Article Intel CEO Bob Swan to step down in February, VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger to replace him

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Maybe this is a Lisa Su moment, New Leadership to manage a New Ascension. If they are still trying to fix their problems after 3 or 4 years, that seems real bad.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Timing of this is a bit suspicious... they couldn't have waited until earnings?

Outside group was asking Intel to break up. My guess is that was the final straw to make a dramatic change to appease them and other investors.
Intel stock was up double digits after this was announcement so investors seem to like it. But still does not fix anything right away.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Surprised that Intel's Board of Directors finally managed to make a good decision considering the last CEOs and candidates.

Anyway, from Anandtech's article:
Pat Gelsinger. Gelsinger, a veteran of the industry, has spent over 40 years at companies such as VMWare, EMC, and spent 30 years previously at Intel, reaching the potisition of Chief Technology Officer. In that role he drove creation of standards such as USB, Wi-Fi, he was the architect of the 80486, and played key roles in 14 generations of Intel Core and Xeon processors. As CEO of VMWare since 2012, Pat has overseen a tripling of annualized revenue to make VMWare a recognized global leader in global infrastructure and cyber security.

This really could be Intel's Lisa Su moment

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Outside group was asking Intel to break up. My guess is that was the final straw to make a dramatic change to appease them and other investors.
Intel stock was up double digits after this was announcement so investors seem to like it. But still does not fix anything right away.

It had been rumored for awhile that Intel was looking for a new CEO and that Swan was going to go in January or therebouts even if they didn't find a new CEO. That Gelinsinger agreed to take the job probally means there's something going on with VMWare if anything.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Intel stock was up double digits after this was announcement so investors seem to like it.
And AMD stock down 4-5%.
Investors seem to REALLY be keen on Intel's recently-squandered ability to turn things around.
Seeing how AMD turned things around, while Intel is bigger, it also has far more resources to do the same thing.
As a consumer - this is a very welcome sign - especially with their GPU efforts increasing.

Reactions: lightmanek

randomhero

Apr 28, 2020
This is good news! Pat is very good choice IMHO for intel.
Hopefully we will see intel at forefront of tech in 4-5 together with Nvidia, AMD, Apple and few more.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
This is good news! Pat is very good choice IMHO for intel.
Hopefully we will see intel at forefront of tech in 4-5 together with Nvidia, AMD, Apple and few more.
Yeah, I also hope AMD has a long term plan for ARM, on top of executing well on the x86 side of things. With Graviton, Ampere, Nvidia's ARM buy, M1 and now Qualcomm things are really heating up.

With these developmemts there might very well be 4 players in the traditional desktop and laptop market

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Surprising, too. I remember Pat Gelsinger denying the possibility of him becoming Intel's CEO on Twitter a couple of years ago.

Not at all, actually he thought that he could take the job but since Intel prefered Krzanich he did quit the firm, surely that he thought; with some reason, that he was more qualified for this place...

clemsyn

Aug 21, 2005
WOW, I have to take my hats of to the board. That is an excellent choice, Standford grad in electrical engineering :). Hope he can steer the ship in the right direction.

rainy

Jul 17, 2013
That could be an interesting case of alternative history: how would look Intel now if board of directors chose him instead of Krzanich in 2013?
In my opinion better but honestly I don't know how much better.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
That could be an interesting case of alternative history: how would look Intel now if board of directors chose him instead of Krzanich in 2013?
In my opinion better but honestly I don't know how much better.

Pat didn't want to come back, he kept turning down offers till now. I'm not really sold on it either, he's more of a software guy now and vmware hasn't really done much. That said he's a helluvalot better than Swan, whom I read was paid a ridiculous some to come up with essentially stop benchmarking nonsense.

Reactions: moinmoin

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
Good luck, hopefully will make decisions that help Intel regain its manufacturing ability. We'll see.
And may Bob Swan console himself with the gains from their stock rally.