Installing a PCI card in a PCI-e x16 slot

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I know this might be a dumb question and idea but would a PCI card work in a PCI-e x16 slot?

The reason I ask is because my motherboard only has one PCI slot and I have 2 PCI cards, network adapter and a sound card. For the network adapter, I was using a usb adapter but I can't get that to work since I reinstalled Windows. So now I am back to using the PCI adapter. I am thinking about hooking up directly to the router so I can eliminate the use of an adapter. I just don't know how many feet it will take since I am on the top floor and the router is in the basement.

Anyways, I know some of you might say use onboard sound but I don't care for the onboard sound that much. I guess my x-fi card has spoiled me.

I thought about buying a pci-e x1 sound card but with my motherboard, it looks like it will not fit in either slot, definitely not the top one. Someone on another forum says pci-e x1 cards will work in x16 slots. I really don't want to buy anything else just yet.

Long story short, would a PCI card work in a PCI-e x16 slot? Is there any risk of damage? I would not force anything if it didn't fit. Would the computer recognize it as a video card? Would it work the same as it would in a PCI slot?

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Long story short, would a PCI card work in a PCI-e x16 slot? Is there any risk of damage? I would not force anything if it didn't fit. Would the computer recognize it as a video card? Would it work the same as it would in a PCI slot?

No. Absolutely. No, that's absurd. And that's a pointless question since they won't work. Just looking at a PCI and PCI-e slot next to each other will show that they aren't meant to be interchangeable.

Alternative suggestion: get a network card (wired or wireless, if applicable) that uses PCI-e 1x. Much cheaper, smaller size, and more common than sound cards.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
That is what I figured. I think I am going to run a wire directly to the router to get internet.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
PCI & PCI-E as said, are not compatible.

Your other question though -
You can however use PCI-E 1x in a PCI-E 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x slot (and even technically the other way too, you can use PCI-E 16x slots in 1x slots, but they may not fit).

dac7nco

Jun 7, 2009
Virtual Larry, the only place I've seen 32-lane PCI express is on that ridiculous SMP Atom server's CPU daughter-boards Anand tested.

Daimon

boran

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
He is probably talking about a wireless card now.
Most mobos these days come with at least one network card built in. So I guess that is what he will use.