Intel Broadwell Thread

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Has Intel even presented the 5676C and 5775C models yet? And now they are already in the shops (at least soon according to Shintai's link).

Talk about Intel being late with presenting info to the public these days... :eek:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Has Intel even presented the 5676C and 5775C models yet? And now they are already in the shops (at least soon according to Shintai's link).

Talk about Intel being late with presenting info to the public these days... :eek:

CPUs never been sold before release by some random retailer...oh wait they have every single time. :rolleyes:

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
CPUs never been sold before release by some random retailer...oh wait they have every single time. :rolleyes:

That was not what I said. I said that Intel has not even publicly announced them. And no, it's not common for CPUs to be sold in shops before having been publicly announced by the manufacturer.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
That was not what I said. I said that Intel has not even publicly announced them. And no, it's not common for CPUs to be sold in shops before having been publicly announced by the manufacturer.

Really?

Intel-Broadwell-Iris-Pro.jpg

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
In what official information from Intel can we find the SKU model numbers, release dates and prices?

Cannot be found on the Intel ARK website either:
http://ark.intel.com/search?q=5775c

Really, what you posted is just an early "sneak peak" without much details. If that's all you need to consider a CPU to be launched for release, then AMD has also launched the Zen CPUs for release.

Last edited:

bullzz

Jul 12, 2013
@Fjodor2001 - this happened for haswell-e also. nothing new here. if anything this is a good problem to have. rather than chips not showing up in products months after release

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
@Fjodor2001 - this happened for haswell-e also. nothing new here. if anything this is a good problem to have. rather than chips not showing up in products months after release

I'm not putting any judgment into it. I'm just concluding that Intel sure does not communicate much to the public in advance about products that are released. Things have changed quite drastically the last few years, because it wasn't like this before.

Mar 10, 2006
I'm not putting any judgment into it. I'm just concluding that Intel sure does not communicate much to the public in advance about products that are released. Things have changed quite drastically the last few years, because it wasn't like this before.

Intel has been touting Skylake since IDF 2014. That's about a year before the first products are expected to hit the shelves.

I'd just say there are just fewer chip samples "leaking" to well-known overclockers...

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Intel has been touting Skylake since IDF 2014. That's about a year before the first products are expected to hit the shelves.

I'd just say there are just fewer chip samples "leaking" to well-known overclockers...

Yes, but I'm talking about details; uArch design info, SKU model numbers and features, pricing, release dates and so on. They used to present that further in advance before, and not just right before the products are available in the shops.

Mar 10, 2006
Yes, but I'm talking about details; uArch design info, SKU model numbers and features, pricing, release dates and so on. They used to present that further in advance before, and not just right before the products are available in the shops.

Fair enough; Intel detailed Haswell uArch at IDF 2012 but didn't launch until mid-2013.

I would bet Intel is keeping quiet in order to not give its competition any "hints."

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
I would bet Intel is keeping quiet in order to not give its competition any "hints."
I wonder what competition they have :biggrin: Anyway even if you know that some feature has been used, it takes 4-5 years to go from design to market so the impact would be rather small.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
So in order to have an unlocked processor, you have to pay an even bigger intel gpu tax? Haha suckers that's what you get. I wonder how many will be boasting and bragging about how they paid even more money for a gpu that will not get used. I predict all sorts of rationalizations for it, such as "The eDRAM is actually kind of useful" bla bla bla.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
So in order to have an unlocked processor, you have to pay an even bigger intel gpu tax? Haha suckers that's what you get. I wonder how many will be boasting and bragging about how they paid even more money for a gpu that will not get used. I predict all sorts of rationalizations for it, such as "The eDRAM is actually kind of useful" bla bla bla.

You must have missed that the C models are a new product segment, not a product replacement.

skylake.jpg

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

The CEO changed, it is not surprising that along with a change in executive management there would come a change in marketing approach.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

The schadenfreude is strong in you, why? Why care to wrap yourself up in throwing punches at fictitious doofuses which are literally fabrications of your own mind? That is a lot of effort to set a stage which simply isn't worth anyone's time vilifying IMHO. This situation calls for a "whocares" moment of reflection. Seriously, of all the people choosing to spend their money however they care to spend it, who cares that they choose to do so? And why should they be cast as some group of idiots to be made fun of and picked on? Is that really the best we have to do with our time on these forums?

Mar 10, 2006

Uh, no. Skylake-S unlocked is 4+2 config, and if you want an unlocked processor w/o GPU and even more cores, cache, and memory bandwidth, the HEDT platform is available.

And, for $389 or so (not that much more than a 4790K), you can get 50% more cores than you can get with a 4790K, more PCIe lanes, more bandwidth, and I'd bet you that most 5820Ks with proper cooling can make it to ~4GHz.

The BDW-C is basically a Broadwell-H stuck onto an LGA package. If the demand for this product is meaningful, you will see future "-C" chips. If demand is tepid, expect these kinds of chips (unlocked CPU w/ big GPU + eDRAM) to be killed off come Skylake or Cannonlake.

Aug 11, 2008
Yea, i dont see much demand for this on the desktop. What is the use case? If you want good igp performance, just get an apu. If you want good cpu performance just get haswell or skylake an add a dgpu if the igp is not good enough. The only place for this is if you want intel quality cpu performance and better igp performance. Now what i would like to see is to make this igp standard on the quad mobile chips. That might make low/medium gaming feasible on laptops without a discrete card.

BTW, is Intel ever going to stacked memory instead of edram? Some form of it would seem like a much better long term solution.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
The use case for this? Places where the iGPU is both good enough and attractive. So maybe legitimate small gaming machines if it works, and very likely Apple as they really like iGPU's for the iMacs/mini's etc.

There's enough power budget here that were they using something as efficient as say Maxwell it'd be hitting 750ti ish levels on their 14nm process.