Intel CES 2014...what the?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Intel talked about things that aren't aimed squarely at my interests.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe Intel is trying to diversify beyond your areas of interest?

Intel was never about pleasing enthusiasts, it was all about manufacturing millions of processors in bleeding edge nodes at insanely high yields. That these products were embraced by enthusiasts is just a consequence. Now with the computing world changing, enthusiasts will move to the back burner.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Its OK. Haswell-E will carry us gamers another decade or so. Won't need another CPU after that for just about ever. This might seem like the start of a sad death of traditional PC enthusiasm, but death serves a valuable purpose: To make room for something new.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Its OK. Haswell-E will carry us gamers another decade or so. Won't need another CPU after that for just about ever. This might seem like the start of a sad death of traditional PC enthusiasm, but death serves a valuable purpose: To make room for something new.

ah heck that. Bring on the stacked memory, 12 core Xeon plus Titan GPU level performance in a 45W APU that I can have under my TV running Windows and my entire Steam back catalogue.

You're just getting old. ;)

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Maybe Intel is trying to diversify beyond your areas of interest?

Intel was never about pleasing enthusiasts, it was all about manufacturing millions of processors in bleeding edge nodes at insanely high yields. That these products were embraced by enthusiasts is just a consequence. Now with the computing world changing, enthusiasts will move to the back burner.

Sarcasm.....

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008

If I was Ford and I showed off all-weather floor mats, device chargers, and steering wheel covers at the Detroit Auto Show, people would have every right to be upset.

kimmel

Mar 28, 2013
Maybe it's like if Ford showed a bunch of solar powered compact cars and you are in the market for diesel powered fullsize trucks.

The internet is a series of tubes!

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Well that's a false analogy if I ever saw one.

It might sound a little extreme but they really did just how off a bunch of accessories. Maybe it'd be more accurate to say Ford showed off some apps on the in-car entertainment system. Watch the videos.

Maybe it's like if Ford showed a bunch of solar powered compact cars and you are in the market for diesel powered fullsize trucks.

The internet is a series of tubes!

No because they didn't show off any chips to begin with. While I do like the big and powerful CPUs, mobile SoCs interest me as well.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
I know what Intel did. But it's the Consumer Electronics Show. Intel was showing off potential new consumer electronics.

As I've already stated, they're not going to disclose any information on their upcoming CPUs. This wasn't really all that unexpected.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
I know what Intel did. But it's the Consumer Electronics Show. Intel was showing off potential new consumer electronics.

As I've already stated, they're not going to disclose any information on their upcoming CPUs. This wasn't really all that unexpected.

Baytrail was announced at CES 2013...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Intel doesn't really have much competition in the high end desktop, server, and laptop processors right now, so why bother wasting R&D money on rushing out new models?

Instead, Intel is doing what they should be doing... finding new revenue sources and trying to compete against ARM in the tablet and smartphone markets.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
I just could not believe what I was watching and was at a loss of words. Intel, the world's greatest chip maker, spent both of their CES presentations showing off gimmicky gadgets that had absolutely nothing to do with their core business.

So Haswell all over again. Because no one buys high performance CPUs anymore. Gotta cater to the masses.

jdubs03

Oct 1, 2013
Broadwell and Cherry Trail aren't until 4Q though. They could easily wait on both.

I'd pin Broadwell at Q3. I think they'd at least speed up their rollout for back-to-school season. I'd think the Cherry Trail release would just be like Bay Trail just a year later.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Desktop computing certainly has become boring. Still rocking my 3+ year old 2500K and there's no end in sight.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
What's a reasonable upgrade cycle for the average Joe these days if the trend continues, and we're only looking at CPU performance increase? 10 years perhaps? :eek: That would mean 1.08^10=2.16x CPU performance increase, i.e. about twice as fast, which seems reasonable to notice any real difference.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
They dominate the market though, so it isn't like their presentation is going to matter much in the grand scheme of things...

That's how I see it. Intel doesn't need to talk about something that it simply dominates at, because everyone already knows it. I guess they could just brag about how dominant they are with CPU stuff, but then we'd be discussing how rude and arrogant they were for daring to state the obvious.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
FYI, the enthusiast/gamer CPU market is much larger than many here think and is actually growing year after year.

MisterMac

Sep 16, 2011
FYI, the enthusiast/gamer CPU market is much larger than many here think and is actually growing year after year.

Possibly, but not unit wise comparing to tablet\mobile or the server world.

...and unit volume needs to be high to sustain the node pumps on full.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Possibly, but not unit wise comparing to tablet\mobile or the server world.

...and unit volume needs to be high to sustain the node pumps on full.

Right, I'm just addressing the people that say that enthusiasts/gamers only account for 1-2% of Intel's shipments. The percentage is actually much larger than that.