8 W
2560x1080 + 1600x900: 8-9 W

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
HUB revisit of ARC. Reflects what we have been seeing elsewhere. Nice to see Aussie Steve saying the A750 is becoming a compelling value option. They have been giving it away in Japan; hopefully we see it under $200 here in the U.S. I'd snatch one up at $200.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
After correction, it turned out that out of 13 million standalone GPUs for desktops and notebooks sold last quarter, Nvidia shipped 85%, AMD supplied 9%, and Intel sold 6%.

Only 3% difference between Intel and AMD dGPU shipments during Q4 2022? How is this possible? Q4 wasn't even ideal because in the first part of Q4 Arc dGPU availability was poor.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

Only 3% difference between Intel and AMD dGPU shipments during Q4 2022? How is this possible? Q4 wasn't even ideal because in the first part of Q4 Arc dGPU availability was poor.

They mention that these are numbers that are sold into the channel (i.e., they track numbers sold to distributors, not to end customers) and so it may be indicating that Intel is selling better than they actually are. Or, it could be that Intel is using it's OEM partner relations (i.e., making deals to / strong arming OEMs to include their discrete GPUs) to push volume. Or it could be a combination of the two. It could also be that Intel really is selling almost as well as AMD in discrete GPUs, but I find that to be the least likely given their lack of popularity on any tech or gaming forum/group.

Whatever the situation is, Intel is selling a lot of silicon for not a lot of money and burning through cash like crazy to support their GPU division. This is not sustainable, especially given Intel's recent stumbles on the CPU side as well. At some point soon they will need to actually raise prices enough to start making money with their GPUs which means they'll need to put out a product that is competitive in terms of performance per die size and VRAM.

Reactions: Tlh97 and KompuKare

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Only 3% difference between Intel and AMD dGPU shipments during Q4 2022? How is this possible?
Su ""continue to ship below consumption in the first quarter to reduce downstream inventory" Continue is the operative word. Not a problem for Intel, since Q4 was all about getting their entry in most markets rolling along.

And while shipments don't equal sales. With the firesale pricing in Japan, for instance, ARC is flying off the shelves. If they want to see the install base skyrocket, they need to do that here in the U.S. ARC will go gangbusters. I am hoping all of these recent revisits by tech sites, are a prelude to that. I doubt Intel is happy with the slow uptake here. Once the "collectors" were cleared out early on, the Intel LE cards have been in stock ever since. They can change that.

I think most of us agree, ARC is now a good value. But the rocky start (to be expected), and early bad press, is a big hump to get over. It worked in Japan, it can work here. Get them in people's PCs, and forget about margins for now. Once you have the install base large enough, game developers have to take your tech seriously. Plus you will have set the stage for Battlemage to work some price to performance wizardry in the all important value market.

Feb 4, 2009
HUB revisit of ARC. Reflects what we have been seeing elsewhere. Nice to see Aussie Steve saying the A750 is becoming a compelling value option. They have been giving it away in Japan; hopefully we see it under $200 here in the U.S. I'd snatch one up at $200.

Not sure if I’d get one however as I stated previously this would be a wonderful mid range card for $200 to $250-ish.
Nice improvement vs my 1660ti.
I certainly would do it if I needed a new card or had an oddball issue with my current card.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
At some point soon they will need to actually raise prices enough to start making money with their GPUs which means they'll need to put out a product that is competitive in terms of performance per die size and VRAM.
I think I as wrote above, they need to forget about ROI on Alchemist and get them all sold. You show up late to the party with performance that is at best on par with similarly priced 2yr old cards. Those companies will have their next gen out soon. Take the big L this gen, and settle for an install base. /my hot take.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Not sure if I’d get one however as I stated previously this would be a wonderful mid range card for $200 to $250-ish.
Nice improvement vs my 1660ti.
I certainly would do it if I needed a new card or had an oddball issue with my current card.
At some point you have to stop cheering and get in the game. ;) If you don't support them now, there may not be a later. Wait for the next price cut, and pull the trigger. You can recoup part of the cost by selling your card here.

Thoughts and prayers/positive sentiments don't do jack crap, and Jack left town. Vote with your wallet, it is the only thing that works.

Feb 4, 2009
At some point you have to stop cheering and get in the game. ;) If you don't support them now, there may not be a later. Wait for the next price cut, and pull the trigger. You can recoup part of the cost by selling your card here.

Thoughts and prayers/positive sentiments don't do jack crap, and Jack left town. Vote with your wallet, it is the only thing that works.
Agreed and feedback accepted. I’m currently thinking the next round will be where I jump in.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

I bought an A380 on sale just for the novelty value. I didn't need a new HTPC card, but that AV1 decoder/encoder was just too tempting to play with. Performance is still a bit meh, but I don't play anything demanding on it anyway.

So far so good.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Using it in a single PC with another dGPU? Or you have it in a spare PC?

I'm currently using it in my (other) HTPC, since the 3600 in it doesn't have display output.

Any odd behavior? Like display blanking out? Driver crashes requiring reboots or any other general instability?

There was one crash, but I'm not entirely sure it was due to any driver related issues. So far, so good.

Drivers (I started with 4091) seem to be working fine for general purpose browsing and video watching. Can't really comment on gaming, since I haven't done a lot of that yet on that system.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Don't know if this was mentioned in the thread already, apparently Aurora dGPUs were responsible for the noticeable bump in market share:
I'm not sure whether to take this seriously. Due to all the delays and resulting contract penalties Aurora is already known to be at cost at best, if not even a loss leader for Intel. So Aurora GPUs raising the overall ASP seems off. Also how small has to be the overall shipment if 60k units are this significant?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I'm not sure whether to take this seriously. Due to all the delays and resulting contract penalties Aurora is already known to be at cost at best, if not even a loss leader for Intel. So Aurora GPUs raising the overall ASP seems off. Also how small has to be the overall shipment if 60k units are this significant?
I didn't know what to make of it either, but it's important to note this firm's data is used by Tom's Hardware for their market share reporting. If they're so easily thrown off, what does that say about their historical data so far? We should also consider their reasoning for issuing the correction, I would argue it's in their best interest to feel more confident about the correction than their initial estimate.

Anyway, we'll get this sorted out using Q1 2023 data.