Question Intel-10th-Gen-Core-i3-1005G1 shows up for purchase at Walmart.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

This laptop from HP seems to be a pretty direct competitor to their HP Slim 14" laptop with Ryzen 3 3200U (2C/4T), 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD (*mine had a Samsung SATA M.2 in it). Similar specs and price range.

Although, the base clock is only 1.2Ghz for the Intel.

Edit: According to the ARK listing, this is 2C/4T IceLake.

Wonder what this feature is:
Intel® Deep Learning Boost (Intel® DL Boost) Yes

Instruction Set Extensions Intel® SSE4.1, Intel® SSE4.2, Intel® AVX2, Intel® AVX-512

Wow, this little 2C/4T laptop has AVX512!

Last edited:

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
I think it's a BF specific model number so people can't pricematch who bought earlier. But otherwise identical. In any case there are some pretty good laptop deals out there.

Nope it is not a Black Friday special model number. HP numbering actually make sense once you are familiar with it. I used to work at retail at Frys so I am familiar with it somewhat (Frys never got its own special model numbers, but it will buy wholesale from HP if there were canceled purchase from other supplier.) With a quick google here is what some of the HP letters in the model number means.

For Specific Retail Suppliers
nr : No rebate
cl : club model (models only available to club stores like costco)
dx: best buy model
wm : walmart model

Regions for Warranty
na : North America
ea / ee / e+letter: Europe / Middle East
us : United States
ca : Canada
la : Latin America
br : Brazil
au/ax : Asia/Australia with AMD/Intel CPUS (AU = AMD + UMA, ax =AMD + discreet UMA while TU =Intel +UMA and TX = Intel +discreet)
ap: Asia Pacific
sc : Scandinavia

Other Letters
t : Intel CPU
z: AMD CPU
ae : Artist Edition
bw : Broadband Wireless Series
sb : Small Business Series
se : Special Edition

-----

Now I did not include MS even though I am confident the MS stands for Microsoft Store, or Microsoft Signature Edition, for I do not know 100% sure what the MS stands for. It could be Microsoft Store, or Signature Edition, or another thing in the Microsoft Orbit but not exactly what I said.

-----

This was a big deal with working retail and making weekly signage, for all HP laptops with US in their model number had $50 or $100 Mail in Rebates and they reset roughly every month. Yet this did not apply to the NR models which often we only got limited supplies of and they were often the cheapest HPs (aka Black Friday deals.)

The cl, dx, and wm exist only to prevent price matching. Frys with its 30+ stories did not have enough of a store presence to get those models. Yet sometimes Frys did acquire dx models months afterwards if Bestbuy was no longer purchasing that model from HP and there was surplus. Those dx models often had much higher margin and were often an intel cpu model that was 3 or 6 months behind everything else when intel was releasing new skus regularly that were 100 mhz upgrades in the early 2010s (it has not been like this for years now though, for intel fabs barely improve.)

-----

Sorry for the oversharing here but no these are not necessary black friday skus. That said Costco is getting an instant rebate from HP for their $279 model you can tell for they are including the dates for this promotion and they are calling manufacturing savings which is the "key term" what HP called their instant rebates with retailers.

It would be nice if you can guarantee getting a quad core i5 with the Costco sku (which is a mistake on someone part.) That said that model still only has 4gb of ram even though it has an 1080p ips screen (no touchscreen). It appears though you can upgrade it if you want to get your hands dirty. Here is the PDFs

Here is the product page https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-14-dq1000-laptop-pc-series/29205783/model/31046513/manuals Notice there is a User Guide and 4 PDFs and one of them , the 3rd one is the maintenance and service guide for this specific Costco model. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06403450

Of course that only applies to that specific HP, there is a similar manual for the Microsoft Store Ryzen 3 model, and its ram is upgradable as well, but why upgrade when it is already at 8 gb of ram for this $249 laptop.

trivik12

Jan 26, 2006
I got a icelake i5-G4 for just $280 at costco(4 year warranty if purchased with costco visa card). Prices are definitely a bargain now. This is with IPS screen. Though Ram/storage(4/128) is low but at least its upgradable. Probably will get 16GB RAM and 256GB storage for under $100.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I got a icelake i5-G4 for just $280 at costco(4 year warranty if purchased with costco visa card). Prices are definitely a bargain now. This is with IPS screen. Though Ram/storage(4/128) is low but at least its upgradable. Probably will get 16GB RAM and 256GB storage for under $100.

That's probably the same model I am talking about. It's advertised as having the i3 like the Walmart one but some are getting the i5 for some reason.

Reactions: trivik12

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Not the exact same model number, even if specs are same / similar. One nice thing about the Costco model is you get a 2 year warranty at no cost like all Costco laptops as part of your membership.

-----

Microsoft Store has an AMD dual core ryzen with hyperthreading with 8 gb of RAM and 128 gb SSD.

It also has a touchscreen. The downside is the resolution is 1366x768. But for $249 this is an amazing deal.

[It is a SVA panel so the color and angles will be decent.]

That resolution should not exist in 2019. Anything below 1080p should be thrown into a flaming pit of uselessness. Sure you can upgrade the other crap, but you can't upgrade the screen, at least not practically.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
That resolution should not exist in 2019. Anything below 1080p should be thrown into a flaming pit of uselessness. Sure you can upgrade the other crap, but you can't upgrade the screen, at least not practically.
$250 dollars beggars can't be choosers. Furthermore some people use laptops for travel and secondary computers and 768 is fine for this purposes. And when you are at home you are using the laptop connected to an external screen like a HTPC. And when you are home for other purposes you just want something casual you have an iPad.

And as we been talking about in this thread, it is $280 for an ips 1080p screen even if you get 4 gb of ram not 8. Then again some people are getting a quad core i5 in there and this may be something everyone gets or just a lucky few for it was a mistake.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
$250 dollars beggars can't be choosers. Furthermore some people use laptops for travel and secondary computers and 768 is fine for this purposes. And when you are at home you are using the laptop connected to an external screen like a HTPC. And when you are home for other purposes you just want something casual you have an iPad.

And as we been talking about in this thread, it is $280 for an ips 1080p screen even if you get 4 gb of ram not 8. Then again some people are getting a quad core i5 in there and this may be something everyone gets or just a lucky few for it was a mistake.

I get that it's cheap. I'd rather have 1080p and sacrifice elsewhere though, so long as it is upgradable.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
I get that it's cheap. I'd rather have 1080p and sacrifice elsewhere though, so long as it is upgradable.
I get this, but my point is everyone's use case is different. It is important to have subjective choices and trade offs. What everyone needs and wants may be different, and people may be willing to sacrifice X to reach that sub $300 price point.

If I were to work with a laptop daily, 1080p IPS is a requirement (or better tech like OLED, which is better in some ways worse in others)

But if you use the laptop 2 to 6 times a year as a laptop, and the rest of the time as a HTPC / Secondary Computer in the house with an external screen like a tv, getting more ram may be your goal if the price is sub $300.

-----

Once we are talking $400 in price getting 8 gb of ram, IPS, and a whole host of other features I think is a requirement unless you can't wait for a sale and you need a replacement computer today for your old one broke.

And the difference between $250 and $400 is over 50% price increase. Now the difference between $250 and $280 or $300 is only 12 to 20% price increase.

Reactions: spursindonesia

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I got a icelake i5-G4 for just $280 at costco(4 year warranty if purchased with costco visa card).

That seems extremely low for a i5-G4. G4 also means 48EU version of the Iris graphics. I thought VirtualLarry's link for the i3 was really low price.

If I were to work with a laptop daily, 1080p IPS is a requirement (or better tech like OLED, which is better in some ways worse in others)

Yup. Though if you get used to it, 768p isn't bad at all. My current monitor is a 19-inch 1280x1024 I bought for $40 on craigslist. It was jarring in the first week, but I got used to it. I call that a win. :)

$300 laptops are most likely used by folks that are really strapped for cash or by seniors. They don't really care about the specs.

trivik12

Jan 26, 2006
Not the exact same model number, even if specs are same / similar. One nice thing about the Costco model is you get a 2 year warranty at no cost like all Costco laptops as part of your membership.

-----

Microsoft Store has an AMD dual core ryzen with hyperthreading with 8 gb of RAM and 128 gb SSD.

It also has a touchscreen. The downside is the resolution is 1366x768. But for $249 this is an amazing deal.

[It is a SVA panel so the color and angles will be decent.]
Costco is 4 year warranty if you buy with Costco visa card. That makes it amazing. Plus costco has very good return policy of 90 days as well. Plus its 1080p display. So no comparison.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I thought VirtualLarry's link for the i3 was really low price.
I assume that you're talking about my Walmart link. Yeah, the Costco laptop appears to be mostly the same, at the same or lower price, AND have a "FHD" (1080P) screen, whereas the WM model is only 720P / "HD", AND the people on the SD thread, report receiving laptops with the i5, not the i3, installed. BIG WIN!

Honestly, that's getting pretty crazy, for under $300, getting a brand-new generation i5 with G4 graphics, and a 1080P FHD screen. RAM and SSD can usually be upgraded, as long as it's not a bottom-of-the-barrel eMMC-using craptop like that Lenovo 14w that's also seen some attention (and I stupidly? bought into).
(Edit: At least the build quality is good on the $130 Lenovo, and it has a 1080P FHD screen too, or at least, that's what was advertised, I haven't taken mine out to inspect / use it yet. Debating on sending it back.)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Honestly, that's getting pretty crazy, for under $300, getting a brand-new generation i5 with G4 graphics, and a 1080P FHD screen.

That is crazy. It makes me think they are given the Icelake chips because Intel can't supply enough 14nm chips on the low end. Remember the rumors how they were prioritizing for the high end?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
That is crazy. It makes me think they are given the Icelake chips because Intel can't supply enough 14nm chips on the low end. Remember the rumors how they were prioritizing for the high end?
They have to for several reasons. If you are going to use 10nm it needs to be in at least not clock sensitive spots. They need as much 14nm for ever growing die sizes on enthusiast/workstation/server. Being able to ship actual useful 10nm chips even if its on the low end is a real win win for them.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001

I will never understand this obsession with 1080p or higher on smaller 14-15'' screens. IPS, quality screens etc. sure but you do need the power to drive those pixels. Its admittedly far better tech wise with integrated gpus/apu today than it was 5-10 years ago (since sandy bridge especially) but I've seen enough laptops in the last 10 years that were fine cpu wise but it was the gpu holding it back.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
Haven't you heard? Ever since Zen came out, Cinebench doesn't matter anymore. Now it's just gaming and photoshop.
I would change this definition
Even since zen Intel moron forum warriors went into silence and AMD moron forum warriors got their orgasms, as today
why the redacted again cinepeenbech on ultrabook- the machine suited for rendering

Profanity (even abbreviated) is
not allowed in the tech forums.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I would change this definition
Even since zen Intel moron forum warriors went into silence and AMD moron forum warriors got their orgasms, as today
why the redacted again cinepeenbech on ultrabook- the machine suited for rendering

Profanity (even abbreviated) is
not allowed in the tech forums.

AT Mod Usandthem
I have tried to substitute a large number of words in the place of the moderated profanity, but I still don't understand what you wanted to write. I guess no hablo Inglés?

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
I have tried to substitute a large number of words in the place of the moderated profanity, but I still don't understand what you wanted to write. I guess no hablo Inglés?
You might try "heck," "darn" or even "bleep." Mods: is "defecatory" allowed?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
156 pts in CB R15 single thread and 146 pts for a Ryzen 2500U

Thing is, 146 for the 2500U is way out of the norm. 146 is more like what you can expect the 2700U to get. Being said, R15 even ST seems to have a decent variance in scores. I don't know if that is due to short term power consumption settings, or maybe the WIndows 10/OEM crapware.

I could see Intel pulling an nVidia and giving OEMs a slightly cheaper version of the 1005G1 which has the voltage cranked up as high as they can go to maximize yield.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
You might try "heck," "darn" or even "bleep." Mods: is "defecatory" allowed?
The sentence still doesn't make any sense, no matter what. Or I'm just too old for reading text without punctuation or with random words left out. Sorry for going way off topic :)

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
without the so-called "Oxford comma," a series of nouns is 'a, b and c.' I prefer that. If you use the Oxford comma," a series of nouns is 'a, b, and c.'

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
without the so-called "Oxford comma," a series of nouns is 'a, b and c.' I prefer that. If you use the Oxford comma," a series of nouns is 'a, b, and c.'

What was this in reference to? BTW, I must disagree.

why-i-still-use-the-oxford-comma.jpg

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Well
"Even since zen Intel moron forum warriors went into silence and AMD moron forum warriors got their orgasms, as today
why the redacted again cinepeenbech on ultrabook- the machine suited for rendering "
Show me all the oxford commas and other formulas here - I'm happy to learn :)

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Folks, we seem to be getting way off topic here. Any further discussions that do not apply to this topic will result in warnings and/or infractions.

trivik12

Jan 26, 2006
I got the I5 laptop at Costco and bought 16GB Ram/512GB NVME SSD for another 100 bucks. 380 bucks with icelake i5 and 16GB/512GB config is great. I wish I could have gotten LPDDR4x memory instead to improve battery life but I dont see that available as retail.

Obviously its better to buy a premium laptop like XPS 13/Spectre or Surface laptop but prices for those are ridiculous. They are almost close to Mac level over priced. other day someone at twitter was saying Mac 16" was Value for money !!!!!

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I got the I5 laptop at Costco and bought 16GB Ram/512GB NVME SSD for another 100 bucks. 380 bucks with icelake i5 and 16GB/512GB config is great. I wish I could have gotten LPDDR4x memory instead to improve battery life but I dont see that available as retail.

Obviously its better to buy a premium laptop like XPS 13/Spectre or Surface laptop but prices for those are ridiculous. They are almost close to Mac level over priced. other day someone at twitter was saying Mac 16" was Value for money !!!!!

That's an insane deal. How did you get it? Online the closest thing I see is 8GB/256GB for $399.