herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
first, I don't care if you would not ever touch a gas pipe and think iI should do the same. I am certified to work on up to 10000 psi oil field equipment and am very competent with black pipe, stainless pipe, autoclave fittings and high pressures.

Home gas is about .5 psi, 6 inches water column.

ok....
real questions.

would you use CSST to run a line 20 feet from existing mechanical room to a stove ?

i will properly bond it with #6 awg bare or green copper to the panel ground that is close to the starting location, It will be going through finished basement ceiling ( dry wall). CSST will allow me to cut less holes in the drywall hopefully.

or do i massacre my ceiling and install black pipe. would probably end up running about 6 feet of it above the flooring in the kitchen behind cabinets due to access issues.

MaMa wants the fancy stove in before thanksgiving. The glass top we have now is a real POS.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I hate CSST, and use it all the time. I hate it because it's far more susceptible to damage than steel. I use it because it's so damn fast and easy to install. Most of my installations are a combination of the two, with a great deal of attention paid to protecting the CSST.

Read all of the installation guidelines, and follow them. If you live in an area that gets lightning look into the jacketed stuff, I think it's called flashshield. It has a braided stainless jacket that grounds the pipe. Keep in mind that fittings can be stupid expensive.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I hate CSST, and use it all the time. I hate it because it's far more susceptible to damage than steel. I use it because it's so damn fast and easy to install. Most of my installations are a combination of the two, with a great deal of attention paid to protecting the CSST.

Read all of the installation guidelines, and follow them. If you live in an area that gets lightning look into the jacketed stuff, I think it's called flashshield. It has a braided stainless jacket that grounds the pipe. Keep in mind that fittings can be stupid expensive.
Hmm I'll check it out.

Yea, but I would need 2 fittings instead of maybe 6 plus the 5 trips to depot to get pipe threaded with time and gas.

I was hoping you would reply. Thanks.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
If you use the flashshield, you'll need a special trimmer for the outer jacket. It's just a plastic cube with cutters in it at the right spacing to cut through the two layers of jacket. To cut the pipe, you'll need a tubing cutter with a wheel in it for ABS. The copper wheels that come in the cutters aren't big enough to cut the two layers of jacket and the pipe, it will end up grabbing the outer jacket and tearing it.

Good luck, and be sure to read the installation guide, it's important.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
My vote is for threaded black pipe simply on the basis of safety. Can never be too careful when dealing with gas/propane. A few pros near me wont touch it and do black pipe exclusively; their insurances not covering csst installs. If you have to open your ceiling a little for installing CSST, would opening it up the rest of the way for black pipe be that much worse or that much more work? A question for you to decide...

Do you have a buddy you can borrow a pipe threader from? Or find a die head for the size pipe needed (frequently on craigslist for sale section)? For such a small job you dont need a power threader, a hand operated ratcheting threader, a vice and a small bottle of cutting oil is more then enough for such a small job. Might save you a few trips to home depot if you can thread the pipe yourself.

You could also run black pipe outside the house and re-enter the structure at the kitchen if feasible. I'd paint with some rustoleum paint for longevity

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Whelp. Ended up with black pipe. Csst was going to be more than 100 bucks for a 12 ft run. Valve at both ends so that I only had to turn the gas off for a few min. 5 90s and a 45. Uggg. Luckily I had the forethought to have the guy putting in the boiler install a T instead of a 90.

I have a lot of pipes.
f5443d79ee2b0a9d9d451166fd242a8a.jpg

Reactions: NetWareHead