Question Intel Alder lake - FREEZING problems?

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I got lured from AMD to Intel with a high single thread performance (and the coindidence of my AMD motherboard breaking and also four m.2 slots on the Gigabyte Z690 board being very useful), but my computer with 12600K, Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 and Windows 11 keeps freezing, it happened for the third time now in a few months.

I tried looking in an event logger but the only thing visible is me shutting down the computer, nothing before that.

Does anybody know what is the cause for this? Is it there some setting I need to change or is it some hardware issue?

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
System doesn't seem to be freezing but probably the GPU. Check the drivers and run DDU to purge everything and reinstall.

I run 12700k with Linux 24/7 without any issues and my laptop 12700h with some minor quirks I'm still chasing but, neither freezes.

Windows is a pita no matter the system though. Check for any BIOS updates as well.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I do not have an extra GPU at all, I run the graphic card in the processor.

BTW if I remember correctly it froze every time while browsing the web, no high stress on anything.

Last edited:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Could be anything - RAM, GPU drivers, power supply, motherboard. Really hard to pinpoint without the freezing being somewhat reproducible.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I have no idea how to troubleshoot something that happens so infrequently. I also have no spare parts available.

I am not sure if all the drivers are up to date, but I updated the bios after the second freeze, if I remember correctly.

The only info I have now is that it happens with little/no load on anything.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
What speed is your DDR4? Alder Lake is not guaranteed to be stable on anything above 3200 for DDR4 as running above 3200 for DD4 is considered "overclocking" for Alder Lake.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
It runs at 3600 MHz. It does not seem as any extremelly high speed to me. Could this be the reason?

In the meantime I found just a few reports about Alder lake freezing on the internet, but no definitive conclusions.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, seems Alder Lake has some "gremlins" still. Or, at least a greater number of new platform problems than most Intel users are used to. (Remember, a while back, Intel let go their validation engineering staff.)

Reactions: Tlh97 and Hotrod2go

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
It runs at 3600 MHz. It does not seem as any extremelly high speed to me. Could this be the reason?

In the meantime I found just a few reports about Alder lake freezing on the internet, but no definitive conclusions.

It might be the reason. Your CPU's memory controller might not be able to run DDR4-3600 reliably and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case as that's way out of spec for that CPU. Did you try lowering the speed manually in the BIOS to 3200 or even just running the RAM without setting it to the XMP profile and just using Auto setting for the RAM?

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

Is there anything in your Event Viewer log?

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Wow, it just happened again, the only error I see before the critical error (shutting the computer down) is some Application popup error:

alder Freeze.png

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
May as well start going through the basics of troubleshooting. Start with memtest86, then maybe CPU stress test etc.

Reactions: maddie

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
No, I just confirmed that I have still an old F7 BIOS and left RAM at 3600MHz.

I already checked new bioses and I am not sure if I should update to the newest with support for next gen processors, or the one before that, because I do not think I will be buying such processor soon.

Jul 27, 2020
Gigabyte mobos do that. I know. I'm on my third (and thankfully, most stable one so far). Run the Windows built-in memory test. If the quick test passes successfully, do the full test. If both pass, it's not the RAM. My Z77 mobo used to bluescreen randomly while browsing. Found out by accident that it was a third party free anti-virus causing it so removed it. The bluescreens became infrequent and but they did happen still and mostly when the system was idling. I never ran a full RAM test on that system but I think my Corsair RAM was to blame coz that same RAM gave me no end of headaches on my Z97 mobo and Windows RAM diagnostics test would also fail. Finally changing the RAM to Kingston brought stability back to my kingdom.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I use this set of RAM: Kingston KF436C18BBK2/32.

Gigabyte mentions improving compatibility with RAM with Samsung D dies in their recent BIOS update, i tried to look in the spec sheet of this RAM set what dies it uses but it is not writtten there.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I use this set of RAM: Kingston KF436C18BBK2/32.

Gigabyte mentions improving compatibility with RAM with Samsung D dies in their recent BIOS update, i tried to look in the spec sheet of this RAM set what dies it uses but it is not writtten there.

Nobody cares what RAM you are using. If the memory controller can't handle it, it won't work. Troubleshooting 101, run everything at stock.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I updated the bios and lowered RAM frequency to 3400 MHz. I also ran the Windows memory test before the changes and it went well (standard setting). And now I just wait, days or weeks, if it worked. Months? I hate this.

Anyway, thanks everybody for the input, so far. Hope I will not be back again.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Few more things you could try if it freezes again:

Disable hyperthreading.

Disable e-cores.

Disable low power sleep states.

Check other ACPI/power related settings in BIOS and disable any that you don't need or care about.

Use some cheap discrete graphics card and disable the onboard graphics in BIOS (if possible) or disable in Device Manager.

Check the services list and disable any services you don't need.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I updated the bios and lowered RAM frequency to 3400 MHz. I also ran the Windows memory test before the changes and it went well (standard setting). And now I just wait, days or weeks, if it worked. Months? I hate this.

Anyway, thanks everybody for the input, so far. Hope I will not be back again.
Windows memory test, afaik, is not very thourough, which is why you want to use something like Memtest86.

Reactions: Thunder 57