Review Intel 10th Generation Comet Lake-S Review Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Review information on the soon-to-be-released 10th generation desktop lineup, as well as all relevant information will be linked in this thread. OP will be updated as information becomes available in the next few days. Please, post links to reputable sites you want to see in the OP, and I'll add them. Thanks!

Anandtech
Phoronix (Linux Benchmarks)
LTT (YouTube Video)
Gamers Nexus
Euro Gamer
ComputerBase.de
Back2Gaming
HWUB (YouTube Video)
Sweclockers
Nordic Hardware

Reviews Roundup on VideoCardz

Last edited:

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Intel has about a 3-month window for this product. Beyond that point, there is no reason to buy one. At. All. Even Rocket Lake-S threatens to kill off Comet in 7-9 months.
You're looking at this from a upgrader perspective - essentially someone who can and may be willing to wait a few months. That's maybe few % of the CPU demand.

Just a sanity check: the argument "no reason to buy Intel" is recurring since 2017. Intel's consumer segment revenue grew by 10% in that period.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You're looking at this from a upgrader perspective

No, I'm looking at it from a buy-window perspective. All products have a buy window. It doesn't matter who is buying the product for how long or why. Once a product is rendered obsolete, the buy window is closed, and it goes into discount status. Comet Lake-S is already arguably in discount status since most of the lineup is just discounted Coffee Lake-S, but that doesn't apply to the 10900k and a few other SKUs.

It has maybe 3 months before being rendered obsolete.

There are only so many "I HAVE TO BUY NOW" customers out there that will want those particular SKUs and that will need to get them in that very narrow 3-month period. Contrast this with the 9900k which has had the distinction of being "fastest gaming CPU" since (effectively) Nov/Dec 2018 - the first date that you could reaslistically expect to buy one, albeit not at MSRP. Well okay, the 9900k was rendered obsolete by the ephemeral 9900ks in Dec. 2019, but that's a bin of the same CPU so it hardly merits distinction. The 9900k/9900ks had a buy window of ~7 months as fastest desktop CPU period until July 2019, and a more-limited buy window of ~17 months as fastest gaming CPU. That gave Intel plenty of time to sell the product relatively unopposed.

The 10900k gets three months.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Even Rocket Lake-S threatens to kill off Comet in 7-9 months.
I kinda doubt we're talking about 7-9 months, at least as far as 10900K is concerned.

From my perspective, we are very likely to see a Coffee Lake style launch from RKL S, with flagship model launching close to Zen 3 launch, followed by the rest of the lineup in Q1 2020. This also falls in line with the initial (known) plans for Comet Lake which put the current launch a few months earlier at least.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I noticed in the Anandtech review that you can now "overclock" the DMI link and PCI-e on the chipset. This struck me as a strange feature. Can comet lake run its DMI link at 105% 150%? Does it matter? Anandtech describes it as similar to back in the old FSB overclocking days but it actually reminded me more of the slot 1 days where you ended up accidentally overclocking your PCI bus when pushing the FSB causing hard drive corruption.

It feels like the remaining vestiges of PCI-e 4.0.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I kinda doubt we're talking about 7-9 months, at least as far as 10900K is concerned.

From my perspective, we are very likely to see a Coffee Lake style launch from RKL S, with flagship model launching close to Zen 3 launch, followed by the rest of the lineup in Q1 2020. This also falls in line with the initial (known) plans for Comet Lake which put the current launch a few months earlier at least.

Pretty unlikely, especially given the virus. Maybe if you are lucky they will release Rocket Lake-S at CES.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Rocket Lake-S is currently Q1 2021. January is 7 months after Comet, March is 9.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
For gaming the Core i7 10700K is the same as Core i9 10900K but at lower price and lower power consumption , making the Core i9 10900K irrelevant for gaming.

Really the only reason to buy the Core i9 10900K is a productivity application that doesnt use the higher parallel performance of the 12C 24T Ryzen 3900X (Adobe Photoshop perhaps ??)

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
For gaming the Core i7 10700K is the same as Core i9 10900K but at lower price and lower power consumption , making the Core i9 10900K irrelevant for gaming.
Unless we use the same argument that AMD crowd have been using for a while: more cores let you run more things in the background, stream or whatever.
So if we say that games can use 8 cores now (I don't know, honestly), you get 2 extra cores for whatever else there's going on.
Really the only reason to buy the Core i9 10900K is a productivity application that doesnt use the higher parallel performance of the 12C 24T Ryzen 3900X (Adobe Photoshop perhaps ??)
Some will choose Intel for the IGP. Some for other specific advantages (some things just work better on Intel).

In parallel loads 3900X is better.
In sequential (single-thread) tasks 10900K wins.

In a real-world, mixed use - it really depends what you're using.

There's no such thing as lower or higher parallel software. If a program uses 8 out of 10 cores, it means there are 8 single-thread tasks running.
An algorithm is called parallel when it's able to divide a problem into many separate elements that can be run independently. "Many" usually means going down to data granularity.
So if I have 2 numerical vectors with 10^6 elements and I add them, it can be split into 10^6 separate processes.

Reactions: Zucker2k

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
There's no such thing as lower or higher parallel software. If a program uses 8 out of 10 cores, it means there are 8 single-thread tasks running.

Games are a good example of what he's talking about. The amount of threads running at a given time will vary during the game and there's dependencies and bottlenecks on specific threads which would hold up processing the frame. It gets complicated but it's why there's such a diminishing return on adding cores versus higher IPC/frequency.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Disappointed. Still no Intel 8c/16t part under 100 watts. Sticking with my E3-1265L v3 for some longer.

1590146622189.png

EDIT: I'd like to see how i7-10700T fares in these tests, though. No reviews with core/ghz power scaling. Sad times indeed.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
If you're unwilling to fiddle with the PL1/PL2 settings you may as well go AMD.
I use a multi-monitor setup so I do benefit from onboard graphics greatly. Less heat/cooling that way.

EDIT: Even with PL1 I doubt its going to be significantly less on a regular SKU. I sourced my current CPU out of a dozen with the lowest vCore and undervolted it further. The Ryzen seems to be tempting but I don't like its memory latency among other small things. The T variant might be an option for me, though.

Maybe not, peak power over 100w on 35w part. Skipping this gen, not that desperate.

Last edited:

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
Games are a good example of what he's talking about. The amount of threads running at a given time will vary during the game and there's dependencies and bottlenecks on specific threads which would hold up processing the frame. It gets complicated but it's why there's such a diminishing return on adding cores versus higher IPC/frequency.
I know what he meant. I'm only guarding the terminology. :)

Games use few threads because they run separate threads when possible. One thread loads data for locations, one runs AI, one feeds data to GPU, one runs the sound. And so on.
And of course some of these threads are so light (or activate so rarely), they won't apply a significant load on the CPU. So even if a game runs 200 threads, it may only use 1/3 of what a 3900X has to give. Which people incorrectly interpret as "game using just 4 cores" (hence: "badly optimized" or "promoting Intel").

That's sometimes called "task parallelism", but it kind of forced naming. It doesn't scale with the problem.
We've been doing task parallelism event with single-core CPUs, because the goal was not running many tasks at once but rather in a more optimal order.
Disappointed. Still no Intel 8c/16t part under 100 watts. Sticking with my E3-1265L v3 for some longer.
If you really don't want your CPU to pull more than 100W, get a motherboard that lets you set PL2 (it'll have some weird naming, e.g. "short duration package power limit").

And if you have a motherboard like that, getting a -T CPU suddenly makes a lot less sense. Just grab the normal one and set PL1 and PL2 accordingly.
Standard and -T SKUs cost the same and the latter is usually harder to find.

-T SKUs mostly make sense for OEMs and when your BIOS doesn't allow setting power limits or clocks.

And of course if the mobo maker gave that -T SoC a PL2 over 100W, it'll can boost over 100W anyway. I bet both 9900T and 10900T are capable of that.

Intel's default (recommended) formula is PL2 = 1.25 * PL1, but probably all OEMs ignore it.
I've used a slim 8700T desktop from Dell and I'm pretty sure the CPU pulled more than 44W. :)

Last edited:

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
4.3 GHz sustained isn't very good. Also Blender is not the heaviest workload out there. Anandtech measured 254W:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15785/the-intel-comet-lake-review-skylake-we-go-again/5

But you should know that already, since you tried using the frequency ramp graphic from the same review to try and make it look like the 10900k can sustain TVB clocks (it can't).

I wonder if he missed that the time scale of the graph is in milliseconds and not seconds?

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Anandtech measured 254W:
Torturing the poor chip with a Y-Cruncher AVX-2 power virus? Sure. I'm surprised it wasn't higher. You've got to give it to the chip for taking all those watts and not going belly up though..

Anyway, it's okay to admit you were wrong, you know. 4.9GHz with only 200w and 84c wasn't exactly what you predicted. Stock temps are just ridiculous:

1590189070863.png

Reactions: Rigg