Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 904 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Apple just gained 500MHz on the M3 using N3B. I am getting more skeptical of these major clock regression rumors of ARL. the poor ST performance might just be because LNC IPC uplift is disappointing or because these projections aren't final.
Sorry to repeat myself (for those that have read what I've written elsewhere), but it's been reported multiple times that Intel won't be taking any N3B wafers at all. Arrow Lake compute tiles are likely to be on 20a only.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Sorry to repeat myself (for those that have read what I've written elsewhere), but it's been reported multiple times that Intel won't be taking any N3B wafers at all. Arrow Lake compute tiles are likely to be on 20a only.

Reported multiple times lol. This FUD. Keep repeating your FUD.

Goop_reformed

Sep 23, 2023

so 128 Core system pulling near 1000 Watts. A single Bergamo pulls One Third of that.
1/3 is a little bit too much. It's more like half.

350-400W vs 720W ++

Last edited:

Goop_reformed

Sep 23, 2023
Of course the final product could perform differently, they're called projections for a reason. They're the targets Intel have set for themselves to hit effectively. They could exceed or fall behind those targets when it comes to the real deal, but thats something we'll only find out when retail silicon comes to market (or is close to doing so).

And I thought the biggest nonsense ever was uttered by you. No wonder you like wccftech comments section.

Yeah this is not running away at all. At least own up to it like a man.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Reported multiple times lol. This FUD. Keep repeating your FUD.

MacRumors says 100%, DigiTimes says 90% (with no indication of who else is getting N3B). Multiple Apple enthusiast sites are repeating this information. If they're wrong they're wrong, but . . .

It really doesn't look like Intel is taking N3B.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

MacRumors says 100%, DigiTimes says 90% (with no indication of who else is getting N3B). Multiple Apple enthusiast sites are repeating this information. If they're wrong they're wrong, but . . .

It really doesn't look like Intel is taking N3B.
Just to be clear with those articles:

1) Digitimes says Apple gets ~90% of N3B and that N3B is ~90% of all N3. So, Apple gets ~90% * ~90% = ~81%. That leaves plenty of leftover capacity for low volume and small size Intel tiles.

2) The MacRumors article simply refers to that Digitimes article, so you are still basing everything on one rumor article. But, that said, MacRumors says "Apple has procured 100% of the initial N3 supply". Notice the bolded words, that still leaves capacity after Apple gets their initial batch.

You seem to be making conclusions that go beyond your sources. I'm not saying Intel gets that remaining capacity. I don't really know. But, Intel itself claims to use N3 (without specifying which version).
1698932151606.png

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You seem to be making conclusions that go beyond your sources. I'm not saying Intel gets that remaining capacity. I don't really know. But, Intel itself claims to use N3 (without specifying which version).

That was the plan. It's possible they cancel it and just roll with Raptor Lake some more.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Just to be clear with those articles:

1) Digitimes says Apple gets ~90% of N3B and that N3B is ~90% of all N3. So, Apple gets ~90% * ~90% = ~81%. That leaves plenty of leftover capacity for low volume and small size Intel tiles.

And MacWorld says Apple gets 100% of N3B so . . .

@jpiniero

Possible. Or they could just lean more-heavily on 20a.

Again if we see N3B showing up in Intel chips then the leaks were wrong and Intel actually took some N3B wafers anyway. It's impossible to entirely dismiss the possibility that Intel changed their plans in flight yet again.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
And MacWorld says Apple gets 100% of N3B so . . .

Again if we see N3B showing up in Intel chips then the leaks were wrong and Intel actually took some N3B wafers anyway. It's impossible to entirely dismiss the possibility that Intel changed their plans in flight yet again.
MacWorld also said Apple may soon switch to N3E, so ...

None of the rumors you posted are incompatible with Intel getting some N3B. Yes, Apple will get most of N3B. But no rumor you have posted has said that Apple will both (1) get all of N3B for long and (2) will stay with N3B for long.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
MacWorld also said Apple may soon switch to N3E, so ...

How is that relevant? It's not like Intel is going to start taking N3B wafers after Apple switches to N3E when Intel is specifically skipping over N3B for N3E.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
How is that relevant? It's not like Intel is going to start taking N3B wafers after Apple switches to N3E when Intel is specifically skipping over N3B for N3E.
You said that Intel couldn't use N3B because Apple is using it according to MacWorld. But then also according to MacWorld, Apple is leaving N3B. Logically then your statement is false if MacWorld is correct--Intel could use N3B.

I'm not saying that it is wrong that Intel may use N3E. It is just that your logic you are using is wrong.

Goop_reformed

Sep 23, 2023
Uh oh it doesn't seem promising for meteor and upcoming lakes

Nova Lake with LLC aka v-cache coming in 1H 2027. That is a whopping 6 years after zen3x3d

Geddagod

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2021
Uh oh it doesn't seem promising for meteor and upcoming lakes

Nova Lake with LLC aka v-cache coming in 1H 2027. That is a whopping 6 years after zen3x3d
The only relevant upcoming lakes is ARL until 2026 anyway, so its not that big of a deal lol.
(Edit: as in big deal, I mean its not a big deal that they wont have a v-cache competitor until 2027 because I doubt they would be very competitive even if they did lol)
Zen 5 is going to have 3d cache while ARL doesn't, and Zen 6 is going to have 3d cache while ARL-R doesn't. So it's not exactly news that they wouldn't have anything like 3d cache (or actually anything too competitive)until they start competing with Zen 7.
Speaking of Zen 7, if Zen 5 is coming 1H 2024, Zen 6 is likely to be 2H 2025, and Zen 7 in 1H 2027. So if NVL? 3D cache variants are coming 1H 2027 (while NVL vanilla comes in 2H 2026)... it's not too bad.

That's just for DIY desktop tho, I have different opinions for server.
And ye ik this is a super late reply lol, but I swear I've gotten ebola or something cuz I have been dying for the past weekend xD

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
The only relevant upcoming lakes is ARL until 2026 anyway, so its not that big of a deal lol.
(Edit: as in big deal, I mean its not a big deal that they wont have a v-cache competitor until 2027 because I doubt they would be very competitive even if they did lol)
Zen 5 is going to have 3d cache while ARL doesn't, and Zen 6 is going to have 3d cache while ARL-R doesn't. So it's not exactly news that they wouldn't have anything like 3d cache (or actually anything too competitive)until they start competing with Zen 7.
Speaking of Zen 7, if Zen 5 is coming 1H 2024, Zen 6 is likely to be 2H 2025, and Zen 7 in 1H 2027. So if NVL? 3D cache variants are coming 1H 2027 (while NVL vanilla comes in 2H 2026)... it's not too bad.

That's just for DIY desktop tho, I have different opinions for server.
And ye ik this is a super late reply lol, but I swear I've gotten ebola or something cuz I have been dying for the past weekend xD
Zen6 would most likely to be last CPU for AM5 motherboards. Zen 7 will likely get new socket and support DDR6, thus I am expecting AMD will try to launch Zen 7 in H2 2026 to compete with Apple and Intel. That's why rumors said that Apple, Intel, nVidia and AMD are among the first to get N2 process from TSMC.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Hilarious!

Link: Intel - Core Truths

Snake Oil... Used car salesman...

This is a new low! (after the rear-view mirror thingy) :tearsofjoy:

While they do kind of have a point, I doubt they want anyone calling them out on their own renaming shenanigans (what is most of their 14th gen again ;)) . I also can't imagine the OEMs (e.g., HP and Dell) really like this type of advertising from Intel since they are the ones who push for this kind of marketing to begin with. . .

With that said, marketing will do marketing things, lol.

Reactions: igor_kavinski