Intel Cannonlake Leaked - It's 3D

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Looks like that could be a hard left hook that connects solidly with AMD's jaw....

If it's accurate... ;)

Reactions: Burpo

Absolute0

Nov 9, 2005
Just cuz it's patented doesn't mean it will be utilized. It's called a protective moat* of IP. We can only wait and hope; does look cool.

Last edited:

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Wow that is way cool!! how the heck would you cool the uncore die part though? Reminds me of the 3d layered cpu of the Raspberry Pi 3 but on a larger x86 scale.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
My buddy who's into hardware told me about this the other day, but I didn't know how to explain it.. Nice catch & good info :)

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Does this necessarily mean that their are single core gains? Or just that it is easier to pack in more cores?

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
Off-hand, I'm not seeing anything here that AMD couldn't also do with interposers and "Infinity Fabric". AMD has experience from the GPU side to draw on here, which should help.

And the fact remains that AMD can create GPUs that are at least reasonably competitive, while Intel cannot - and, in fact, if rumors are accurate, had to strike a deal to buy GPUs from AMD.

Mar 10, 2006
Off-hand, I'm not seeing anything here that AMD couldn't also do with interposers and "Infinity Fabric". AMD has experience from the GPU side to draw on here, which should help.

And the fact remains that AMD can create GPUs that are at least reasonably competitive, while Intel cannot - and, in fact, if rumors are accurate, had to strike a deal to buy GPUs from AMD.

The problem with interposers is that you are limited to the size of the interposer for all of your silicon needs :p

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
Fig. 17 shows a FIVR, I thought Intel was not going bring that back until Icelake. Also SST ram, is that ready for prime time?

Mar 10, 2006
Fig. 17 shows a FIVR, I thought Intel was not going bring that back until Icelake. Also SST ram, is that ready for prime time?

Icelake won't use a FIVR per se, it's something called an McIVR, or multi-chip integrated voltage regulator. I don't know how it works, but that's what Ice is using.

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Intel just said their upcoming processors are going to be about 15% faster, considering this is coming from Intel themselves that probably means only 10% faster and the speed coming from higher clocks.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Intel just said their upcoming processors are going to be about 15% faster, considering this is coming from Intel themselves that probably means only 10% faster and the speed coming from higher clocks.
It seems likely that the 15% refers to the Coffee Lake mobile chips, though.

SL-X and KL-X should have a little better bumps than we saw going from Broadwell/Haswell to Skylake/Kabylake, I think.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Under Sysmark, most if not all of the gains come from better thermals & higher clocks, I doubt we'll see better IPC till 10nm.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I think we shouldn't place too much emphasis on patents. Most aren't used in actual products anyway. The diagrams also seem to point out the possible configuration, not what will happen.

Under Sysmark, most if not all of the gains come from better thermals & higher clocks, I doubt we'll see better IPC till 10nm.

10% is what we get from a "Tock" anyway.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Cool, when do pre-orders start?! ;)

I can see some things moving to 3D to make things more dense, so, in theory, you can have a ton more cache in the same planar footprint, other things, not so much, wouldn't really help.
Too bad it is too easy to get patents these days, there are some really cools stuff that was never made, so wait for final silicon.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
AMD have been talking active interposes for ages, how does one expect things like Navi or the datacentre APU's to scale long term? I expect NV will do something similar as well in highend GPU.

Everyone knows performance scaling on large dies is becoming more and more challenging everyone is looking at similar concepts. What we will all have to wait and see is what execution looks like.

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
Doesn't look insurmountable to AMD at all. Their IP is already designed to be built like legos starting with Zen and Vega.
We don't know if standard interposers is what they're using, we haven't heard anything about what kind of packaging technology they're working on.

For all we know, Navi's "scalability" could in fact be something similar to what is in the patent here.

Mar 2, 2017
Just cuz it's patented doesn't mean it will be utilized. It's called a protective moat* of IP. We can only wait and hope; does look cool.

I agree with a comment: if Intel did not think that Cannonlake would come to market, they would not have announced it. They put up the protective moat patent in 2014. Only after they realized that it was commercially viable did they announce it.

Historically, the patents follow the products. If stacked chips weren't coming from Intel, then they'd have announced some other product instead of Cannonlake. This is how the culture works at Intel. They don't let one code name take the form of anything. Code names are very specific at Intel.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Except that patent was from 2 years ago for technologies that will come eventually. It's possible it's still the Cannonlake project but scaled back to be a standard 2D chip and the stacking products will come later. Coffee Lake's 4+2 die size is pretty decently rumored to be not much different than Kabylake 4+2 so you can assume it's not changed as radically as that patent suggests.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
What's the homerun that Intel is claiming? Nothing at all close to the 15% performance increase in Sysmark that they claimed that I can see?? Don't care about outright marketing terms.