Intel 750 nvme AIC ssd on Aus Z97-K motherboard

ravish165

May 5, 2015
Wanted to use Intel 750 series nvme AIC ssd on Asus Z97-K motherboard. We don't want to use drive for heavy write purposes. Just wanted to read few of the attributes from the device.

Our current planned configuration is :
motherboard - Asus Z97-K
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM - 4GB DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160GB hard disk used as primary storage
Power Supply - same as used in desktop systems (wanted to use Dell motherboard system power supply with Asus Z97-K motherboard-is it possible?)
Intel 750 series ssd as secondary storage on PCIe Gen 3.0 slot

Kindly confirm if above configuration is suitable to use intel 750 series ssd.

Also could same configuration be used for Intel P3500 NVMe ssd AIC

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
How do you plan to use a Core 2 Duo on a LGA 1150 Motherboard? I suppose you're aware it will never fit, and that they're technically obsolete.
Using a 160 GB HD that should be no less that 6 years old doesn't fits neither. For as long as you can boot from the Intel 750 (Which you should on that Motherboard), it can be all alone by itself.
OEM Power Supplies are possibly the less reusable component. If I recall correctly, Dell used 12V only Power Supplies that are totally non-ATX compliant. Forget it.

What was the intended used of this machine that a PCIe SSD makes you happy even if you were to use a 8 years old Processor and just 4 GB RAM? Its a totally unbalanced build, even if it was possible to do it.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
How do you plan to use a Core 2 Duo on a LGA 1150 Motherboard? I suppose you're aware it will never fit, and that they're technically obsolete.
Using a 160 GB HD that should be no less that 6 years old doesn't fits neither. For as long as you can boot from the Intel 750 (Which you should on that Motherboard), it can be all alone by itself.
OEM Power Supplies are possibly the less reusable component. If I recall correctly, Dell used 12V only Power Supplies that are totally non-ATX compliant. Forget it.

What was the intended used of this machine that a PCIe SSD makes you happy even if you were to use a 8 years old Processor and just 4 GB RAM? Its a totally unbalanced build, even if it was possible to do it.

+1

There is alot of questions to be answered here!

ddarko

Jun 18, 2006
Asus has a guide that addresses the compatibility of the Intel 750 NVMe with their Z97 and X99 motherboards:

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus...el-750-series-nvme-ssds-all-you-need-to-know/

Might want to check it out, it may address some of your concerns. The Asus Z97-K itself is compatible with NVMe drives like the Intel 750 or 3500. You'll need the mobo BIOS updated to version 2603 or later to enable NVMe compatibility. However, what's your intended graphics card? You didn't list it and Asus says the video card must support UEFI GOP. If your video card is as old as your CPU, you may need to update that card's VBIOS - assuming one is available which it may not be - or get another video card. At minimum, you need another CPU, and possibly, a video card.

It's possible this may also be a problem but depends on the PSU in question. It seems like really old Dell systems from the late 90s used proprietary PSUs, then they switched to standard parts in the late 2000's and more recently, went back to non-standard PSUs on some lines. The OP will have to check.

Last edited: