Installed Windows 7. What should I do first?

decrescendo

Jun 1, 2011
So I just got Windows 7 installed on my new hardware. My next step is installing drivers for my hardware.

After that, what's the next thing I should do before I migrate my data over?

Should I benchmark? How do I best go about that?

How do I make sure everything is working correctly? I really want to make sure I do every step of this process right.

Last edited:

abekl

Jul 2, 2011
First step is installing anti-virus and anti-malware. My personal choices are Avast antivirus, and Malwarebytes anti-malware.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I would install Microsoft Security Essentials, then set up Windows Live Mail. I would optimize the drive, and clean things up and get everything to my liking. I would then install software, and then migrate the data. Benchmarks? I see no point in that unless you have the capability to do something with the information provided.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Yes, i would install AV and antimalware and then make sure windows is completely patched (SP1, etc.) and then install everything else.

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
1. Network driver.
2. Windows updates.
3. Video card driver.
4. Prime95, memtest and furmark overnight.
5. Everything else. Or if your computer caught fire, start over.

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't forget to start with the L&G chipset drivers. Get the security stuff installed with latest definitions and signatures. Activate and install service pack and all criticals. Set up your shell environment just the way you like it (how stuff is displayed in Windows Explorer, how much space is dedicated to Recycle Bin and System Restore, etc). Add and lock down any additional accounts for other people. Install your tools and utilities (Notepad++, CPU-Z, etc). Run Disk Cleanup and kill all System Restore points.

Then image it. This is your Catastrophic Disaster image. It will save you hours of your life if you have to start over from scratch.

Install apps, install updates for all apps, and then tweak all settings specific to how you want saved files, transcoding options, etc. Make sure everything works exactly the way you want. Run Disk Cleanup and System Restore point deletion again.

Then image it. This is your Clean Fallback image. It can save you days of your life if you get hit by something nasty and need to restore.

decrescendo

Jun 1, 2011
I would install Microsoft Security Essentials, then set up Windows Live Mail. I would optimize the drive, and clean things up and get everything to my liking. I would then install software, and then migrate the data. Benchmarks? I see no point in that unless you have the capability to do something with the information provided.

what do you mean exactly by "optimize the drive"?

decrescendo

Jun 1, 2011
Don't forget to start with the L&G chipset drivers. Get the security stuff installed with latest definitions and signatures. Activate and install service pack and all criticals. Set up your shell environment just the way you like it (how stuff is displayed in Windows Explorer, how much space is dedicated to Recycle Bin and System Restore, etc). Add and lock down any additional accounts for other people. Install your tools and utilities (Notepad++, CPU-Z, etc). Run Disk Cleanup and kill all System Restore points.

Then image it. This is your Catastrophic Disaster image. It will save you hours of your life if you have to start over from scratch.

Install apps, install updates for all apps, and then tweak all settings specific to how you want saved files, transcoding options, etc. Make sure everything works exactly the way you want. Run Disk Cleanup and System Restore point deletion again.

Then image it. This is your Clean Fallback image. It can save you days of your life if you get hit by something nasty and need to restore.

L&G chipset drivers?

Also, how do I "kill all System Restore points" and image the drive? What program do you use to image?

decrescendo

Jun 1, 2011
So far, after Windows 7 installed I:
1. used the included driver disc to install all of the drivers on there (I'm sure there are more recent versions, how do I best find them? Manufacturer's website?)
2. installed Firefox
3. installed CCleaner
4. installed Microsoft Security Essentials

I'll edit this post as I do more.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
what do you mean exactly by "optimize the drive"?

Unless you are dealing with a SSD, I would run Window's built-in defragger to create some semblence of order out of chaos.

So far, you're on the right track.

decrescendo

Jun 1, 2011
Unless you are dealing with a SSD, I would run Window's built-in defragger to create some semblence of order out of chaos.

So far, you're on the right track.

Ugh, where the hell is defrag in Windows 7? I haven't used the default Windows one in years (XP). I've only used Defraggler as of late.

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
L&G chipset drivers?
Latest & Greatest. Get them from the support page for your mobo.
Also, how do I "kill all System Restore points" and image the drive? What program do you use to image?
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-delete-system-restore-points-windows-7/

Forgot about this tip: open Windows Explorer and go to windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all of the contents to free up some space (don't delete the Download folder itself).

I use TrueImage.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I prefer microsoft security essentials for AV and Macrium Reflect for system imaging.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Ugh, where the hell is defrag in Windows 7? I haven't used the default Windows one in years (XP). I've only used Defraggler as of late.

See that big button? Click it and here is a new trick for win 7... in the search on the bottom type defrag. Magic :)

Honestly I am not sure where the shortcut is, just use search it is crazy easy that way.

FishAk

Jun 13, 2010
Image it. This is your Catastrophic Disaster image. It will save you hours of your life if you have to start over from scratch.

Slugbait is absolutely right. The single most important thing you can do with your OS is to keep a good image set. Unlike Restore Points, you can controll which images are deleted or retained.

Move all your User files to another partition to keep the size of you OS under control.

Create a 50GB partition on the inside edge of your spindle drives for the exclusive use of storing images, and tell your defragger to leave this partition alone. Image files can become unreliable if disturbed (moved, defragged, non-original)

With the free home version of Macrium Reflect, an image file will be about half the size of the OS used space, so you will be able to keep about 4 or 5 images in a 50GB partition.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
tweak/disable power saving settings that may cause your hard disk to be turned off after 10 minutes.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Slugbait is absolutely right. The single most important thing you can do with your OS is to keep a good image set. Unlike Restore Points, you can controll which images are deleted or retained.

Move all your User files to another partition to keep the size of you OS under control.

Create a 50GB partition on the inside edge of your spindle drives for the exclusive use of storing images, and tell your defragger to leave this partition alone. Image files can become unreliable if disturbed (moved, defragged, non-original)

With the free home version of Macrium Reflect, an image file will be about half the size of the OS used space, so you will be able to keep about 4 or 5 images in a 50GB partition.

Source?