Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 296 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

franklinlora1985

Oct 12, 2020
I think people here are failing to take into account the distinction between mobile and desktop. Desktop usually is about half a year behind mobile.

My money is on Alder Lake release for mobile late '21 and early '22 for desktop, so I don't see how both (Rocket Lake & Alder Lake launch in early & late '21) are mutually exclusive.
According to some leaks, Alder Lake is happening next year. Personally i'm excited for Alder Lake much more than any processor release in the last 3 years. Those Golden Cove cores are very powerful according to leaks. Finally something brand new from intel. Some people inside intel are calling Golden Cove the "next sandy bridge".

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
You sure you are reading the same review? The Asus was weak on 3D. The 17W Swift still outperforms it on Night Raid and Middle Earth game.

You can also see from their previous reviews of Icelake-based UX325 and UX425 that the graphics performance is seriously below expectations. It's not a one-off thing.

I still want to see a proper 25W system such as the XPS and the Yoga.

There is no performance score for Night Raid, this is from the slower standard mode. I'm looking at the Cinebench R20 score.

UX371E Performance= 1975
Swift 3 SF313-53= 1885 (best run)
Swift 3 14 SF314-59 : 2116 cb (best run)

SF314-59 runs with the slower i5-1135G7 and it's faster than both. GPU faster as well with only 80 EUs. All of them have a basic cooling, we will definitely see better results from devices with premium cooling like the Slim 7.

Btw:

1846 points in CB R20....he says it's running at 13W. i7-1185G7 at 28W is barely 20% faster than this. Gaming benchmarks are bad though. Possibly the same performance issue as Notebookcheck or Digitaltrends - performance mode doesn't seem to work for whatever reason.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
There is no performance score for Night Raid, this is from the slower standard mode. I'm looking at the Cinebench R20 score.

UX371E Performance= 1975
Swift 3 SF313-53= 1885 (best run)
Swift 3 14 SF314-59 : 2116 cb (best run)

SF314-59 runs with the slower i5-1135G7 and it's faster than both. GPU faster as well with only 80 EUs. All of them have a basic cooling, we will definitely see better results from devices with premium cooling like the Slim 7.

Btw:

1846 points in CB R20....he says it's running at 13W. i7-1185G7 at 28W is barely 20% faster than this. Gaming benchmarks are bad though. Possibly the same performance issue as Notebookcheck or Digitaltrends - performance mode doesn't seem to work for whatever reason.

There cant be only 20% better perf from 13W to 28W, actually the former is at about 18W on average the time it takes to make the bench, assuming the latter is effectively at 28W.

13W is eventually for sustained loads whose execution time is longer than a single CB run, at NBC you can see the real score at 13W or whatever is the sustained power after a few consecutive runs..

Spartak

Jul 4, 2015
According to some leaks, Alder Lake is happening next year. Personally i'm excited for Alder Lake much more than any processor release in the last 3 years. Those Golden Cove cores are very powerful according to leaks. Finally something brand new from intel. Some people inside intel are calling Golden Cove the "next sandy bridge".

Me too. But I heard ocean cove could be yet another IPC/perfromance leap? Does anybody have any rumors /info on ocean cove/meteor lake, when it's expected on the desktop (year after alder lake-S?) and whether it will be 7nm for the desktop as well? sounds a bit too optimistic to me. I'm expecting meteor lake to arrive at the desktop probably a year after it arrives on mobile on the 7+ node so if everything goes according to plan that would be fall 2023.

I usually buy my CPU's around a year after introduction when prices have come down and I can see what the next year will bring. If there is another big jump I might skip alder lake as well. 2021/2022 are going to be exciting years I think for those that prefer or need intel CPU's. For me, it's both. As my desktop rig is thin mini-ITX I'm bound to Intel, but I also prefer Intel for their superior user management of TDP and frequency.

Before thin mini-ITX I exclusively bought Cyrix/AMD in the past 25 years so I'm probably the only person in the world that switched to Intel post-Zen LOL.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
There cant be only 20% better perf from 13W to 28W, actually the former is at about 18W on average the time it takes to make the bench, assuming the latter is effectively at 28W.

13W is eventually for sustained loads whose execution time is longer than a single CB run, at NBC you can see the real score at 13W or whatever is the sustained power after a few consecutive runs..

PL2 runs for like 28 seconds with higher power than 13W, this could be the reason.

So yes this device runs really with only 13W in performance mode, this is shocking from Asus. Performance mode is basically useless, 1W difference :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Tlh97

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have a serious question, I may have missed it elsewhere in this thread. With Zen from AMD being so popular, why would Intel name these laptops Zenbook ? Makes it sound like its an AMD product. I thought it was.

Reactions: Drazick

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I have a serious question, I may have missed it elsewhere in this thread. With Zen from AMD being so popular, why would Intel name these laptops Zenbook ? Makes it sound like its an AMD product. I thought it was.

It's Asus' branding, not Intel's, and has been around for much longer than AMD's Zen processors.

Reactions: Elfear and pcp7

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
@mikk Don't you mean it doesn't have scores for performance on Sky Diver and Night Raid?

It clearly shows that on Hothardware.

You could have watched the video.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Why not? Intel is better in most metrics. Unless someone really needs to render on a thin and light there is nothing really against Intel. Asus has to sort out their thermal/software issues in the first place.

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
@mikk Don't you mean it doesn't have scores for performance on Sky Diver and Night Raid?

It clearly shows that on Hothardware.

There is only a standard mode score from Sky Diver. There is a performance mode score from Night Raid but isn't enough, unfortunately they didn't test the more popular firestrike standard and time spy. One a further note from Hothardware:

As we tested, we noticed that some 3D performance was lower than expected--much lower than the Tiger Lake reference platform. To see if we could suss out the cause, we dove into the ZenBook Flip S's UEFI to check out the graphics configuration. The amount of memory pre-allocated to the integrated GPU is always relatively low, but in this case it was set to just 32 MB. The drop-down let us bump that up to 64 MB, which still doesn't seem like a lot, but it got performance in line with where we expected it to be.

pre-allocated memory shouldn't make a difference in performance, the software/bios really seems to be buggy on this device.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
As I said before, Tigerlake systems can't be said to have X TDP anymore. The CPU detects the type of application and it sets TDP dynamically based on it.

One application may have PL1 of 17W, another 25W, yet another 22W. PL2 is actually rarely engaging on these systems.

The sustained performance is far, far more stable than Icelake due to this.

Reactions: lightmanek

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
It's not faster because of the driver. The power allocated to it is higher. You can see it from the CPU package power, the actual power used.

Also by latest driver I think you are talking about the beta driver that only talks about OneAPI. As long as you have the Xe enabler driver I think its fine.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Me too. But I heard ocean cove could be yet another IPC/perfromance leap? Does anybody have any rumors /info on ocean cove/meteor lake, when it's expected on the desktop (year after alder lake-S?) and whether it will be 7nm for the desktop as well? sounds a bit too optimistic to me. I'm expecting meteor lake to arrive at the desktop probably a year after it arrives on mobile on the 7+ node so if everything goes according to plan that would be fall 2023.

It's not Ocean Cove. But to answer regarding Meteor Lake's big core, Alder Lake is probably a better place to upgrade if you're just waiting for a bump in single thread. Keep in mind that Alder Lake S is arriving 2021, while MTL is confirmed not arriving until early 2023-ish, and I believe Bob Swan said that was mobile first. Might be as much as two years between ADL-S and MTL-S in the worst case.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
PL2 runs for like 28 seconds with higher power than 13W, this could be the reason.

So yes this device runs really with only 13W in performance mode, this is shocking from Asus. Performance mode is basically useless, 1W difference :tearsofjoy:

PL2 is at 50W and it doesnt hold long before the device goes at a 25-30W PL1 and then ending definitly at 15W, on the CB R15 test it does 800pts on the first run on performance mode and 600pts on silent mode.

Once the device has warmed it does 500pts on perf/mode and hoover at 400-500pts on silent mode, that being said that s a 13.3" and thermals are limited in such a format, so the perfs, overall are good enough for a device that is used in beds...

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
The original rumor had the i7 at 8C12T. They may have bumped it up to 16T.
Rocket Lake is not big/little, so would it not have to be either 6C/12T or 8C/16T?
I suppose it is possible to enable hypertheading on only half of the cores, but it seems highly unlikely.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I suppose it is possible to enable hypertheading on only half of the cores, but it seems highly unlikely.

You can do per core disable of HT starting with Comet Lake. Now it does make sense to keep the i7 at 8C16T.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I was thinking how Rocket Lake would be segmented, with fewer cores than Comet Lake.
Does this user have sources, or is just speculating?
Rocket Lake Core i7 is the same as i9: 8C/16T, 16 MB L3, just less frequency.

I am willing to bet that the turbo he is quoting is just Intel’s gimmicky Thermal Velocity Boost. Actual boost clocks will be 5.1 ghz.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
I am willing to bet that the turbo he is quoting is just Intel’s gimmicky Thermal Velocity Boost. Actual boost clocks will be 5.1 ghz.
Even 5GHz with 7% better ipc than Skylake is not that shabby at all. Intel must stop the bleeding anyway they can.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
It's not faster because of the driver. The power allocated to it is higher. You can see it from the CPU package power, the actual power used.

Also by latest driver I think you are talking about the beta driver that only talks about OneAPI. As long as you have the Xe enabler driver I think its fine.

Even though it could be a combination of both. All Tigerlake reviews were using the reference review driver build 8439 which is much older than the first public Xe enabler. Anyways all the tested devices were not final. First release bios for the Flip UX371 comes with version 300, Notebookcheck tested with 204. Ultrabookreviews tested the UX393EA with bios 201, the first and only public bios gets version 205.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Intel Alder Lake-S CPU photo leaks