Intel/Gigabyte RAID Offline

nanite10

Jul 8, 2009
Hello everyone,

I have a Gigabyte EX58 UD5P motherboard with a Core i7 and a hardware RAID through the Intel ICH10. I have four Seagate drives attached to this RAID in a 10 configuration. The board hasn't been the best, especially with regard to stability. However, the other day the RAID degraded two of the drives in the RAID 10. The raid was still functional, but the next day when I rebooted the computer, the entire array is listed as "offline".

It does not appear as though any of the seagate drives are dead, no indication or warning ... they show up just fine in the bios and were all usable the other day. So, this has me thinking that the issues is probably with the hardware RAID somehow dieing on the motherboard. :( It's a good $350 mobo when I bought it, so I'm not impressed to say the least.

Does anyone think there's anything else to try other than RMA time?

Thank you for the help!

StraightPipe

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2003
if you have another PC, pull each drive and mount them individually so you can run diagnostics on them. If 3 of your drives dropped, then your array will go offline. Sounds like you've probably got a bad batch of drives or a RAID controller that is failing (most likely).

check your cables to be sure they are plugged in, also you may want to consider your PSU. If it's too weak to power on all those drives, they could fall offline.

How about you give some details: HDD models? Mobo?

Seagate has had some major firmware problems on their last line of sata drives, firmware update fixes it.