Installing windows 2000/xp, should I switch boot order to hard drive from cdrom after first time restart?

dodo

Jan 17, 2000
When we install windows we set CD Rom as first device to boot. After it finished copy of files and system will restart. At this time should I change the boot order so that it will boot from hard drive or should I just leave CD Rom still as the first device to boot from? I did not see it is specially mentioned in any installation guide. Can someone confirm whether I am right here?

My concern is if I change the boot order to boot from hard drive, will it interrupt the installation? Of cause I will still leave installation CD in CD Rom.

Thanks a lot!

dodo

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
doesnt matter...win XP's boot cd has some special procedure so only boots up through the CD on ur request

hatim

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
just leave it alone, when you install xp, after it reboots, it will say "hit a key to boot from cd", don't hit a key and it will then go to the next in the boot order, which may be floppy or hdd. when it gets to the hdd it will then continue the install.

good luck.... we are here if you need us

josedawg

Aug 9, 2003
Originally posted by: bacillus
change the boot order after xp has been fully installed!

yes. after it is fully installed, i always change the First Boot: CD-ROM to HDD0 to allow for quicker boot time (maybe a few seconds, but those few seconds add to a lot if you reboot constantly) if you need to boot off of the CD-ROM, just go into BIOS and switch it, and then switch it back when you're done. if this computer ISN'T for you, and for someone who's computer newbie, i would leave it at CD-ROM as you dont want them tampering with the BIOS.