Intel cleans up its (Custom) foundry act

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Intel has fallen behind TSMC given that ICF 10nm risk production is H1 2018 while TSMC N7 hit risk production in Q2 2017 and is slated for volume production in Q2 2018.

Wut? Intel is producing 10nm CPUs right now. You seem to not understand what is required to be in place for manufacturing for an external customer. Unless you are expecting that customer to design every single circuit themselves?

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Wut? Intel is producing 10nm CPUs right now.
yeah in your dreams. Intel is just playing around with terms like very low volume in 2017, initial volume in H1 2018 and high volume in H2 2018 .

You seem to not understand what is required to be in place for manufacturing for an external customer. Unless you are expecting that customer to design every single circuit themselves?

If you are a foundry and competing with other foundries you need to have the PDK and the libraries ready for customers to design their chips and need to hit risk production and high volume production milestone for foundry customers. Intel is having troubles ramping 70 sq mm CNL chips for themselves. Which fabless customer is going to believe in ICF ? None.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
yeah in your dreams.

Did you know Intel has demonstrated Cannon Lake?

You forget how big Intel is. A low volume CPU for Intel is like AMD's entire sales. Heck, Intel's cable modem business is bigger than AMD's PC business.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
They showed us wafer.
A
WAFER!
You forget how big Intel is.
In what way their size will help them fix their hilariosly bad 10nm node?
A low volume CPU for Intel is like AMD's entire sales.
Low volume means exactly low volume for literally anyone.
Heck, Intel's cable modem business is bigger than AMD's PC business.
How is that relevant to Intel fabs redactedthemselves on daily basis trying to make 10nm work?

You need to stop using profanity in the tech forums.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
They showed us wafer.
A
WAFER!

Actually Intel presented a working 2 in 1 at CES in January. Intel always ships CPUs a year after their first public demonstration, be it at IDF or CES.

Why the Intel hate anyway? I'm really curious why somebody would register a new account to pump AMD / dis Intel, a total of 139 posts in 2 weeks. What's your skin in the game?

Lodix

Jun 24, 2016
Actually Intel presented a working 2 in 1 at CES in January. Intel always ships CPUs a year after their first public demonstration, be it at IDF or CES.

Why the Intel hate anyway? I'm really curious why somebody would register a new account to pump AMD / dis Intel, a total of 139 posts in 2 weeks. What's your skin in the game?
Having one "functional" chip ( without given specifications? ) doesn't mean they have the capability to do that in mass production or that they have met their targets in Performance/Power/Density.

Just look at the roadmap... risk production starts next year for 10nm... TSMC started risk production in 2Q this year for their 7nm process. I didn't expect such a huge delay from intel. They might have some problems in the top management.

Reactions: Yotsugi and raghu78

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Having one "functional" chip ( without given specifications? ) doesn't mean they have the capability to do that in mass production or that they have met their targets in Performance/Power/Density.

Just look at the roadmap... risk production starts next year for 10nm... TSMC started risk production in 2Q this year for their 7nm process. I didn't expect such a huge delay from intel. They might have some problems in the top management.

Unfortunately the person you are replying to is so blinded by his loyalty towards Intel that he thinks Intel 10nm is in perfectly healthy shape and that it was Intel's plans to bring CNL to market in high volume in H2 2018 all along.

Oh you mean holding out a 10nm wafer or showing a laptop running CNL ES chip. Thats not volume production. Thats trying to falsely reassure investors that everything is working as intended. But we all know what the 10nm is. Delayed, Delayed and delayed ...

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
Actually Intel presented a working 2 in 1 at CES in January.
ONE
WORKING
CHIP?
ONE CHIP THANK YOU BASED INTEL!
Only a year late.
I'm really curious why somebody would register a new account to pump AMD / dis Intel, a total of 139 posts in 2 weeks.
Wow, lurking before posting is a thing unheard for you?
What's your skin in the game?
To laugh at Intel shitting their pants constantly.
Silly stuff.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
They can't even get the latest iPhone modem on their own process and they've owned Infineon for like a decade.

6 years.

And the difference between 6 years and 10 years is a huge deal in tech and fabs for if we assume the unrealistic moore law of double the transistors every 2 years, 6 years is 2^3=8 while 10 years is 2^5=32

Still a big deal, but lower the hyperbole please =P

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
ONE
WORKING
CHIP?
ONE CHIP THANK YOU BASED INTEL!
Only a year late.

Wow, lurking before posting is a thing unheard for you?

To laugh at Intel shitting their pants constantly.
Silly stuff.

Can you save your obnoxious meme posting and trolling for /g/ and stop pretending that parroting info you cribbed off of wccftech or semiwiki makes you an expert on the internals of Intel's fabs. You are unfunny, under informed, and annoying.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Seems that Intel fans are out of the reality. They are pretty much behind the competition and they are NOT realizing it. To make it worse... accepting an ARM design that is better than Atom is just a Death Sentence to that uArch...

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Hm, that article is built around following premise...
The Oregonian recently got hold of some internal Intel documents in which the company details its strategy to roughly double its earnings per share and market value by 2021. In that document, Intel provides the following valuation targets for each of its business units:
  • Data center -- $120 billion
  • Client (PC and mobile) -- $100 billion
  • Internet of Things -- $50 billion
  • Memory -- $25 billion
  • Programmable chips -- $15 billion
Nowhere in this breakdown does Intel provide a valuation for Intel Custom Foundry, the company's contract chip manufacturing business unit.
I don't know where to find Intel's current valuations for each business unit, but considering their revenues those numbers seem optimistic.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
I stand corrected about the Altera FPGAs. It is good that they have gotten something out on 14nm even if they were supposed to have it years ago.

However, I am skeptical for a reason... I have been fooled before by intel. It's like the old saying goes.... "If you fool me once, shame on you. If you fool me twice..... you can't get fooled again"

I can't get fooled again.

Fair to be skeptical, as @Arachnotronic mentioned Intel's next modem is 14nm and should be in the next IPhone and supports CDMA according to that product page which I why I believe Apple dropping QC is now a viable solution - regarding FPGAs - I believe Intel plans to follow up Stratix 10 with Falcon Mesa, New arch, New node(10nm+/++ I think), next gen HBM(3?) and 2nd Gen EMIB. Likely time frame is 2020 though.