Question Intel-10th-Gen-Core-i3-1005G1 shows up for purchase at Walmart.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

This laptop from HP seems to be a pretty direct competitor to their HP Slim 14" laptop with Ryzen 3 3200U (2C/4T), 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD (*mine had a Samsung SATA M.2 in it). Similar specs and price range.

Although, the base clock is only 1.2Ghz for the Intel.

Edit: According to the ARK listing, this is 2C/4T IceLake.

Wonder what this feature is:
Intel® Deep Learning Boost (Intel® DL Boost) Yes

Instruction Set Extensions Intel® SSE4.1, Intel® SSE4.2, Intel® AVX2, Intel® AVX-512

Wow, this little 2C/4T laptop has AVX512!

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In hindsight, perhaps this should have gone in the IceLake thread. Mods please merge/move/close as appropriate.

I just thought that this was news. Apparently Dell has IceLake mobile CPUs in new laptops as well.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Too bad about the rez and the single-channel RAM, the CPU is actually very spiffy for a low-end laptop. Faster than an i3-4370 according to Passmark. I am guessing it would feel pretty quick with light browser workloads.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah, for $30 more you get the screen, the memory, and double the storage. Better CPU, too.

Such is craptop life. You would get way better single thread performance on the Icelake but 4 GB of memory isn't enough with all that crap Windows 10 has. It'd be quite usable if you used Linux (or if you could go back in time and use Windows 7)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Such is craptop life. You would get way better single thread performance on the Icelake but 4 GB of memory isn't enough with all that crap Windows 10 has. It'd be quite usable if you used Linux (or if you could go back in time and use Windows 7)

Intel doesn't even release Windows 8.1 drivers for their iGPUs anymore so your SOL there.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

156 pts in CB R15 single thread and 146 pts for a Ryzen 2500U, not sure that it qualify as "way better", in MT that s a no contest in favour of the Ryzen.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Maximum RAM Supported4 GB
and
Resolution 720p

HP and Intel really think highly of these cpus to put them into monsters like this.

It is a VA panel at least, sure it is a 1366x768 but you will not get the weird color banding you see in cheap TN panels that are in most of these craptops. It is a real SSD and not an emmc storage, it is a real screen, with a real processor. Sure 4GB of ram is not ideal for a main machine but for a cheap portable machine for travel. Oh it has an HDMI port so you can also use this as a HTPC or second computer in the house.

You are getting what you pay for but this is not hideous what the final result what you are getting for. My only question for I am not sure if it still applies can you upgrade the Windows 10 in S mode to full Windows 10 Home or is it store only apps? If its store only apps this hardware combination would have been better as a chromebook. Also I am curious how interesting linux or a chromium build on this machine would be.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You are getting what you pay for but this is not hideous what the final result what you are getting for. My only question for I am not sure if it still applies can you upgrade the Windows 10 in S mode to full Windows 10 Home or is it store only apps? If its store only apps this hardware combination would have been better as a chromebook. Also I am curious how interesting linux or a chromium build on this machine would be.
I'm not sure about Chromium builds, but as far as Windows 10 Home S-mode to regular Windows 10 Home, yes, you can convert, it requires downloading and running a special tool, which of course, only available on the app store, and as far as I can see, you MUST provide MS with an "MS Account" to LOG-IN to the store, in order to get that special conversion tool app. You can't do it anonymously.

Edit: That's another point in favor of the Lenovo, they still use no-nonsense "normal" versions of Win10 on their laptops, that I can see, even the lower-end ones.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I'm not sure about Chromium builds, but as far as Windows 10 Home S-mode to regular Windows 10 Home, yes, you can convert, it requires downloading and running a special tool, which of course, only available on the app store, and as far as I can see, you MUST provide MS with an "MS Account" to LOG-IN to the store, in order to get that special conversion tool app. You can't do it anonymously.

I don't think you don't need to go trough the store if you don't want to. Just wipe the drive and install the latest version of Windows normally, set up a local account, and you're set. Quite anonymously too.

From MS themselves:
With the April 2018 Update, Windows 10 S became a mode of Windows 10 (called “S mode”). It's now available in Windows 10 Home edition, Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Pro Education—and you can buy new PCs with an edition of the S mode preinstalled.

If you have an existing Windows 10 S device and you install the April 2018 Update or later, you'll have a Windows 10 Pro device in S mode.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Edit: That's another point in favor of the Lenovo, they still use no-nonsense "normal" versions of Win10 on their laptops, that I can see, even the lower-end ones.
The Lenovo is better in everything and is worth the $30 price increase. Only things it may not be better in is weight (this is for sure), and possibly battery life. But double the storage, ips panel instead of va (both are good ips is probably better), double the ram, etc it is a serious upgrade for $30 bucks.

I am just glad that hardware at the $300 point (aka the cheaper HP with the i3) is no longer hideous like it used to be. Now most $300 hardware is still hideous, but this specific computer that started the thread is usable in a satisfactory way even if its not the "ideal" way.

Reactions: Thunder 57

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't think you don't need to go trough the store if you don't want to. Just wipe the drive and install the latest version of Windows normally, set up a local account, and you're set. Quite anonymously too.
No, I tried that, and clearly documented that in a thread in the OS forum.

I tried using MCT to install "normal" Windows 10. When installed, it's in "S-Mode". The only way out of it is through the store app, that I've found.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
So the Ryzen 3, 3200U model is now $249 instead of the $279 for the similar intel i3-1005G1 [PS I think the HP Intel went down in price, my memory recall was that it was $299 now it is $279.] The i3 is probably faster in single thread based off synthetic benchmarks by significant amount, but if you are going for barebones 128gb ssd, 4gb ram, dual core with hyperthreading than these two hp 14" laptops are similar. In fact almost identical specs besides one being AMD and one being Intel.

Now the Lenovo Quad Core Ryzen 5 is a true Quad Core plus hyperthreading on top of that, double the ram (8 GB), double the SSD amount (256 gb.) Everything is better but the price, for it is $329 instead of $249/$279.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So Costco now has the same laptop for the same price, if you are a member. But hilariously (?) some people are getting the i5 1035G4 instead for some reason.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
So Costco now has the same laptop for the same price, if you are a member. But hilariously (?) some people are getting the i5 1035G4 instead for some reason.

Is it one that's fully unlocked or does it have something disabling cores? In looking at the spec sheet the TDP is the same (15W) so there's nothing preventing them from using that chip in the same laptop. With some additional memory that'd be a pretty sweet deal even with the disappointing screen.

My guess is that HP had a few extra orders that they needed to fill but not enough chips from Intel so they just dropped a few of these other ones in without caring. It's not like anyone's going to complain when they get a twice as many cores at no real cost since the base frequencies are essentially the same.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008

Not the exact same model number, even if specs are same / similar. One nice thing about the Costco model is you get a 2 year warranty at no cost like all Costco laptops as part of your membership.

-----

Microsoft Store has an AMD dual core ryzen with hyperthreading with 8 gb of RAM and 128 gb SSD.

It also has a touchscreen. The downside is the resolution is 1366x768. But for $249 this is an amazing deal.

[It is a SVA panel so the color and angles will be decent.]

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Not the exact same model number, even if specs are same / similar. One nice thing about the Costco model is you get a 2 year warranty at no cost like all Costco laptops as part of your membership.

I think it's a BF specific model number so people can't pricematch who bought earlier. But otherwise identical. In any case there are some pretty good laptop deals out there.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Too bad about the rez and the single-channel RAM, the CPU is actually very spiffy for a low-end laptop. Faster than an i3-4370 according to Passmark. I am guessing it would feel pretty quick with light browser workloads.
What is it about single channel ram that they all love. I am shopping for a laptop around the 1000 AUD mark and every single one has single channel memory. It triggers me.