Insurance for copyright infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I hope some of the local attorneys weigh in on this, because it sure is interesting.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/universal-music-chet-baker-lawsuit-260608

Company does not pay royalty fees to owner of music
Owner of music sues record company
Record company pays fees due to the owner of the material

Now for a twist in things, record company sues its own insurance company to recover what was paid out in royalties.

Because the royalties were paid "after" the copyright infringement lawsuit was filed, the record company is claiming the insurance company has to pay.

Lets see:
Company tries to cheat owner of music out of royalties
Owner sues
Company pays
Company sues insurance provider because for its own misconduct

How does that work out?

Why aren't the people doing this kind of stuff in prison? I thought copyright infringement carried the possibility of prison?

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
If the insurance company's actuaries are doing their job properly it should be a wash or a loss for the record companies in the long run when you factor in their premiums.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Get rid of the RIAA-associated record labels. End SOPA immediately, knock off bullshit like this.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
because they're rich. do you not remember this? 6 billion worth of damage using their own measuring system for damages. sucks for them, sadly the artists will probably never see a dime.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20091207/1201017234.shtml

The artists are free not to sign with the major labels. There are many high quality musicians doing their own thing these day. If you sign with major labels you have the ability to, given your talents, have huge marketing experience behind you. This can and does push certain people to unattainable heights if they went on their own.

Of course nobody complains after they become trent reznor as we know him. Shaped and built and marketed by the major labels who is now free to go out and do his own thing with all of that marketing already behind him.

No.

Only those who fail to manage correctly their budgets or expect more then 1 hit feel cheated by the system they foolishly jumped into. Those people should of not gone major label then.

At any rate, they can still play shows and earn money. Musicians have been doing this for hundreds of years. In fact selling music as a recording is the anomaly in all of human history.

Movies however can not recoup their loses via live shows. very different industry.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
JSt0rm, I completely agree but what does that have to do with my link? Not trying to be smart, you just kind of confused me with that response lol.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Sorry yeah I just kind of quoted you but I am referring to all who hate the major labels. The major labels are there and serve a purpose (a shrinking purpose but still). I don't think its correct for us (not you specifically) to say do away with them.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
oh and i know a recording artist that receive around 70k a year in royalties from his work in the early 80's. So even "1 hit wonder types" given they structured their deals correctly can have a comfortable addition to whatever it is they are doing now.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
oh and i know a recording artist that receive around 70k a year in royalties from his work in the early 80's. So even "1 hit wonder types" given they structured their deals correctly can have a comfortable addition to whatever it is they are doing now.

Did not know you were friendly with Tommy Tutone. :D

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

How much is Rick Astley pulling in these days?

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I don't know how that type of insurance works, but I know on my business liability insurance, if I act on my own behalf and settle a claim or even admit fault, my insurance company has no obligation to cover the claim. They must act on my behalf for them to cover the claim.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Did not know you were friendly with Tommy Tutone. :D

oh believe me we make fun of him all the time. He knows trust me he knows. But he is still pulling in 70k a year for nothing in royalties. Thats pretty sick. On top of that he composes music for film and tv. he's doing better then all of us.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just try to get something past United Laboratories (UL) a wonerful free enterprise supposedely independant insurance agency. As long as you pay them their fees for "extra testimg" your product will eventually get approved. Just have a big wallet.

Oh I thought it was big gubment that was in the way of "job ceators"

Status
Not open for further replies.