Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 125 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
I'm assuming that ICL-U is using the High performance libraries but not the Ultra Performance libraries where needed
You don't know and we won't know until Intel does a Broadwell-like disclosure of xtor composition of their mobile die.
Intel, with 10nm, went to using three different library types instead of two, each of different densities
As if I don't read foundry papers.
Edit: Also, 10nm has a significant transistor density advantage over 14nm. That increases the heat concentration per mm, which means heat will become a factor necessitating reduction in cycles per second to fit within a temp.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Zen2 CCDs are even denser in heat@mm^2 and clock higher than ICL-U, too.
Meanwhile Intel can't even keep performance from dropping with a "new" core.
Hey, ICL-U ST ~= WHL-U ST.
That's, uh, something.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
Doesn't 7nm HPC have relaxed density compared to 7nm LP?
It is relaxed versus N7 mobile, but I dunno how is that relevant to hear density.
CCD is like, a 74mm^2 blob that radiates hellfire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glo.

jur

Nov 23, 2016
3DPM is a useless benchmark that does nothing but division. CNL/ICL has some special acceleration for divide.

Yes of course, Icelake and Cannonlake have a new integer divider with much smaller latency (18 cycles down from 97 in Skylake). Avx2 also lacks many integer simd instructions which avx-512 does have. This totally explains it. It also means Icelake is going to be awesome for scientific calculations, especially server version with 2 x avx-512.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
The launch is odd, isn't it a bit early? I doubt we will see device in shelves before IFA. Intel didn't even publish a new driver for Icelake. CPU speed seems to be roughly on par with Whiskey Lake, it isn't bad for a new process but definitively not groundbreaking. No wonder Intel is going for 14nm with Rocket Lake. GPU performance seems to be as expected a doubling for the 25W version.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
3DPM is a useless benchmark that does nothing but division. CNL/ICL has some special acceleration for divide.

Um, not it isn't. Dr. Cutress wrote the benchmark and showed us some of the source behind it (it isn't FOSS sadly). If you want me to dredge up the 3DPM thread we had here a few years ago, I can do that. I even wrote a Java implementation that was significantly faster than the old "sloppy" 3DPM 1.0 thanks to it not being pure division and Java8 autovectorizing pretty darn well on AMD and Intel hardware.

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
You don't know and we won't know until Intel does a Broadwell-like disclosure of xtor composition of their mobile die.

As if I don't read foundry papers.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Zen2 CCDs are even denser in heat@mm^2 and clock higher than ICL-U, too.

Hey, ICL-U ST ~= WHL-U ST.
That's, uh, something.

1) you are correct we don't know. All we know is the Ultra Performance Library is about the same density as the High Performance Library from TSMC.

2) If you read them, then why are you asking rhetorical questions when you know my answers?

3) You can't compare simply the processes across different fabs. AMD came from GF 14nm, not TSMC 16/12nm. That means we don't know the speeds they would have achieved with TSMC's process, nor if there would have been a regression on their nodes. We also saw AMD report that they moved up the TAGE branch predictor because they were getting LOWER speeds and needed IPC to compensate, at least until TSMC figured out a way to increase the clock speeds toward the end.

Intel, on the other hand, is having a regression from even the early 14nm Broadwell chips, needless to say the less dense iterations. As you mentioned, only the Ultra Performance library is as dense as the HPC libraries from TSMC, while the HP and other library from Intel are denser. In theory, if not in practice, that makes Intel's chip denser than AMD's. If it is not denser, then Intel is having MANY more problems, although I will note that Intel's information on density and libraries are NEVER anywhere close to what their CPUs have, save FPGA and one other product (I worked out that math months ago, but don't have it on hand, although I think it is in this thread).

But, your statement still doesn't address Intel's other issues, like removing 1 of the 2 dummy gates, using quad patterning or more for their chips, trying to integrate cobalt over active gate and cobalt in other places to counteract the electron bleed, etc. The 10nm node has been a poo show for Intel and EVERYONE knows that. So, considering it was TSMC figuring out how to get more speed at the 11th hour, and with all fabs agreeing that with these densities speed will be regressing (see the AMD server keynote discussing this from this past Spring or last fall, among others), there is no reason to think this isn't an aberration to the general trend, rather than the trend itself.

Not only that, uarch design can ALSO make it where it can not clock as high, rather than just process. Intel made major changes, going very wide on their cores in many respects. That is possible at smaller nodes. But, that doesn't mean those changes will not change the thermal properties of the cores once fabbed, which can effect the top frequency achieved.

4) AMDFan111 made so many statements that needed correction in that post, I just didn't even touch it. Seriously, not worth my time.

Hope that helps a bit.

Doesn't 7nm HPC have relaxed density compared to 7nm LP? I would assume ICL-U would be quite a denser than Zen2 CCDs.

It should be but isn't. 7nm HPC is roughly the density of Intel's 10nm Ultra Performance libraries on density. But Intel's density doesn't ever really approach their stated libraries density, whereas TSMC's products often are much closer to that theoretical value. But I point out other considerations on the topic in my response above this.

It is relaxed versus N7 mobile, but I dunno how is that relevant to hear density.
CCD is like, a 74mm^2 blob that radiates hellfire.
As I stated, see above. Also, evidently Intel's is a hot node too, otherwise it wouldn't be in the 3GHz range, it would be higher.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
But, your statement still doesn't address Intel's other issues, like removing 1 of the 2 dummy gates, using quad patterning or more for their chips, trying to integrate cobalt over active gate and cobalt in other places to counteract the electron bleed, etc
Co is only in M0/M1, COAG is a-okay and SDG was already used by SS.
TSMC also uses Co, albeit only for contacts.
The real problem is SAQP for metal, which will forever haunt Intel.
Intel made major changes, going very wide on their cores in many respects
As if AMD's 11-wide backend is any narrow.
7nm HPC is roughly the density of Intel's 10nm Ultra Performance libraries on density
Uh, no, you don't know.
7HPC in itself is a different node to 7mobile, with relaxed CPP and some other stuff.
Also, evidently Intel's is a hot node too, otherwise it wouldn't be in the 3GHz range, it would be higher.
No, it's in 3GHz range because 10nm is fundamentally broken thus limiting the fmax to silly numbers.

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
Co is only in M0/M1, COAG is a-okay and SDG was already used by SS.
TSMC also uses Co, albeit only for contacts.
The real problem is SAQP for metal, which will forever haunt Intel.

As if AMD's 11-wide backend is any narrow.

Uh, no, you don't know.
7HPC in itself is a different node to 7mobile, with relaxed CPP and some other stuff.

No, it's in 3GHz range because 10nm is fundamentally broken thus limiting the fmax to silly numbers.
SAQP is used by TSMC for 7nm, Samsung has used it, etc. The problem is they tried to make too many changes, couldn't resolve the defect issues, which sure SDG is used on SS, but NOT on a node anywhere near where TSMC 7nm is and Intel 10nm is. A single defect can destroy those transistors, and without EUV, done son, so to speak.

In fact, rumors have it that Intel had to pull back on the aggressive implementation of multiple features to even get ICL yields marketable. This is NOT the 10nm they tried with Cannon and very far from the 10nm that was planned.

And sure, AMD has a pretty wide design as well. But Intel did go wider.

And, yes, I made that comparison here: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...re-rapid-thread.2509080/page-98#post-39821581

I need to clean that post up a bit, as I did the commentary on the fly and have revised some of my statements since, but the information in the infographics is still good and is enough to prove my point. It shows clearly 7HPC is within margin of error type stuff on density versus Intel's published Ultra performance library.

And, although 10nm is broken, it doesn't mean we will get the higher frequency moving forward. Until you get to specific III-V materials, certain 2D materials, or graphene, which requires an injection of a gap to make it usable for this purpose, there won't be a significant increase in frequency. Graphene and Nano-Vacuum tubes hold hope on moving toward THz frequencies, but those are like 7+ years off. We likely won't use either in a significant way except for NVT for space and for military applications while graphene has to wait until 3/2nm to be exhausted, along with other issues solved, before it can be implemented in a meaningful way.

Now, for other 2D materials and III-V materials, we'll have to use them more and more to go to 5nm and beyond due to quantum issues arising. But, as you've shown, you know that already.

Reactions: Dayman1225

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
What part of "for metal" did you miss?
So you are really sticking to your guns on that? So are you suggesting when SAQP is used for such on 5nm and below that there are going to be issues? Because the real problem, as I see it, is Intel designed 10nm for EUV, then due to delays on the litho side, had to use SAQP for elements that NEVER should have been tried without it. The real problem there is lack of planning around the 4 yr delay of EUV. EUV was beyond Intel's control. Their lack of foresight and over aggressive shrinking IS their fault. But that also gets into some of their other design choices winding up as a poo show because they ignored their environment on when EUV would be delivered.

Hell, TSMC and Samsung were moving ahead without proper pellicles which would degrade masks quicker to race to EUV. We both know this.

But I won't say what you are without looking at why that didn't work out. And that gets back to lithography, not the principle itself.

Reactions: Yotsugi

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
So you are really sticking to your guns on that?
What part of "SAQP for metal" did you miss?
Intel 10nm will be the only node in history to do that.
So are you suggesting when SAQP is used for such on 5nm and below that there are going to be issues?
We're not using SAQP for metal going forward, we use EUV.
Because the real problem, as I see it, is Intel designed 10nm for EUV
It wasn't.

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
What part of "SAQP for metal" did you miss?
Intel 10nm will be the only node in history to do that.

We're not using SAQP for metal going forward, we use EUV.

It wasn't.
SAQP refers to the exposure. I see wikichips updated the listing on expectations, although by 3nm, some have suggested we may be moving back to SAQP over SE. Now, that doesn't mean they are right, but we will have to wait until 2021-25 to see if they do move back to it.

Not all of the plans using nanosheets and nanowires with GAAFETs has been worked out, and it is still theory on issues of uniformity to be answered, which is where SAQP on metal would be useful to combat the issues related to uniformity.

But it is reasonable to disagree with its use for such, and there is no way to know, at this moment, who will be correct on that (lots of things can change by then). So you have a fair point there saying SAQP may not be used in conjunction with EUV by that time, specifically on metal. I just hope this explanation shows why I differ on that.

Also, please explain how EUV not being ready was not the root cause. Simply put, do you think Intel could have achieved their goals if EUV were in place?

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
The node was never designed with EUV in mind, period.
Intel expected EUV to be ready by 2015 or 2016. Old roadmaps clearly showed that. So how exactly did they not design for 10nm with it in mind when many things point to them having expected EUV to be ready for 10nm?

Now, once it became apparent EUV wasn't happening, they moved onto solving the issues of integrating cobalt more along with ruthenium, which was found in cannon lake, which both EUV and Cobalt are agreed as needed for scaling below a certain node, even if disagreement on when it needs implemented is found within the industry.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
IPC test is now a power test? Go on, keep shifting the goal posts!

So much for shifting the goal posts, isnt it , you should read better the very quote you allegedly answered to, and then perhaps that you could eventually be able to discuss such matters...

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
The broken 10nm, high speed ram and loads of avx512 code with a touch of cinebench r20 hides the ipc is imo actually quite a let down. So many years...straight off the bat something is not working inside Intel. Its just a let down from such a gigantic monster machine.
Argg. We got amd up and running and then Intel stalled. Great./s

Reactions: .vodka and Gideon

majord

Jul 26, 2015
Some Data after trawling around the reviews.. Notebookcheck left these little Hwinfo nuggets - which contain a surprising amount of data if you dig into it.. especially with the graphs in picture.

notebookchk.png

notebookchk15w.png

Can really see it struggling @ 15 w - Clocks are oscillating between 1.45 and 1.985Ghz . At 25w it's quite steady.. It seems it won't actually scale downwards below 2Ghz, with minimum VID hovering around the 0.7v mark (Which is quite visable in the the graph and is very intriguing, since Zen 2 can go much lower) , so it seems to be taking big frequency drops at this point to stay in power limit as a result

tabled the V/F based on all the VID's shown:

Untitled.png

VID.png
. Looking at The curve plotted like this, can see it does have potential though for higher clocks, it's certainly not hitting a V wall @ 3.9 lets put it that way - it's trending north a little after 3.5Ghz, but not excessively.

Toms Hardware had some interesting numbers for Cinebench r15, which combined with Notebookchecks prime SS's :

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-10nm-ice-lake-test-benchmarks,6257.html
To quote:

At 15W, the i7-1065G7 started at a peak score of 496.9 dropped into the high 460’s and low 470’s before increasing several points in run 7 and 8 and then settling in the mid to low 470’s. During the test, the processor ran at an average of 2.1GHz.

At 25W, it started at 704.3 points, immediately dropped to 641.2, and then settled around 670 points for the rest of the runs.
The CPU ran at an average of 2.8GHz.

From that, can get some sort of IPC graph for CB15 4core/8t throughput - Since the scores were a bit all over the place, I plotted all scenarios, at the clock speeds they observed during run(S) and extrapolated out - end game, somewhere around 950-1000 mark @ its peak turbo of 3.9, Given it was pulling ~185pt ST, this suggests throughput vs ST ratio on cinebench is in the ballpark of Skylake.
cine.png

Combining this with Notebookcheck's HWinfo shots, showing peak package + IA core power + the maximum frequency shown in the graph, we theorize what 8c Icelake might look like @ higher clocks on the desktop with a 65-95ish TDP (take your pick), by simply taking IA Core power numbers, doubling them then adding around 5w for package power

In a nutshell, @ somewhere around the 65-90 TDP it seems an 8c could probably only sustain 3.6Ghz in its current form

8c.png

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Prime95 supports AVX-512 I believe.

Man, the Sunnycove core is a beast! How long before it makes it to desktop?

It's possible that Rocket Lake will use Willow Cove. On the desktop you won't see that until 2021 I imagine, maybe the end of next year.

Now I am not expecting much of an improvement with Willow Cove over Sunny; but being on 14 nm means it could hit 5 Ghz in theory, although how much that would draw, well...

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
but being on 14 nm means it could hit 5 Ghz in theory, although how much that would draw, well
The problem with more complex cores is their tendency to clock lower, and SC is very much a more complex core.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The problem with more complex cores is their tendency to clock lower, and SC is very much a more complex core.

I dunno, I'm just more convinced at this point that the clock speed issues are all 10 nm and nothing else. Broadwell did regress on clocks though.

Should mention that we are likely talking about Willow Cove, which should be designed for higher clocks, even if Sunny Cove was for some reason not. I would not be surprised if Rocket's (Willow Cove) was gutted more than the rumor of the L2 cut back down to 256 kb.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
So much for shifting the goal posts, isnt it , you should read better the very quote you allegedly answered to, and then perhaps that you could eventually be able to discuss such matters...
What does testing at 15 watts got to do with INSTRUCTIONS PER CLOCK, especially in a case where you're testing different uarchs with very different boosting algorithms which introduces even more power variability since none of these chips consumes 15 watts while boosting? You're the only one on the planet who is redefining (unsuccessfully) IPC without even mentioning clocks.