News Intel 4Q21 Earnings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
  • Intel press release (NASDAQ:INTC): Q4 Non-GAAP EPS of $1.09 beats by $0.18.
  • Revenue of $19.5B (+4% Y/Y) beats by $1.14B.
  • Client Computing revenue of $10.1B.
  • Data Center Group revenue of $7.3B.
  • GM at 53.6% GAAP, down 3.2ppt y/y.
  • Q1 Guidance: Non-GAAP Revenue of $18.3B vs. $17.63B consensus, EPS of $0.80 vs. $0.77 consensus.

More to come when I have time to dig through the results.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
AMD is going to sell everything Epyc they have, so it's just a function of how much they can supply. The "good" thing for Intel is that it appears AMD is so short Intel doesn't need to cut prices. AMD is instead jacking up their prices.
It might look good to some people but increasing prices without any real reason is the best way for big customers to think twice about buying from you again.
Intel has been swallowing the extra cost getting a lower margin instead of increasing prices for the customer because that makes it super easy for any company to re use their previous budget plan without having to think about it at all.
At least for the mainstream CPUs, I have no idea about pricing in the server class.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Companies don't adjust prices out of the goodness of their heart. They have to if they can't sell at previous prices or because the demand is so high that it allows them to get away with it anyway.

Intel made HEDT incredibly expensive when AMD had no competition. Now that AMD has great CPUs they've stopped being the ultra-budget option because they can charge more.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scineram

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
It might look good to some people but increasing prices without any real reason is the best way for big customers to think twice about buying from you again.
Intel has been swallowing the extra cost getting a lower margin instead of increasing prices for the customer because that makes it super easy for any company to re use their previous budget plan without having to think about it at all.
At least for the mainstream CPUs, I have no idea about pricing in the server class.
They are not charging more for consumer, I just got a 5950x for $649. Server class is what jpiniero was talking about that you commented on, THATS where prices have risen. They have no competition, and supply is short, and they might be paying more for their supplies to make them.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Mopetar

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
They are not charging more for consumer, I just got a 5950x for $649. Server class is what jpiniero was talking about that you commented on, THATS where prices have risen. They have no competition, and supply is short, and they might be paying more for their supplies to make them.
Bargain or sale prices don't count, ryzen 3800x went from $399 to 5800x at $449. The whole gen went up in price and was reduced to only four skus for desktop.
Changing prices and skews is really bad for selling to big companies.

Also yeah that's what I said, I don't know if intel increased prices on server units.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Bargain or sale prices don't count, ryzen 3800x went from $399 to 5800x at $449. The whole gen went up in price and was reduced to only four skus for desktop.
Changing prices and skews is really bad for selling to big companies.

Also yeah that's what I said, I don't know if intel increased prices on server units.
Its been $649 for months here, 2515 sold. Now its down to $619 !!! I wouldn't call that sale prices.

Edit: And from what I have read here, Intel is discounting their prices on servers to large clients to keep them, since they currently have inferior products in that area.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Let's be realistic: prices for anything current-gen are up relative to past products occupying similar market positions. It is interesting to see that Intel's 10nm family of nodes bring with them high cost-to-manufacture. That implies continued yield problems, which might explain Sapphire Rapids' extended absence.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scineram

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Its been $649 for months here, 2515 sold. Now its down to $619 !!! I wouldn't call that sale prices.

Edit: And from what I have read here, Intel is discounting their prices on servers to large clients to keep them, since they currently have inferior products in that area.
Anything that is not AMD price is sale price, it doesn't make a difference how desperate resellers are in getting their inventory sold reducing prices as they go, AMD sets the retail price and they still sell it for $799.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Anything that is not AMD price is sale price, it doesn't make a difference how desperate resellers are in getting their inventory sold reducing prices as they go, AMD sets the retail price and they still sell it for $799.
Thats MSRP.

Newegg, Amazon, and others have it at $685, B&H for $690. The highest I saw was $730. NOBODY is selling for MSRP or even close.. Why are YOU so DESPERATE to use this to defend your position ?

Geeeessssh

Edit: and on the flip side, Intel lists the 12900k suggested price at $590-$600. They have never sold for that. They are ABOVE that price, and have been since introduction, currently at $616 (newegg)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
I remember not too long ago, Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy, and other major retailers were the gold standard for price lists. It's now firmly eBay, I guess, or wherever one can find bulk discounted prices. Let's all take note for the future. :)

Reactions: lightmanek

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Thats MSRP.

Newegg, Amazon, and others have it at $685, B&H for $690. The highest I saw was $730. NOBODY is selling for MSRP or even close.. Why are YOU so DESPERATE to use this to defend your position ?

Geeeessssh

Edit: and on the flip side, Intel lists the 12900k suggested price at $590-$600. They have never sold for that. They are ABOVE that price, and have been since introduction, currently at $616 (newegg)
It's MSRP but it also is the price that AMD charges to people, that page I linked is AMDs retail shop, you want to buy that CPU you are going to pay that price.

My position was this:
"Intel has been swallowing the extra cost getting a lower margin instead of increasing prices for the customer because that makes it super easy for any company to re use their previous budget plan without having to think about it at all. "

For companies the msrp is what counts, they don't wait around for years to get good prices on ebay for older tech, they buy new stuff.