Intel ensures Atom's uselessness

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: piesquared
It looks like Intel has just legitimized an excellent alternative in Via's Trinity platform. Trinity would certainly be my choice if I were looking.

But how many tier 1 netbooks will actually use a Via CPU/NV IGP? I see a few HP models using the Via C7-M ULV at the Egg right now, but nothing else.

I'd love to see more variation in netbooks myself. Most seem to use the Atom, 1GB of RAM, and the GMA950, causing identical performance across the board. It'd be great to have the choice of an Atom with an Nvidia chipset/IGP, or a Via CPU/Nv chipset, etc.

Personally, I think Intel should allow the Atom to be sold and used separately from the anemic 945 chipset. I ran some 3Dmark 2001/2003 tests on my Asus 904HA. It posted 2805 in 3DM 2k1 and 780 in 3DM 2k3. Granted, nobody will ever accuse a netbook of being a gaming machine, but it'd be nice to actually be able to play HD video and have some 3D capability.

Edit - Seems it was fake. Though, I am still a little miffed about being limited to only Atom/GMA950 netbooks.

Oct 19, 2006
I think there is difference between Sli on Nvidia chipsets only and this. SLI is a feature of Nvidia chipsets, not a chipset itself. Nvidia is willing to sell a pci-e bridge chip to intel or charge a licening fee for use of sli technology. Intel is saying, "you can't have the atom unless you buy the 945G". The 945G is not part of the atom nor is it a feature of the atom, it is a seperate product.

Think of intel this way. You go to the car dealer looking for a corolla. The sales guy says you can buy the corolla but only if you also buy a tundra as well. But you want a sports car for second car. It just happens that toyota doesn't make a sports car, so they won't sell you the corolla.

Nvida on the other hand: Say your trying to buy a lexus with a sat nav system. The sales guy is going to say "it's a nice extra that will set you back $3000". Then try asking him if they will put a lexus navigation system in a honda, becasue the lexus is to expensive, but you really like the lexus navigation system.

I'm not sure about the legalities of any of this but, seems fishy to me.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
well, that is good, what is wrong with intel giving significant discounts?
Part of the benefit of competition is lowering of prices :)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I fail to see what all the hub-bub is about here. It's Intel's product, they have the right to limit its scope of implementation however they see fit. This would be a non-story if it were any other company than Intel (or Microsoft).

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I'm not arguing their right to limit its scope in any way.

I just wish if they're going to limit it they would at least develop a decent chipset to use with it. That's what nV has produced but since they don't have the license to manufacture x86 cpus they cannot make a processor to run their creation.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
It would seem like a win-win situation for intel to allow this NV chipset to go forward. It would make the Atom platform more attractive.

IMO the dual-core Atom will be a bigger deal than this chipset.

zerodeefex

Jan 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Atechie
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
They are both niches, don't post FUD

Im not sure where your from but in this world even a circus chimp that gets paid can get a netbook..

I am from this world, and while i see netbook's here and there, I see no more of them than I see multi-GPU setups.

A netbook is between a craptop and a mobilephone preformancewise and turd where is matters.
Miniscule screen, the keybaord is made for small disabled monkeys..and any use besides light browsing and wordprocessing wwould be pointless.

It the "buzz" this year...next year we will have moved on (Intels roadmap for the Atom line dicates this)..go figure.

Only people I've seen who have problems typing on the larger, 92/93% keyboards are folks with chubby fingers :)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: SickBeast
It would seem like a win-win situation for intel to allow this NV chipset to go forward. It would make the Atom platform more attractive.

IMO the dual-core Atom will be a bigger deal than this chipset.

The reason Intel is 'hesitant' to allow Ion is because they are worried it would cut into the sales of their higher end offerings. Why sell a bargain priced Atom for 25 dollars when they can sell you a Core 2 Duo for 120?

Personally, I think the Atom is a nifty little chip that speaks to the masses very well given the 'factors' of the economy right now. But if Intel locks it down, it'll still sell because its Intel, and therefore good, but the consumer will suffer for it.

I sincerely hope we see more from the Via Nano in 2009. The chip and platform look good, but its up to manufacturers to build products around it.

I don't think Nvidia has the license to sell an x86 compatible, their Tegra uses ARM. Via can because of their purchase of Cyrix and their properties. I don't think the Tegra even has the processing power for a netbook, isn't it built more for smartphone type devices? Still, Nvidia could design a chipset around the Via Nano that would utilize their superior IGPs.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Low speed single core celerons could probably eat a lot of atom's market if Intel didn't disable the power management features on their low end chips. Still, a low end 45nm Pentium branded core 2 duo could probably knock some heads, especially if down clocked. Right now slowest 45nm Pentium dual core is the e5200, 2.5ghz for $80. Run that at 1.6ghz or so and you might have an atom competitor.

On the AMD side, even a low end sempron should give atom a decent run (beat it if hyperthreading isn't used). AMD really needs to rebrand the single core semprons into a power efficient processor. They could charge more, and the semprons already beat the via nano in performance/watt. If I could build my own netbook, if would have a sempron downclocked to sub 2ghz with an nvidia or ati integrated graphics chip.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Fox5
Low speed single core celerons could probably eat a lot of atom's market if Intel didn't disable the power management features on their low end chips. Still, a low end 45nm Pentium branded core 2 duo could probably knock some heads, especially if down clocked. Right now slowest 45nm Pentium dual core is the e5200, 2.5ghz for $80. Run that at 1.6ghz or so and you might have an atom competitor.

On the AMD side, even a low end sempron should give atom a decent run (beat it if hyperthreading isn't used). AMD really needs to rebrand the single core semprons into a power efficient processor. They could charge more, and the semprons already beat the via nano in performance/watt. If I could build my own netbook, if would have a sempron downclocked to sub 2ghz with an nvidia or ati integrated graphics chip.

I was under the impression that a 900mhz celly (non-core architecture) was roughly equivalent to the 1.6ghz atom?

A sempron should obliterate the atom, clock for clock (heck, my old tbred-b should obliterate the atom, clock for clock).

You could run the e5200 at significantly lower than 1.6 and comfortably best an atom at 1.6, but as I understand it most mobos won't let you drop the voltage below about .8v however, which would limit your power floor considerably.

To put it into perspective, my 'old' 65nm Q6600 in a fully featured P5Q PRO mobo, 4GB DDR2, PCI-E HD3450 256MB, a 750GB 32mb cache Spinpoint, PCI HDTV card, stock hsf and two 120mm case fans ticks over between 55-60W in light office/net/winamp duties. It would be at 1.6Ghz and speedstepped down to about .98vcore in that scenario.

I would assume with some tweaking you could get a core-based 45nm celeron like the e5200, an little integrated mobo with a decent igp, a SSD or other lower power HDD, and passive cooling (or just one 120mm) quite considerably below that power draw. Would be a fun project :)

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Atom is decent, clock for clock, once hyperthreading is taken into account. It gets the kind of performance benefit that could convince you it's two really crappy cpus working in tandem.
I think the lowest any of the core 2 duo's will run is 1.6ghz, you can't drop the memory clock and multiplier below a certain point. Maybe 1.2Ghz at the lowest.
I believe semprons can drop to 800Mhz. Back in the day, Tom's Hardware had a test where they had an Athlon XP running at like 300Mhz. It used like 3W and bested the "low power" cpus of the day.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Atom is decent, clock for clock, once hyperthreading is taken into account. It gets the kind of performance benefit that could convince you it's two really crappy cpus working in tandem.
I think the lowest any of the core 2 duo's will run is 1.6ghz, you can't drop the memory clock and multiplier below a certain point. Maybe 1.2Ghz at the lowest.
I believe semprons can drop to 800Mhz. Back in the day, Tom's Hardware had a test where they had an Athlon XP running at like 300Mhz. It used like 3W and bested the "low power" cpus of the day.

Interesting info about the cores and a lower speed floor, I will try my quad when I get home, I know that the asus EPU-6 engine already reduces my rig to about 1.5Ghz in the lower usage setting by reducing the fsb in conjuntion with speedstep dropping the multiplier, so I will see how low I can go.

I'm not home now, but I intend to see how 'low' I can get my Athlon XP (B0 stepping tbred on a KT400 chipset mobo (ASUS A7V8X)) when I do get back. IIRC I've run it at about 600mhz without having to do anything special.

Will combine it with the gf's old GF4 MX440 and see how low-power a net box I can get.

I would imagine that hyperthreading would help atom, but does that generally make up for it's in-order processing and generally cut back architecture? Do in order processors benefit more from it than out of order, because it rarely saved netburst?

Would be cool to see some recent benchmarks, I did ask how it compared to my tbred clock for clock ages back and was advised that my tbred would stomp it.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
1. Your Athlon XP cpu, at a low clock speed and low voltage can be very power efficient. You should be able to get it to the point where a small passive cooler will be enough to keep it running (though not necessarily cool). However, the rest of the system is not power efficient. As far as I know, the old VIA motherboards implemented very little of the power efficiency stuff for shutting down unused components or going into suspend. Additionally, a low speed athlon xp has very little performance, you'd probably have to run a low end Linux system to get any kind of usable desktop out of that. (or an older version of windows, which are insecure, buggy, or lack power management features or some combination thereof)

2. In-order cpus benefit way more from hyperthreading than out of order. Out of order cpus support instruction reordering and are already able to extract some parallelism out of code. Considering the x86 assembly doesn't provide much to help extract parallelism from code explicitly, threading is one way of doing so. All in-order architectures benefit more so from SMT, but the x86 architecture is extra difficult to extract parallelism from the code so it benefits more so. BTW, the new i7's get way more of a boost from hyperthreading than the pentium 4 ever did, but they also have way more execution units available than the p4 did along with a very large L3 cache to keep them fed.

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=28&threadid=2174215
Multi-threading gain of various architectures on SpecInt2KRate:

Power 5: 21%
Pentium 4: less than 5%
Pentium 4 single core to Pentium D dual core: 76%
Atom: 39%

Cinebench gain:
Atom: 53%
Pentium 4: 15%
Pentium Extreme Edition(Smithfield): -7.6%

From: http://download.intel.com/pres...C_Chandrasekher_EN.pdf

I think the implementations of multi-threading on Atom and Nehalem will change people's perspectives on Hyperthreading. The gains are simply amazing here. In-order does take advantage of HT better, but Atom architecture is further optimized to maximize the benefits.

The xbox 360 cpu cores are also in order cores with SMT. From developer comments, it appears that in general, a single core performs about as well as a very low end p4, but with SMT performance increases to the level of a mid to high end Pentium 4 and can even approach clock per clock performance parity with it. (though for floating point SIMD, xbox 360's cores blow away a Pentium 4, I believe they're rated at ~128GFlops combined, whereas i7 is at ~55 GFlops for all 4 cores, though I bet i7 comes much closer to its theoretical rating than the 360)

The Niagra server processors are also in-order and can handle up to 8 threads per core. For certain work loads, for far less power, a low clock speed, and a tiny size per core, they can outperform even high end opterons.

http://www.tomshardware.com/re...Efficient,1981-13.html
Atom sees some decent games from hyperthreading, but is still outperformed by both semprons and celerons. With hyperthreading supported apps, the atom can often catch up to the 1.2Ghz Celeron though. Of course, there are plenty of apps where hyperthreading doesn't help, and you've got something half as slow as the 1.2Ghz celeron. In many apps, atom looks to provide poor performance/watt.
Also, the Sempron with cool n' quiet (or a celeron clocked really low) use about as much power in idle as the atom. They use much more under load, but if you're concerned about power efficiency and not a tiny form factor, you'll spend most of your time idling anyway.

Edit: Note that's Atom with an inefficient desktop chipset. Power consumption should drop with a more power efficient chipset, though I'd imagine the same can be said for the Intel and AMD platforms. Not to mention they have a real performance advantage, and could be downclocked to their minimum and still perform as well as or better than atom.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
SLi is a very niche market. Atom and the netbook is NOT. Here we have a pico-ITX sized PC, capable of playing 1080p blu ray content, consuming negligible amount of power while taking up pretty much no space. Intel has nothing to compare against this platform nVIDIA has prepared. Yet they are denying them this ample opportunity, and bundling the atom with an outdated 945G (a pile of ***p) and the 3 year old ICH7R. Denying the consumers of a platform with loads of potential by dumping old inventory and crap IGPs down our throats.

I agree with what lonyo said. The word "anti trust" springs up here. What they are doing seems very monopolistic. If they had a better platform.. or a better IGP for that matter, things would have been different.

They are both niches, don't post FUD

I'll back CM up here. SLI/Crossfire is a super small percentage of the market. Atom CPU's have the potential to become widespread throughout the handheld device ultra small notebook world. That stretches quite a bit from Niche. So don't be so quick to call FUD. Especially from Cookie Monster.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
1. Your Athlon XP cpu, at a low clock speed and low voltage can be very power efficient. You should be able to get it to the point where a small passive cooler will be enough to keep it running (though not necessarily cool). However, the rest of the system is not power efficient. As far as I know, the old VIA motherboards implemented very little of the power efficiency stuff for shutting down unused components or going into suspend. Additionally, a low speed athlon xp has very little performance, you'd probably have to run a low end Linux system to get any kind of usable desktop out of that. (or an older version of windows, which are insecure, buggy, or lack power management features or some combination thereof)

2. In-order cpus benefit way more from hyperthreading than out of order. Out of order cpus support instruction reordering and are already able to extract some parallelism out of code. Considering the x86 assembly doesn't provide much to help extract parallelism from code explicitly, threading is one way of doing so. All in-order architectures benefit more so from SMT, but the x86 architecture is extra difficult to extract parallelism from the code so it benefits more so. BTW, the new i7's get way more of a boost from hyperthreading than the pentium 4 ever did, but they also have way more execution units available than the p4 did along with a very large L3 cache to keep them fed.

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=28&threadid=2174215
Multi-threading gain of various architectures on SpecInt2KRate:

Power 5: 21%
Pentium 4: less than 5%
Pentium 4 single core to Pentium D dual core: 76%
Atom: 39%

Cinebench gain:
Atom: 53%
Pentium 4: 15%
Pentium Extreme Edition(Smithfield): -7.6%

From: http://download.intel.com/pres...C_Chandrasekher_EN.pdf

I think the implementations of multi-threading on Atom and Nehalem will change people's perspectives on Hyperthreading. The gains are simply amazing here. In-order does take advantage of HT better, but Atom architecture is further optimized to maximize the benefits.

The xbox 360 cpu cores are also in order cores with SMT. From developer comments, it appears that in general, a single core performs about as well as a very low end p4, but with SMT performance increases to the level of a mid to high end Pentium 4 and can even approach clock per clock performance parity with it. (though for floating point SIMD, xbox 360's cores blow away a Pentium 4, I believe they're rated at ~128GFlops combined, whereas i7 is at ~55 GFlops for all 4 cores, though I bet i7 comes much closer to its theoretical rating than the 360)

The Niagra server processors are also in-order and can handle up to 8 threads per core. For certain work loads, for far less power, a low clock speed, and a tiny size per core, they can outperform even high end opterons.

http://www.tomshardware.com/re...Efficient,1981-13.html
Atom sees some decent games from hyperthreading, but is still outperformed by both semprons and celerons. With hyperthreading supported apps, the atom can often catch up to the 1.2Ghz Celeron though. Of course, there are plenty of apps where hyperthreading doesn't help, and you've got something half as slow as the 1.2Ghz celeron. In many apps, atom looks to provide poor performance/watt.
Also, the Sempron with cool n' quiet (or a celeron clocked really low) use about as much power in idle as the atom. They use much more under load, but if you're concerned about power efficiency and not a tiny form factor, you'll spend most of your time idling anyway.

Edit: Note that's Atom with an inefficient desktop chipset. Power consumption should drop with a more power efficient chipset, though I'd imagine the same can be said for the Intel and AMD platforms. Not to mention they have a real performance advantage, and could be downclocked to their minimum and still perform as well as or better than atom.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for the info :beer:

Will provide some updates on my progress with the old tbred box at a later date :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

They have a 1.6Ghz (I think) 15W single-core A64 cpu now in OEM boxes.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
The word "uselessness" is relative. Atom costs substantially less than Celerons and the size and power consumption is not comparable to the desktop chips. The problem with Atom on desktops is that too many users still want all that computing power offered in the higher CPUs.

Anyway, the Diamondville Atom CPUs aren't too impressive. Netbooks/Nettops are really the side-goal for Atom.

Atom can do what the other CPUs can't do. It can scale down. Sony UX UMPC with 4.8 inch screen and Core 2 Solo ULV U1400 can achieve 3 hours battery life with a 35.5WHr battery. Wibrain I1 with Atom Z520 1.33GHz and similar 4.8 inch screen will have 6 hour battery life with 29WHr battery.

Acer Aspire One can do 6 hours with the 57WHr. 20% advantage over the Sony UX with a bigger 8.9 inch screen and same chipset.

If you still want low power, netbooks are going Silverthorne+Poulsbo next year. Substantial amount of power consumption will be cut for both idle and load power consumption. Of course, chipset and CPU isn't everything it will contribute to a decent amount.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I saw this about the Via Nano

Its translated from Chinese, but it looks like we'll see good things from the Nano in 2009.

Of course, it all depends on whether or not Acer/MSI/Asus/HP/Samsung/Sager/Dell/etc make products around it. Hopefully they do, I'm a little sick of seeing the same combination of 1.6Ghz Atom/1GB RAM/GMA950 in every single netbook.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I just saw this report over at bit-tech. Apparently Intel won't offer their Atom processor without the 945GC chipset bundle. So much for Ion.

/sniff