Question Intel Atom Z3745D

henryevans

Apr 22, 2022
I have a 2nd hand tablet for my children running an Intel Atom Z3745D. When playing games like Minecraft, it gets overheated and goes to sleep.

The power configuration has all kinds of options to limit the CPU, so I already limited the CPU to 75%, but that doesn't solve the problem, because it's the integrated GPU that's overheating the CPU:

CoreTemp shows 0.5 W CPU ower usage with all cores running at 75% (0,99 GHz) and an Estimated Uncore of 0.3 W, but during graphic intensve tasks (running OpenGL FurMark test), Uncore goes to 3.9 W, blowing away the CPU's power usage, so no amount of CPU throttling is going to fix this.

Is there any configuration I can do to limit the integrated GPU instead of the CPU?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Easy solution: Download throttlestop. You might find more options there including the ones for the iGPU.

Difficult solution: Open the Tablet up and put a fresh thermal paste in. That should help since most dry out after a while. This might also be a longer term solution.

What are the temperatures anyway?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Real answer:

Those $50 Windows 8.1 (*and some Win10, later on) Atom-based tablets were primarily only for web browsing (*intermittent usage), and maybe some light video-watching.

They usually have just a passive metal plate to cool the Atom SoC, if even that, and were not intended for full-bore continuous usage, as during a "real" video game. At least, IMHO and IME.

I suggest, getting some different hardware, if possible. Maybe something newer and Android, although the android tablet market has sort of dried up / moved up-scale, since most people just get "phablet phone" instead.

But the Android tablet would have a much newer, much faster, and much cooler-running SoC. Some are even designed to run video games (get one of those).

Reactions: ftt

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Easy solution: Download throttlestop. You might find more options there including the ones for the iGPU.

Difficult solution: Open the Tablet up and put a fresh thermal paste in. That should help since most dry out after a while. This might also be a longer term solution.

What are the temperatures anyway?

I would advise against that, i have one of those cheap BT tablets, the "heat sink" is a aluminium paper sheet. Is not a metal plate or anything, its something like paper.

That said, my Z3735D gave priority to the IGP turbo, so while gaming the CPU used to work at the base freq of 1.33Ghz for all core while the igp ran at the 600mhz turbo. But the thing is, even with IGP turbo enabled that thing was still slightly below AMD 780G performance.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I would advise against that, i have one of those cheap BT tablets, the "heat sink" is a aluminium paper sheet. Is not a metal plate or anything, its something like paper.

So you are saying there's a chance. :D

I'd have done it, but I have experience opening up laptops, and even my Venue 8 Pro tablet.

That said, my Z3735D gave priority to the IGP turbo, so while gaming the CPU used to work at the base freq of 1.33Ghz for all core while the igp ran at the 600mhz turbo. But the thing is, even with IGP turbo enabled that thing was still slightly below AMD 780G performance.

I had one too, before the screen got damaged. I played Simcity 4 on that thing. The battery lasted 5-7 hours despite the capacity only being 18WHr.

Yes the iGPU performance was really low. Makes sense since it only had 4 Gen 7 EUs. It was said originally they wanted to put half that but changed their plans.

Last edited: