Intel Core Duo -- MS Dual core hotfix needed?

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
I am purchasing a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) notebook and need to know if the MS dual core hotfix is required or not. I am coming from the AMD world, where it was pretty standard to use the hotfix along with the processor driver (now the processor driver and the "AMD dual core optimizer") but am new on the Intel side of things. Would the same hotfix be needed for a Core 2 Duo desktop as well? I guess the basic question is if the hotfix applies to Intel dual core CPUs and if so, which ones?

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
While you do not need the "MS hotfix" you do need to make sure your core duo is set up properly to optimize dual core. Some mfr's do so and some do not. My Dell E1505 came with the "throttle" key & DWORD value "PerfEnablePackageIdle" set to 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\etc..., BUT the "/usepmtimer" entry was not in my boot.ini file. To make it easier for you here is the link I would read to set up your pc...
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416
GL :)

bjp999

Nov 2, 2006
Originally posted by: JBDan
While you do not need the "MS hotfix" you do need to make sure your core duo is set up properly to optimize dual core. Some mfr's do so and some do not. My Dell E1505 came with the "throttle" key & DWORD value "PerfEnablePackageIdle" set to 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\etc..., BUT the "/usepmtimer" entry was not in my boot.ini file. To make it easier for you here is the link I would read to set up your pc...
Does this really do anything for non-AMD chips? I installed the throttle / PerfEnablePackageIdle and the usepmtimer settings and haven't noticed any difference in 1M SuperPi scores (the only bench I tried).

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
As for super pi I don't know because I dont bench my notebook. In that link I posted it speaks often about the differences with and without the optimization. From what I read (and its a way long thread) it made quite a difference in 3DMark scores and some other gaming scenarios. So I would say yes to your Q in certain situations. Hope that helps.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005

I just did a thorough read of that thread and I gather the following:

[For Intel based systems such as P4 w/HT, Pentium D, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo]

1. In order for any of the registry keys to be valid you MUST install the MS Hotfix. The registry key Throttle is meaningless w/o the Hotfix installed.
2. After installing the Hotfix, the registry key should be added and the DWORD value set to 1 for PerfEnablePackageIdle.
3. The switch /usepmtimer should also be added to boot.ini at the very end of the last line.

Then and only then do you realize the benefit of the Hotfix.

[For AMD based systems such as Athlon64 X2, Turion64 X2, and later Athlon FX dual cores]

If you have an AMD dual core machine, then installing the processor driver and AMD Dual core optimizer takes the place of all the above as installing the processor driver allows CnQ to be enabled assuming it is enabled in the BIOS AND adds the /usepmtimer to the boot.ini during the installation. The AMD Dual core optimizer is essentially the MS Hotfix in disguise.

There is some difference of opinion as to whether or not it is even necessary to add the registry DWORD as by default the MS Hotfix or AMD Dual Core Optimizer modifies the HAL appropriately and the DWORD value is to allow the hotfix/optimizer to be enabled or disabled as desired....ie., you would only add the DWORD value if you wished to be able to DISABLE the hotfix.

Anyone else reading this thread differently than I?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ChiPCGuy

1. In order for any of the registry keys to be valid you MUST install the MS Hotfix. The registry key Throttle is meaningless w/o the Hotfix installed.
2. After installing the Hotfix, the registry key should be added and the DWORD value set to 1 for PerfEnablePackageIdle.
3. The switch /usepmtimer should also be added to boot.ini at the very end of the last line.

[For AMD based systems such as Athlon64 X2, Turion64 X2, and later Athlon FX dual cores]

If you have an AMD dual core machine, then installing the processor driver and AMD Dual core optimizer takes the place of all the above as installing the processor driver allows CnQ to be enabled assuming it is enabled in the BIOS AND adds the /usepmtimer to the boot.ini during the installation. The AMD Dual core optimizer is essentially the MS Hotfix in disguise.

There is some difference of opinion as to whether or not it is even necessary to add the registry DWORD as by default the MS Hotfix or AMD Dual Core Optimizer modifies the HAL appropriately and the DWORD value is to allow the hotfix/optimizer to be enabled or disabled as desired....ie., you would only add the DWORD value if you wished to be able to DISABLE the hotfix.

I never even installed any of this. I don't have problems

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

I never even installed any of this. I don't have problems

Precisely. Which brings up another point...not everyone had or has issues and this MS Hotfix does not necessarily benefit everyone. The thing I am trying to gauge is if doing the above actually detracts from performance on a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo system.

Coming from the AMD side, I can say with relative confidence that installing the AMD Processor Driver and AMD Dual Core Optimizer on X2 based processor systems does head off undesirable results in older games and does not *appear* to cause issues the rest of th e time.

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004

No you read it like I did. I assumed your notebook had the "hotfix" preinstalled my bad... & it should. Correct me if I am wrong someone, but to get the "hotfix" now for intel chips you must call/email microsoft. Its not available for download. I noticed an improvement with gaming...thats it. My E1505 came pre-installed w/ the hotfix just no usepmtimer in the boot.ini. Its your call. If it doesn't work out then you can disable it as you stated. EDIT I guess you can get the download now. It wasn't on that thread 1 month ago.

ChiPCGuy

Sep 4, 2005

No you read it like I did. I assumed your notebook had the "hotfix" preinstalled my bad... & it should. Correct me if I am wrong someone, but to get the "hotfix" now for intel chips you must call/email microsoft. Its not available for download. I noticed an improvement with gaming...thats it. My E1505 came pre-installed w/ the hotfix just no usepmtimer in the boot.ini. Its your call. If it doesn't work out then you can disable it as you stated.

Actually, just Google the Microsoft KB number and watch how many places pop up that you can download it from. The AMD Dual Core Optimizer was released by AMD to bring the Hotfix to the masses. I got the actual MS Hotfix directly from the ASUS website for the Z62F notebook. I have a Z62F based ABS Core Duo T2400 notebook on order from NewEgg that I will reinstall from the ground up as I am really picky about making sure the latest drivers are being used and it is configured the way I like it from the start and I just built a P5B-E Core 2 Duo E6700 based desktop system but have not used the MS Hotfix on it yet. That is why I am trying to figure out if the Hotfix is of value or not, and exactly how it should be implemented on the Intel platform(s).