Installing fog lamps in my dads car! Is it BAD to use the 12v power from the ignition? (when the key is on the wire=12v)

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
My dad went to an electronics store and they gave him a relay so that when ever the ignition is on the fog lamps are available with power. (theres a switch for them, and they only turn on when the ignition is on, but I can shut them off)

So on the relay in back it says "126" and on top "49400" I think its an original chrysler relay, but anyways. Ive got a 30, 85, 87, and 86 that I can connect wires to, the middle one (87a) has no wire, the electronics guy said I didnt need it.

What he wrote down:

85 = high beam
87 = ignition
86 = switch to the 87/ignition
30 = positive for the fog lamps..

Instead of the high beams I tried putting a constant 12 volts for testing, same for ignition, the lamps never turn on...

Any ideas on how I could get this to work?

EDIT!!!

Everything is working now, but my dad still wants to know if its bad to use a switch on the 12v ignition wire....

EX:

When key is turned theres 12v in that wire, so I tap onto that wire and send it to the fog lamps.....

Is that hard on the wire? will I be likely to blow fuses??

Thanks!!

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
You want to use a relay that draws a little power from the switch and then opens and draws the main power straight from the battery.

Edit: Guess I should have actually READ the post....

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
You want to use a relay that draws a little power from the switch and then opens and draws the main power straight from the battery.

Edit: Guess I should have actually READ the post....

hehe. Thanks for your post. Is it BAD to go directly from the ignition though?

TwoBills

Apr 11, 2004
Are you saying that you're running the hot from the ign. straight to the lamps, with a switch in between? No relay?

Not the best idea. Either wire the relay in or put an inline fuse on the hot wire.

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
Originally posted by: TwoBills
Are you saying that you're running the hot from the ign. straight to the lamps, with a switch in between? No relay?

Not the best idea. Either wire the relay in or put an inline fuse on the hot wire.

Heres how we ended up doing it:

12v from the ignition going to relay, the biggest 12v power we could find in the dash (12 gauge I think) and used that to power the fog lights when the key is in...)

seems to be going well.

Thanks for the help