Question Installing High Sierra direct on 27" Late 2009 imac.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I hope a mac expert can answer few questions I have.

I have a 27" late 2009 Imac (i5 , 8gb , ssd ) that I've upgraded in the past and have been using well.
Recently with additional computer requirement at home, I've decided to try bootcamp and try to install Windows 10 on it.
I've found out many complications with the boot drive needing to be on first sata port for windows and it only uses very old radeon drivers among many other nagging problems. After finally installin WIN10 , I've found it's quite sluggish and runs very hot all the time , so decided to go back to mac OS.

First, I've found the internet recovery doesnt work due to original Mac OS drive being formatted.

So , after testing many things and failing (making boot disk from windows...) I had to dig up old DVD drive and install snow Leopard > install El Capitan > than finally install High Sierra.

Now everything seems ok but here is my question.

Can I install HIGH sierra directly without going through hoops of installing 3 osX?
Can this be made on USB stick?
And for some reason it still doesnt go into internet recovery mode, any idea how to fix this?

thanks.

Nov 20, 2009
You can perform an Internet recovery with an unformatted boot-targeted drive, but you have to go into Disk Utilities and format the drive, or reformat the drive accordingly. I've done this many times and with the help of the most appropriate forum for this kind of endeavors: macrumors.com. Not knocking Anandtech by any means but on macrumors you'll find a lot more people with serious experience in these matters as provien by my use of them.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
You can perform an Internet recovery with an unformatted boot-targeted drive, but you have to go into Disk Utilities and format the drive, or reformat the drive accordingly. I've done this many times and with the help of the most appropriate forum for this kind of endeavors: macrumors.com. Not knocking Anandtech by any means but on macrumors you'll find a lot more people with serious experience in these matters as provien by my use of them.

Ok, Ill try them too,

its really an odd issue. When I first got this, I actually removed old HDD and DVD drive and upgraded with blank SSD AND HDD. And used internet recovery fine.
But I think in the process of installing bootcamp, something must have changed. No matter what key combo or even with different keyboard, it just won't bring up internet recovery mode.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Curious, did you also install a thermal detector as well?
No, i just changed to normal hdds and control the temps with "FAN CONTROL'. It's free and throttles with right temperature situation. works very well.
For my 2010 27” iMac, I bought an optical drive temp sensor cable for US$8 off Amazon and that works perfectly. No need for fan control software.