installed xp pro on my notebook, now my optical drive acts as if it's removable

kuljc

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2004
Pretty much what I said in the title.

I just got a dell 700m, i formatted and installed xp pro and now my dvd/cd-rw combo drive acts like it's a removable drive. BUT IT'S IN MY LAPTOP! what's goin on? how can i fix?

PLEASE HELP! it's just annoying.

kuljc

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2004
for an optical drive? I've never done that before. And also it can't be found anywhere.

kuljc

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2004
hrmm... i actually already installed that... let me do it again. ty i guess i learned something new today.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

Hugh Betcha.

If that doesn't do the trick you've probably got some funky filter drivers in there.

Remove any UpperFilters or LowerFilters from this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Couple cautions:
1. Be sure it's the right key. You'll see what I mean when you get there; they all look similar.
2. Make a system restore point before you begin.
3. Backup what you delete obviously then just whack the whole UpperFilters or LowerFilters. Reboot.

Good luck.

kuljc

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2004
installed the thing again.. didn't do anything.

and actually looked through that key and there weren't any UpperFilters or LowerFilters.

grrr.........

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Now that you are sure you have those utils installed, delete your drive in device manager then let it PNP detect again. It should load the right driver. If not, go hoslap dell tech support :D

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The drive is not removable from the laptop? Was that a dumb question? :D

kuljc

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Smilin
Now that you are sure you have those utils installed, delete your drive in device manager then let it PNP detect again. It should load the right driver. If not, go hoslap dell tech support :D

man... that still didn't work grr.. guess i gotta start powderin up my pimp hand :eek:)

and the drive isn't removable, unless you consider opening up the laptop and removing it.