installing retail version of Windows 10 in new build

mfh6375

Jun 20, 2005
I see that most people buy the OEM version and download to a usb key on a different computer for their installs on a new build. While that sounds easy enough, I think I would prefer the retail version for an extra $20. That way I would have full Microsoft tech support if needed. But, are there any issues installing on a new build with the supplied usb in the retail version?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
No issues. I also generally buy retail keys as well as you can transfer the license to a new build, whereas OEM keys are generally tied to the one it is activated on.

However, I would recommend downloading the OS, and making an install USB directly from Microsoft because it will likely be a much newer build than what comes on those packaged USB drives. You simply just would enter your key when prompted, as it's not tied to the included USB or anything like that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just use any USB thumb drive you have, and click on the "download tool now", and follow the directions.

mfh6375

Jun 20, 2005
No issues. I also generally buy retail keys as well as you can transfer the license to a new build, whereas OEM keys are generally tied to the one it is activated on.

However, I would recommend downloading the OS, and making an install USB directly from Microsoft because it will likely be a much newer build than what comes on those packaged USB drives. You simply just would enter your key when prompted, as it's not tied to the included USB or anything like that.

Just use any USB thumb drive you have, and click on the "download tool now", and follow the directions.
Ok cool thanks. I will do that. So, does the usb key I use need to be completely empty except for Windows 10, or can it have other stuff on it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok cool thanks. I will do that. So, does the usb key I use need to be completely empty except for Windows 10, or can it have other stuff on it?

When you create the tool, if I remember correctly since it's been a few years, it will format the drive and then install the installation files. So you would want to use a drive with nothing on it (or be OK letting Windows format it if your files are backed up elsewhere).

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes that is wise. If you are bending over you don't want to hesitate one moment if the outcome is $20 difference.

mfh6375

Jun 20, 2005

Well, I ran into a little issue when I clicked on the link you provided. Here is what it says:
You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool and we want to make sure you can download Windows 10. To use the media creation tool, visit the Microsoft Software Download Windows 10 page from a Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.

You can use this page to download a disc image (ISO file) that can be used to install or reinstall Windows 10. The image can also be used to create installation media using a USB flash drive or DVD.

I guess I can't use media creation tool, since the old computer I'm downloading with has Vista. But, I can and did download the ISO file. Will that work if I put it on a USB?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I guess I can't use media creation tool, since the old computer I'm downloading with has Vista. But, I can and did download the ISO file. Will that work if I put it on a USB?

No, you need it to make a bootable installation disc. Just having the ISO on the thumb drive shouldn't make it bootable. You would have to use a program like Rufus to create bootable media from the ISO: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I guess if you only have access to a Vista PC to create the bootable drive, you might just have to install Windows 10 off of the included USB drive that comes in the retail package, or download the ISO and create a drive like I mentioned above.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think Rufus (Portable Edition) will run on Vista. OP should be able to use that, in conjunction with the Windows 10 ISO, to create a bootable Windows 10 Install USB.