Question Installing drivers on system without mouse, keyboard

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Ok, so bizarre situation...

I've got Windows 7 running fine on my current system. But NONE of the devices work, keyboard, mouse, etc because I have to give that mobo its Win7 drivers. How do I load up all the individual drivers that I have if the computer won't recognise the mouse?

For whatever reason, my USB2.0 ports wont read devices. I have a PS/2 adapter to try using PS/2 to install the driver but none of my mice or keyboards work with it. Any ideas?

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Try booting to a Linux Live USB drive to see if the USB peripherals are working. If they are then you could probably download Teamviewer QuickSupport, copy it to the system drive, create a shortcut then paste that to the windows startup folder. Boot to windows then control it using another computer of your phone.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Try booting to a Linux Live USB drive to see if the USB peripherals are working. If they are then you could probably download Teamviewer QuickSupport, copy it to the system drive, create a shortcut then paste that to the windows startup folder. Boot to windows then control it using another computer of your phone.
Wow. That's clever.

Reactions: tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Whoa... ok a bit over my head, I'm gonna have to read this slower later to wrap my head around it but thanks.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Mouse/keyboard USB drivers are already supported since WinXP, why does it has to be slipstreamed in Win 7? It's somehow the installation probably has been screwed up. Or the motherboard's plug and play malfunctioned.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Mouse/keyboard USB drivers are already supported since WinXP, why does it has to be slipstreamed in Win 7? It's somehow the installation probably has been screwed up. Or the motherboard's plug and play malfunctioned.
No no, this is a whole different issue. You need to read my first post.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

When a keyboard doesn't work for me in windows but does in BIOS it is most likely a USB 3.0 driver issue. Try disabling USB 3.0 in the BIOS when you can get to it.

by MKarmil

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011

When a keyboard doesn't work for me in windows but does in BIOS it is most likely a USB 3.0 driver issue. Try disabling USB 3.0 in the BIOS when you can get to it.

by MKarmil
Well, yes, that's basically it. But you need to see what I'm trying to do. I dont want to mess up the thread repeating myself.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, yes, that's basically it. But you need to see what I'm trying to do. I dont want to mess up the thread repeating myself.
I did read your first post and all subsequent posts.

I encountered the same issue before, and it's most likely the USB 3.0 issue mentioned in the previous post. I just completely forgot about it.

Last edited:

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
This is assuming you have access to a working computer and that the Win 7 installation doesn't require a password to login.

1. Create a live Ubuntu USB drive
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

2. Download and extract the portable version of TeamViewer to a folder named TeamViewer in the USB
https://download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerPortable.zip
*use the portable version as that doesn't bring up a UAC prompt

3. Create a batch file to run the TeamViewer
start "" "C:\TeamViewer\TeamViewer.exe"

4. Boot to the USB drive

5. Cut and paste the folder containing TeamViewer portable from your USB drive to the drive containing your Win 7 installation

6. Cut and paste the batch file to "ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp" of the drive containing your Win 7 installation

7. Reboot to Windows 7

8. TeamViewer should start after booting

** If you are dual booting to windows 10 on the same system you can skip step 1, extract directly to the drive containing the Win 7 installation on step 2 and then skip steps 4 and 5.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I did read your first post and all subsequent posts.

I encountered the same issue before, and it's most likely the USB 3.0 issue mentioned in the previous post. I just completely forgot about it.
Well the thing is, to get Win7 running on Ryzen you have to install the B450 Tomahawk motherboard's recently released Win7 drivers. But since the Win7 install is on that motherboard without the drivers installed yet, there is no way to get the mouse or keyboard to run right now. A PS2 adapter I bought didnt work and autostarting the driver stillasks for a click to confirm installation. The USB 3.0 ports dont run and the 2.0 for some reason arent responding either.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
This is assuming you have access to a working computer and that the Win 7 installation doesn't require a password to login.
Finally getting a chance to get back to this...
So then once all this is done, I leave it running and I find a way to log in to the TeamViewer on Win7 from another laptop or something?

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
You can use another computer or your phone (app available for both android and ios).
Ok.. Good news!! It is totally working. In fact at this moment I'm on my Win10 laptop via Teamviewer posting this on the Win7 desktop.
The problem is it wont let me install any of the drivers from the MSI website without telling me that I need the AMD installer. It refuses to let me install any of them otherwise. I did an install of the chipset drivers and that seems fine but still no mouse or keyboard.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Wait wait wait... nevermind...
I used the chipset drivers from AMD and now I have mouse and keyboard working on the computer. But what was this I had heard that you have to run some mod that blocks Windows from trying to upgrade your system thereby deactivating the drivers again?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Its not the mouse and keyboard, its the USB controller. Windows 7 has no native USB 3.0 support and on modern chipsets all ports (even the USB 2.0 ones) are all hanging off a single USB 3.0 controller that it has no driver for.

Its actually kind of hilarious how stuck you are when this happens. You can install a USB 2.0 card (NOT 3.0) for installation (PCI-e versions of these are very rare) or slipstream the drivers (I'm usually just wanting to test something and sllipstreaming is a PITA so I never do this)

I bet you could use some of those PCIe PS/2 cards, some motherboards still have a header for a serial port and if you had a serial mouse (lol) you might be able to blunder ahead.

The dumping teamviewer portable into startup thing is a very clever workaround. But it seems like that requires you to have successfully installed Windows using different hardware already.