Intel "Coffee Lake" Builders Thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm going to be frank here. If you're doing DC, you really shouldn't be overclocking. It's just not very responsible to contribute to these projects running things outside their standard parameters. It's fine for our personal stuff, but DC projects fall in to the actual work category, and as stable as it may seem to you, your calculations are still far more error prone than running something stock. Don't do this.

1) In the past I didn't max out my overclocks for F@H projects.
2) DC projects let you know when you have errors, at least F@H does.
3) Don't tell me what to do.

Reactions: Markfw

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Parts came in :) Probably wont have time to do anything other than get Windows installed today, all the testing will have to wait until tomorrow.

sndsf7.jpg

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
When is the cheap non oc boards comming?
Anyone besides the stilt having a 8700 on the way?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nice Chrono! I got my i3-8100 boxed CPU a few days ago, but I've been waiting to post a pic until my board arrives. I think that I got the same board that you did.

Not sure what case I'm going to use, yet. Was thinking about a Node 202 build, but that will have to wait until I get money.

Might sell my i3-8100 and ASRock Z370M ITX/ac off, if anyone really wants that combo. I know that not many people care for the lower-end i3 CPUs. I got it because it was cheap.

Reactions: Drazick and Crono

Slappi

Dec 7, 2002
Nice Chrono! I got my i3-8100 boxed CPU a few days ago, but I've been waiting to post a pic until my board arrives. I think that I got the same board that you did.

Not sure what case I'm going to use, yet. Was thinking about a Node 202 build, but that will have to wait until I get money.

Might sell my i3-8100 and ASRock Z370M ITX/ac off, if anyone really wants that combo. I know that not many people care for the lower-end i3 CPUs. I got it because it was cheap.

Why would you sell it if you just bought it?

Why not just return it?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
1) In the past I didn't max out my overclocks for F@H projects.
2) DC projects let you know when you have errors, at least F@H does.
3) Don't tell me what to do.
Exactly. Where do you draw the line? Stock-clocked rigs aren't exactly completely immune from errors either - RAM or SSDs could develop a defect. Should people only do DC on rigs with ECC RAM and enterprise SAS drives?

Reactions: Ajay and Drazick

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Why would you sell it if you just bought it?

Why not just return it?
Was thinking I could scalp it, when I heard about the delay until late Oct. / early Nov. for more CFL CPUs. Though, that shortage may not apply to lower-end SKUs like the i3-8100.

Reactions: Drazick

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Good Tech Deals video on 8700K vs Ryzen 7 1700. I'm not posting it to start a AMD vs Intel discussion (that's gone on plenty elsewhere) but the benchmarks are useful for anyone trying to decide whether it's worth it to opt for the i7 as far as absolute performance, or decide between the i7-8700K and i7-8700 (non-K).

Last edited:
Reactions: Justinbaileyman

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
29yp66q.jpg

So this is what I have to look at until I can get my hands on a cpu (i7 8700k). Didn't bother with wire management yet since I still have to install the cpu. (which I have pre ordered at both Newegg and BH Photo)

Case Corsair 780T
Mobo Asus Z370 Hero X
Gskill Trident Z 2 8gig sticks 3200
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
Evga GTX 1070
Evga 850 Psu
Creative Labs SoundblasterX AE-5
Pioneer BDR-211UBK UHD blu ray drive
Hopefully I can get a cpu soon( and not wind up with 2 i7 8700k shipped the same day.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
The Maximus X comes with a fan clip for the VRM. Since I have 2 40mm fan decided to use it just for the heck of it. The 960 pro is in the first m.2 slot under the heatsink. The second 960 pro is in the second slot with a m.2 fan holder I ordered(Asus 3d print store)

Ah, very cool (no pun intended). Nice that they include a fan clip. I didn't even notice the m.2 fan because of the color.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Good Tech Deals video on 8700K vs Ryzen 7 1700. I'm not posting it to start a AMD vs Intel discussion (that's gone on plenty elsewhere) but the benchmarks are useful for anyone trying to decide whether it's worth it to opt for the i7 as far as absolute performance, or decide between the i7-8700K and i7-8700 (non-K).

Thanks for posting the video it was very interesting to watch. I guess the bench marks dont lie..

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Got my i7-8700 build up and running. It's still an incomplete build: I need to get a dedicated GPU (possibly 1070 Ti, if there's a mini variant - results below are all with integrated) in the next 2 weeks, still finishing my case, and I plan on swapping out the stock Intel cooler with something like the Noctua NH-L9i by next week. But here's some thoughts on and the results of my i7-8700 build and testing so far:

- The build/setup process was as smooth as it could be. No BIOS or booting issues, no problem loading XMP profile and running at rated speed (3600MHz), no driver issues, and no weird crashes or stability issues thus far.

- The stock cooler is crap, as usual. Idle temps are fine (31C, with ambient room temp of 23.3C), but stress testing with AIDA64 rapidly increases all core temperatures, causing HSF to (noisily) ramp up in RPM and CPU to throttle before it can hit 100C. This is open-air, though, with no airflow across the heatsink like there would be from case fans, and AIDA64 is more a worst-case scenario (albeit not as torturous as Prime95). The other benchmarks don't seem to quite increase temp to the point of throttling. But I expected to replace this stock heatsink and thermal paste, anyway, even for a non-K part.

- Total system power draw (measured using Kill-A-Watt) at idle is low, around 22W. Max power draw was 151W using Handbrake. "Normal" usage (browsing, some light multitasking) is more reasonable power draw of 30-45W. This system is very minimal at the moment, though, with no system fans and just 1 m.2 SSD, so it would be higher fully built, with a dedicated GPU.

- Turbo boost works as expected. CPU fluctuates between 4.4 and 4.6GHz boost, but drops down to 4.3 all-core when running Handbrake and Cinebench.

23m3i2a.jpg

25hh9uu.png

k1uzqs.png

4jb2bl.png

21ag4gj.png

33x7yb8.png

2gsmzhl.png

Last edited:

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Got my i7-8700 build up and running. It's still an incomplete build: I need to get a dedicated GPU (possibly 1070 Ti, if there's a mini variant - results below are all with integrated) in the next 2 weeks, still finishing my case, and I plan on swapping out the stock Intel cooler with something like the Noctua NH-L9i by next week. But here's some thoughts on and the results of my i7-8700 build and testing so far:

- The build process was smooth as could be. No BIOS or booting issues, no problem loading XMP profile and running at rated speed (3600MHz), no driver issues, no weird crashes or stability issues thus far.

- The stock cooler is crap, as usual. Idle temps are fine (31C, with ambient room temp of 23.3C), but stress testing with AIDA64 rapidly increases all core temperatures, causing HSF to (noisily) ramp up in RPM and CPU to throttle before it can hit 100C. This is open air, though, with no air blowing across the HSF, and AIDA64 is more a worst-case scenario (but probably not as torturous as Prime95). The other benchmarks don't seem to quite increase to the point of throttling. But I expected to replace this stock heatsink and thermal paste, anyway, even for a non-K part.

- Total system power draw (measured using Kill-A-Watt) at idle is low, around 22W. Max power draw was 151W using Handbrake. "Normal" usage (browsing, some light multitasking) is more reasonable power draw of 30-45W. This system is very minimal at the moment, though, with no system fans and just 1 m.2 SSD, so it would be higher fully built, with a dedicated GPU.

- Turbo boost works as expected. CPU fluctuates between 4.4 and 4.6GHz boost, but drops down to 4.3 all-core when running Handbrake and Cinebench.

23m3i2a.jpg

25hh9uu.png

k1uzqs.png

4jb2bl.png

21ag4gj.png

33x7yb8.png

2gsmzhl.png
I know there is no overclocking with the 8700 but what is the max core clock multi you can set the 8700 to for all cores? is it actually 46? If so then I would suppose there would be no great or over powering reason to get a 8700k unless you absolutely have to hit 5Ghz or higher. I think I could be extremely happy with 4.6Ghz if this is the case. Also in the video you posted he mentioned there will in fact be one more gen of cpu released on this Z370 socket. :) Was just about to ditch this whole X370 nonsense, but after seeing and hearing that... well it has sparked my interest again hard core!!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I finally finished purchasing everything for my build. I've already got my motherboard (ASRock Z370 Gaming i7 Professional) and RAM (Corsair 2x16GB DDR4 4000). Like most, I'm still waiting on the CPU (i7-8700k). Unlike previous instances, I actually bought hard drives for this build. I used to just steal the ones from the old machine, but I got tired of said old machines never having hard drives when I'd reappropriate them. :p

Case: Thermaltake Core X9 Black
I had a really hard time choosing a case. I've owned a decent amount of cases over the years, and the best one that I've had is the Fractal Design Define R5. However, I've always wished that it was just a little bigger. Honestly, since I have no water cooling aspirations, I think the Core X9 is probably a little too big for me, but I don't think it's Corsair 900D big. I did consider the new Cooler Master Cosmos C700P. I like that it has USB 3.1 Type-C on the front, because my motherboard has an internal Type-C port just for that. However, the case costs twice as much and seems like they cheaped out on a few parts.

HSF: Noctua NH-D15
My current machine has a NZXT Kraken X61, and honestly, I just don't want to deal with them anymore. I've always been a little hesitant to use such a large cooler due to the added stress on the motherboard. It's likely never going to be an actual issue, but I do have motherboards that have visible bowing due to heatsink weight. However, when you combine this with the fact that my case choice allows the motherboard to lay flat, the cooler's weight won't be a problem. Also, the NH-D15 performs slightly worse than the best AIO coolers, but costs around 60%.

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G3
I already own one of these exact same PSUs, and I've been using EVGA for a while now without any issues. If it wasn't this, it likely would've been a Corsair unit. I usually choose the wattage to keep my max usage around 40-60%, so anywhere from 650-850 is fine, and the price difference between those three is fairly inconsequential.

SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2
Part of my goal has been to reduce unnecessary cabling in my computers, and part of the way I do that is trying to use M.2 SSDs instead of normal 2.5" SSDs. Although, I did have reservations against getting the 960 EVO. Let's be real here... while the NVMe drives are faster in benchmarks, the real world benefit in normal system use is largely negligible. I mostly went with it for the quality and reliability.

SSD: Crucial MX300 1TB M.2
I usually build my systems with two SSDs. One of them serves as purely an OS drive (with applications), and the other is for games. This 1TB SSD is for games. I debated whether 1TB was useful, because I currently use a 500GB drive, and it's only about half full. It essentially serves as a manually curated cache where I leave some games on there all the time, but install others randomly. The hard part is whether the extra storage is even useful, or if I'll lean toward mechanical storage for most games.

HDD: HGST DeskStar 4TB 7200RPM
This is the mechanical drive that I've designated for games that I don't want to store on the fast storage. I have a rather large Steam library (nearly 1400 games at this point), and I don't normally uninstall them. I went back and forth on whether I needed to worry about 7200RPM vs 5900RPM, but the cost difference wasn't that worthwhile to worry. I use these drives quite heavily in my file server, so while I know they run a bit hot (around +5C compared to 5900RPM drives), they also work quite well.

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB
I always use a drive for temporary storage and for just random stuff. I've used a 3TB drive for this in the past, but I decided to go up a bit since the cost isn't too major.

I also purchased a USB stick for Windows 10. I bought an OEM disc in the past from a seller on Amazon, but in my experience, you need to be very cautious there. The discs are usually fakes where they're reusing keys, so definitely make sure you buy from Amazon. I'm debating whether I want to buy a new monitor since IPS G-Sync monitors are a bit better now; however, that's a hefty $600-700 to tack on! I have the original ROG Swift monitor, but the TFT panel certainly looks weak compared to the IPS monitor that it sits next to.

Reactions: Crono and Campy

elhefegaming

Aug 23, 2017
I know there is no overclocking with the 8700 but what is the max core clock multi you can set the 8700 to for all cores? is it actually 46? If so then I would suppose there would be no great or over powering reason to get a 8700k unless you absolutely have to hit 5Ghz or higher. I think I could be extremely happy with 4.6Ghz if this is the case. Also in the video you posted he mentioned there will in fact be one more gen of cpu released on this Z370 socket. :) Was just about to ditch this whole X370 nonsense, but after seeing and hearing that... well it has sparked my interest again hard core!!

I'm curious about this but for the 8400. What's the best you can get out of it?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Newegg does not expect new i7 8700K stock for at least 3-5 weeks

10040246217l.png

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...new_i7_8700k_stock_for_at_least_three_weeks/1

Very doubtful Europe will receive any before that :/ I now wish Intel did wait until January and had the time finish the chipset (so Z390 would've been Z370) and built up inventory.

Yowza - guess my plan for a Black Friday build was prescient. Now I have to hope that Silicon Lottery gets a decent allocation of 8700Ks.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yowza - guess my plan for a Black Friday build was prescient. Now I have to hope that Silicon Lottery gets a decent allocation of 8700Ks.
Intel's commitment to sell Coffee Lake with this level of stock shows how rattled they are by AMD's Ryzen series of CPUs, especially given the fact that Coffee Lake will lower Kaby Lake sales drastically.

They just can't get off that line...

Reactions: Drazick

dbrons

May 28, 2001
does anyone know ETA of the 8700k for B&H photo? They are closed till Sunday so
I can't ask :)