Intel Core i7-9700K review posted ahead of launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in X-Plane 11 that is causes those times when it dropped below 20 fps, it not often it happens, and usually stays between 20-30 fps in huge cities and 30+ over rural areas and small cities. With the stock Cessna 172 the fps are higher in those same situations. I don't want to lower anymore settings. I already minimized reflection details, disabled scenery shadows, and disabled AI aircraft. Sure I could lower more settings to get better performance but I don't think it's worth lowering more settings. 4k should not stress on the CPU more than 1080p because resolution is all GPU. I also have my CPU at stock settings. I plan on upgrading to an i9-9900k.
You have something going on. I run at 4k, on an overclocked Xeon 5660 and a GTX 780. Never below 30. Usually much higher. As much as I hate to suggest it, a clean install of Windows?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
That maybe so, but I don't want to lower any more settings in X-Plane 11. If it's something outside of X-Plane 11 that is causing those drops below 20 fps then I would like to find that out. I don't have any 3rd party security software installed. I have Steam running in the background while X-Plane 11 is running. I have my GPU's power mode set to maximum performance in the driver's settings and the CPU minimum power set to 100% under Windows power management.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in X-Plane 11 that is causes those times when it dropped below 20 fps, it not often it happens, and usually stays between 20-30 fps in huge cities and 30+ over rural areas and small cities. With the stock Cessna 172 the fps are higher in those same situations. I don't want to lower anymore settings. I already minimized reflection details, disabled scenery shadows, and disabled AI aircraft. Sure I could lower more settings to get better performance but I don't think it's worth lowering more settings. 4k should not stress on the CPU more than 1080p because resolution is all GPU. I also have my CPU at stock settings. I plan on upgrading to an i9-9900k.

Drops to 20fps are no big deal on X-Plane 11. It's not like a close up FPS with action everywhere. It's a zoomed out game. I think the clouds are what really hit FPS. If you look @ 1080P, 1440P, 1660P and 4k. The FPS remains the same at all those settings. 4k really does tax the system in clouds. With each update X-Plane 11 just keeps getting better.