Integrated video cutting out on Shuttle box

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Hi everyone
I've got a ~1 month old Shuttle box (SH170R6) with LGA1151 / H170 chipset. I'm just doing 2D display work with it, so I am using the integrated video. Unfortunately, the video will occasionally go black. This happens on both the DP and HDMI outputs. It happens in Windows as well as on the BIOS screen, so it is not a driver issue.

Usually the video does not come back after a single power cycle, but if I turn it on and off a few times (maybe pulling the cord in between), then the video comes back. It can run fine for days, but will eventually be flakey and take 5-10 power cycles to come back.

Any ideas? I doubt it is my Dell monitor because it seems to be 100% stable on a different computer.

Thanks!

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Are you overclocking?
What CPU are you using?
What kind of video settings are you using and what kind of Monitor?
What kind of video cable are you using?
What kind of power supply did you use?

Are you using a 4k monitor? That is a fairly new technology and you cant put the settings too high.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Run CoreTemp to track CPU (and iGPU) temperature during use. Assuming nothing unusual there, run CPU and GPU torture tests (IntelBurnTest, FurMark) to see what happens when the components are pushed (monitoring temps while testing). If the screen blanks out during testing, you should be able to tell if heat related or hardware failure.

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Are you overclocking?
What CPU are you using?
What kind of video settings are you using and what kind of Monitor?
What kind of video cable are you using?
What kind of power supply did you use?

Are you using a 4k monitor? That is a fairly new technology and you cant put the settings too high.

Answers:
  • H170 chipset does not support overclocking
  • CPU: i7-6700
  • Dell 27" ultrasharp monitor (works fine with other computers) @ native resolution of 2560x1440
  • Both HDMI and Displayport have been tested, using Amazon and Dell cables
  • Powersupply included with the Shuttle box. It is 300W Bronze 80Plus.
  • Also, I've got the latest BIOS & I'm running Windows 10. Of course I've had this problem occur on the BIOS screen. I'm wondering if it is either some bizarre motherboard flaw or a flaky PSU. Unfortunately it's not a standard PSU size, so all I can do is buy another Shuttle PSU to try.

Last edited:

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Run CoreTemp to track CPU (and iGPU) temperature during use. Assuming nothing unusual there, run CPU and GPU torture tests (IntelBurnTest, FurMark) to see what happens when the components are pushed (monitoring temps while testing). If the screen blanks out during testing, you should be able to tell if heat related or hardware failure.

I will do this as soon as I get a chance. I've also thought about plugging it into a Kill-a-watt just to see what the power draw is. If I'm getting up to the limit of the 300W power supply I'd get a bit worried. I did run it for a weekend using Prime95 back when I built it with no problems...

I also bought a cheapo $50 EVGA video card (Geforce 710) to test if it happens on external video.