Question Installed new processor now computer won't boot

Peyton65

Mar 14, 2019
Hello hope someone can help I upgraded from and Fx 6200 to and Fx 8350
I have HP envy
The motherboard says that CPU will work the motherboard recognizes it but it will not boot to window it gets stuck on preparing automatic repair could the graphics card be the problem I have and radon HD 7570 or is it a windows problem

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This is not true.
Yes, I agree, a windows install should not be needed.

HOWEVER, it is possible that a repair install might be needed. If the CPU is that much different. Your is not that different. BUT also, the new one draws a lot more power than the old one. What motherboard and PSU do you have ? and video card also.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
If you are 100 sure the HP board supports this processor (and you are running a late enough bios for it), then this almost assuredly is a power supply issue. Unless you are configuring the system through the web site HP. Dell, the whole gang will only us a PSU that fits the hardware in the box a purchase with minimal margins. Chances are you need to get a better PSU to power it.

Reactions: scannall

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I've dropped a windows install on a completely new MB/CPU/RAM/GPU combo and it dutifully detected the changes and booted. I agree on the PS supply. its over 100w more. That or you could have done a super poor job on thermal paste when you swapped CPUs. I had one that would POST fine, but as soon as I started any real task it would get into thermal protection. Did you retain the old heatsink? If its the stock one it might not be enough as well.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
Apart from mentioned above, you could try booting for example Ubuntu from USB to see if it makes any difference.
Have you checked so the BIOS hasn't reverted to its default settings? For example, being set to IDE instead of AHCI, or Legacy BIOS whereas your Win10 installation is UEFI

Last edited: