Intel Core i3 540 review + Extreme Overclocking

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by BenchZowner, Apr 16, 2010.

1. BenchZowner

BenchZowner Senior member

I might be a tad late to the party, but I ensure you that it definitely is read-worthy for everyone, the average joe, the budget overclocker and well... the extreme overclocker too.

I just finished and published the review of the newest mainstream Dual-Core processor from Intel, the Core i3 540.

Some quotes from the review:

STOP SPAMMING YOUR SITE HERE
    AT Mod
    Gillbot

The Extreme Overclocking page should be filled with contents this weekend, I'm getting ready to test the i3 540 and an i5 670 on LN2 ( might have a live stream as well )

#1 BenchZowner, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  2. kevinqian

kevinqian Member

I read your review and you were able to OC to 4.1ghz on the stock cooler. But did you have to increase the Vcore and NB voltages to get there? If so, by how much?

3. BenchZowner

BenchZowner Senior member

Yes, for 24/7 stable operation at 4.1GHz I had to raise the CPU Voltage ( Vcore ).
    I don't remember the exact value, but I can find it from my notes.
    Of course the voltage required for stable operation at a specific frequency varies ( from a bit to wildly ) from processor to processor, some require a lot of voltage, some just a bit, and some might be able to do it with their default ( VID ) voltage [ talking in general, not about a specific frequency ].

By NB voltage I assume that you mean the PCH voltage, if yes, then no, I don't need to raise the PCH voltage to hit 4.1GHz with 24/7 stability.

On the other side, if you're confused and thinking of the Vtt ( UnCore / IMC Voltage ) then the answer is yes, I had to raise it just a tad ( 0.05V ).

4. kevinqian

kevinqian Member

Thanks for the response. I will do some trial and error when i get it next week.

5. Gillbot

Gillbot Lifer

STOP SPAMMING YOUR SITE HERE

You can post all the content you wish here for review but you cannot link to your site reviews. The only link you can have is a simple link in your signature.

AT Mod
    Gillbot

6. kevinqian

kevinqian Member

What temps were you hitting at 4.1ghz with the stock cooler? I OC'ed to 3.52ghz and core temps were >80C and i decided to stop before doing any damage.

7. SgtSpoon

SgtSpoon Member

I have never used the stock cooler on my 530 (i'm using coolermaster hyper 212), but i must say that is a ridiculous temperature. Check if your cooler is properly attached, and if the fan is running. With my 530 running at 3.66Ghz, it -never- gets up to 50C (48C is the highest i have seen). I cannot imagine the 540 reaching 80C at 3.5Ghz, since some reviewers were able to reach 4Ghz with stock cooling (and i agree, 80C is not a temperature i would feel comfortable with)

8. AzN

AzN Banned

It's not ridiculous at all. My i3 with Xigmatek 1283 reaches over 70C when orthos @ 4.3ghz and 1.375 volts. With the stock cooler it could easily reach those temps and lower settings. Not all chips are the same nor your temperature reader.

9. miahallen

miahallen Member

Good stuff Bill....thanks for sharing :)

10. kevinqian

kevinqian Member

The heatsink is seated properly. idle temp is low 30s so that means it's functioning. The problem is when Prime95 hits, it shoots up to 80C while OC 3.5ghz. I guess it's time to invest in a better cooler. But before that, I would still like to know how the OP is able to OC to 4.2ghz on the stock cooler without toasting the cpu.

11. clipseza

clipseza Junior Member

I can understand how he got to 4.2ghz on stock cooler since I get even better results than that.

I just got myself i3 540 and using stock cooler I get the following stable:

4.6ghz
    bclock: 200
    multi: 23
    motherboard: cheapass Asrock h55m-le
    vcore: 1.4
    vtt: 1.42

That said, with a better cooler I think I should be able to hit 4.8ghz with this chip.

12. Diogenes2

Diogenes2 Platinum Member

Do tell ...