Question Intel Core i3 8100T power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I'll start by saying the most critical component in a power efficient PC is the PSU. A poor quality PSU will drown out any savings from a low power CPU. At least go for a gold rated unit, platinum and above are usually not worth the premium, unless you get a good deal. Or really need the efficiency.

It used to be that the T-models had a slightly lower vCore then the regular CPUs. I don't know if that's still a thing post Ivy Bridge. That said, power draw will be pretty much identical at idle between T and non-T, since most of the CPU is power gated already, and hence shutdown.

I doubt there'll be any practical difference.

Generally, the 35W TDP is just a clamp on how much maximum power the CPU can use. It can exceed the limit for short duration too, if thermal conditions allow. Power usage depends on too many things to say anything definite. How many cores are active, AVX vs non-AVX workload etc.

So unless you need the reduced TDP (for cooling reasons), there is little reason to choose a T-series variant.

Can you say what you're planning to use it for? We might be able to give a better recommendation then.

adrhc

Nov 19, 2014
adrhc.go.ro
NAS, HTPC (Plex), router, server (nginx, Elasticsearch, php, mysql, etc), desktop (no gaming) and development (java, angular) occasionally. I use now a N3150 which is slow for development/browsing otherwise perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.