Intel cancels its Timna chip

Mears

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
Doesn't surprise me. What were the features of that chip? Wasn't the Duron still going to be faster anyways?

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's basically a computer on a chip.

A single chip containg CPU, Chipset, Integrated graphics & sound, and I think ethernet as well.

blargyblarg

Aug 29, 2000
it was going to be a new celeron, probably with 100 Mhz bus, with integrated CPU, memory controller, and graphics on one chip. There was also going to be a mobile version of it coming out.

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
Timna was suck anyway, and would have muddled Intel's product line. Its better that Intel kept to the Pentium/Celeron high/low strategy.

Zalen

Oct 22, 1999
I love this part

<< the cost savings that Timna promised have already been
achieved. In essence, it's a product that became obsolete before it arrived.
>>

HAHAHAHA

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
=)

intel shot itself in the ass.

ass = where it hurts = wallet = SUCKERS!!!

4824guy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The current Intel lineups are enough already, no need to put out more product lines, especially with the fierce competition from AMD in the price/value/speed war.

If the Timna chipset was to succeed, it would be a low profit product line for Intel, if any profit at all considering the cost of development and production.

Intel can't take a chance to produce a product that may have little profit and limit or reduce the sales of its Pentuim/Celeron line.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Timna wasn't suck, guys. And this is coming from a Pro-AMD guy. ;) The Timna boasted many very interesting innovations. Since everything was integrated, the datapaths were going to be extremely large, and extremely fast. I'm almost sad they gave it the bullet. It was setting the stage for Intel to become low end, and AMD to take over the high end. ;)

Cosmic_Horror

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
It is a shame it was canned!

An all intergrated computer on a chip would really be great for emachines! I know quite a number of people that want to get online, however even current cheap e-machines are a trifle expensive. :(

Plus the more options out there means more competion, thus better for every consumer! :)

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I'm really disappointed in Intel. The TIMNA was a brilliant idea in line with the Cyrix Media-GX chip. $100 PC's were within grasp. Now that they decided against it they'll move to more expensive endeavors.

Bottom line is that a 486 can do the internet. The 486 could clock at 800mHz on the .18 process, and possibly hit 1gHz on the .13 process. The chipset on the 486's was simple enough cpu, USB and PCI controllers, and memory chipset could have been pushed into a die about the size of a dime.

Intel's marketing department has pushed for all this fpu and SiMD crap to spur their sales. They've yet to enjoy their technology long enough to develop it all the way through. Rather, they push new unproven techniques at every turn. SSE and MMX doesn't enhance the internet experience. Nobody needs the fpu unit to browse HTML. Like I said before, the 486 was plenty for the internet...

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a feeling the real reason for the cancellation was the lingering MRH problem(s).

Perhaps they are going to really push their StrongARM instead ...

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I read another article (MSNBC.com, I think) where it stated that the problem was the MRH fault.

Has Intel lost engineers or something?

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
No, the MRH concept just plain sucks ... :(

Oh well, even with PC133 Intel literally breaks their &quot;1Gb agreement&quot; with Rambust.

ColdTech

Sep 22, 2000
Now If Intel would Cancel everything else The World would be a better place...

Go AMD

Dan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I disagree with you in one regard, ColdTech. We need Intel, just like we need AMD for the competition factor. Let's face it, that's the primary reason CPU prices keep dropping. And even though I'm one of AMD's biggest fans, I'm sure their pricing structure would be very different if they were the only game in town.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I'm surprised Intel didn't just shrink the old 440BX chipsets for the Timna. With the BX's synchronous timing and Timna's penchance for being aimed at the SDRAM market, the shrunken BX chipset was the way to go. Its almost as if Intel doesn't want maximum performance out of their newest lowend processors.