Question Installing Win10 when chipset drivers only go to Win7

Shredded_Wheat64

Jan 14, 2019
I searched first but didn't find anything exactly as described below....

I haven't built a computer in about 5 years so rusty...I want to do a clean install but chipset drivers don't include Win10...should I install windows 7 first with these drivers and then upgrade to Win10?

Shredded_Wheat64

Jan 14, 2019
What chipset are you using? Windows 10 may already have the drivers built in.

Z68 (Intel motherboard Z68ma-d2h-b3 gigabyte) with an i5 2500k oced to 4.2
I installed win 10 no problem and ran Driver Boaster and it found other old drivers but wants me to pay for other drivers. Going to try and download a game and see how it runs. No problems in device manager.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Z68 (Intel motherboard Z68ma-d2h-b3 gigabyte) with an i5 2500k oced to 4.2
I installed win 10 no problem and ran Driver Boaster and it found other old drivers but wants me to pay for other drivers. Going to try and download a game and see how it runs. No problems in device manager.
Why are you running Driver Boaster? Win10 should already have drivers for that chipset builtin.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Dude, installing those "driver finder" programs, quite frankly, you deserve what you get, if you choose to use those.

A general rule of thumb is, with Windows, if the hardware was released BEFORE that version of Windows, and ESPECIALLY if it's a name-brand pre-built, GENERALLY Windows will have drivers for it, out-of-the-box. Windows 10 is even better, as if you can get the PC onto the internet when you're installing it, it will go out and find and download and install whatever updated drivers that it can find for your hardware, to get everything working. (*)

(*) For AMD GCN GPUs and IGPUs, it installs 17.1.1 drivers. The newest right now is 19.1.1. So manual driver downloading and updating may be important to you, if you want the newest. But PLEASE, don't use nagware "driver update" programs, they are a PITA, and barely a step above spyware.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
When using those online Computer Checkers it is recommended to buy and use some Snake Oil*** too.

There assistance is based on "Bilking Money" from naive users.

:cool:

*** snake oil
comes from the 19th-century American practice of selling cure-all elixirs in traveling medicine shows. Snake oil salesmen would falsely claim that the potions would cure any ailments. now-a-days it refers to fake products.

Shredded_Wheat64

Jan 14, 2019
Dude, installing those "driver finder" programs, quite frankly, you deserve what you get, if you choose to use those.

A general rule of thumb is, with Windows, if the hardware was released BEFORE that version of Windows, and ESPECIALLY if it's a name-brand pre-built, GENERALLY Windows will have drivers for it, out-of-the-box. Windows 10 is even better, as if you can get the PC onto the internet when you're installing it, it will go out and find and download and install whatever updated drivers that it can find for your hardware, to get everything working. (*)

(*) For AMD GCN GPUs and IGPUs, it installs 17.1.1 drivers. The newest right now is 19.1.1. So manual driver downloading and updating may be important to you, if you want the newest. But PLEASE, don't use nagware "driver update" programs, they are a PITA, and barely a step above spyware.

I try not to use those programs often...agree with "getting what I deserve" but the motherboard website didn't have anything for Win 10. Otherwise I've been building computers since the 486 days and would build a computer about every 1-2 years since then but current setup has lasted me this long so as I mentioned rusty on builds/installs. Thanks for the advice

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Just tried DriverPack Solution https://drp.su/en this week and I liked it! The software (DriverPack online, 1MB) is portable and run directly, no installation required, user interface is clean and easy.

One of my Windows 10 mini-PC file system corrupted and could not boot. Downloaded Windows 10 USB and reinstalled the system. Vendor provided drivers files but no installer. Intel's website did not help either. Missing at least 7 or 8 devices. None of the device driver update that points to local folders worked.

Had to go online and try something that I have never done before.

All I can say DriverPack Solution let you select what to install and no malwares were installed, at least for my experience, and it find all devices except one Broadcom wireless SDIO device, which had to be installed manually using unconventional steps.

Last edited:

Shredded_Wheat64

Jan 14, 2019
Just tried DriverPack Solution https://drp.su/en this week and I liked it! The software (DriverPack online, 1MB) is portable and run directly, no installation required, user interface is clean and easy.

One of my Windows 10 mini-PC file system corrupted and could not boot. Downloaded Windows 10 USB and reinstalled the system. Vendor provided drivers files but no installer. Intel's website did not help either. Missing at least 7 or 8 devices. None of the device driver update that points to local folders worked.

Had to go online and try something that I have never done before.

All I can say DriverPack Solution let you select what to install and no malwares were installed, at least for my experience, and it find all devices except one Broadcom wireless SDIO device, which had to be installed manually using unconventional steps.

Thanks for link will do a restore point and try it out! :)