My specs:

Computer Unit - HP Pavillon HPE H8-1022
Motherboard - Pegatron IPISB-CH2
CPU - Intel Core i7-2600CPU @3.4 ghz
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 760
PSU - OCZ Fatal1ty 750W
Memory - 10G RAM

So recently I bought this new GTX 760 from EVGA and a new PSU (OCZ fatal1ty 750W) to meet the requirements (my old PSU was a 460 Watt. It wouldn't be able to run the card). I've had this computer since 2011 and never had a single problem with it. Upon installing the new hardware, when starting the machine, the HP start menu screen appears, followed by a beeping sound every 10-15 seconds and no response from the keyboard.

Obviously the problem must have been with the new hardware, but no. Restoring the old ATI Radeon HD 6770 (the one that came with my computer unit when I bought it) while keeping the new PSU, my system boots and works just fine. All games and everything else works with no hassle.

To test out the GTX 760, I installed it on another computer we have and it booted up and worked perfectly. So there hardly seems to be any issue with it either..!

I tried updating my BIOS, I tried the whole bunch of different connectors that came with my modular PSU to see if that might do the trick, with and without the extensions included with the graphics card. The GPU is a 6-pin + 8-pin one, and both were always connected. After around 8-9 tries, where I checked each time to see if the connectors and the card were connected and fitted like they should, I ran out of options.

Does the problem lie with the motherboard itself (an IPISB-CH2 by Pegatron), who might not be compatible with the GTX 760 or with Nvidia at all, or is it something between my PSU (its connectors most likely) and my Graphics card?

Thank you all!

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Have you contacted HP to see if there is a supported hardware list for the slot, and if the card is compatible? Based on your troubleshooting results, that appears to be what the problem is.

You'd think it would work, though -- unless it's something like a PCIe 3.0 to 2.0 backwards compatibility issue.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
stahlhart: I had the same concern. Sometimes the HP mbs are VERY limited on their upgradability. My hunch is the mb doesn't support it. OUCH!

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
I don't have as much experience with GPU upgrades in these, but years back my nephew had a Pavilion that would not take "standard" generic memory DIMMs -- we tried unsuccessfully to upgrade it one weekend. Ended up having to go to Crucial to get specific sticks through their web site look-up for that particular make/model of PC to make it happen.

sgtskywalker

Jul 12, 2013
Thank you for the answers!

I'm not sure the motherboard is incompatible with my card since I've found upon my research many other people with the same motherboard and using GTX cards of the 500-600-700 models. Might be something with my unit in particular, just as something else entirely. It's possible that there's something wrong between my card and the PCI-E slot though, but on the GPU box it says it compatible with 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.

I have absolutely no idea right now, spent my whole night looking for answers..

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
There's no reason why it shouldn't work, unless it is as you've indicated a specific problem with your hardware. Any card should be backwards compatible, and worst case is that you'd end up with a bottleneck if the GPU were too fast for the system, or vice versa.

Does the BIOS auto-detect the card's presence, or do you have to specify in configuration which VGA to boot from?

sgtskywalker

Jul 12, 2013
No, I can't get further the HP start menu screen from the very very beginning. It's stuck there and doesn't respond to any keyboard commands, making a beeping noise every 10-15 seconds.

EVGA support suggested updating the firmware using the other computer on which the new GPu worked, only I'm not familiar with how to do that.. Is it like simply upgrading the driver, or something more complex?

Here's what he said :

Also since you do have other computers at your disposal you could try updating the firmware on this video card. You will need to rename the file to 2673_5C.zip in order to access the zip contents. Once the video card has been updated try testing on the HP computer.

Instructions on how to flash the firmware:
Extract the files to a location on disk.
Make sure no programs are running in the background, and double click update.exe.
Press "Y", then ENTER to begin the update.
DO NOT TURN OFF POWER OR RESET DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS!
After update, restart PC.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Disable any onboard video if there is any? And set video detect to PCI-e?

If the card isn't working in the system at all I'm surprised you can even see the POST screens.

sgtskywalker

Jul 12, 2013
Yeah no onboard video with my computer unit. As for detecting the PCI-e, I guess it's already doing it since right now my HD 6770 Radeon works without a problem (before anyone says it, yes, I had removed all drivers and everything before putting the new GPU). Though it might be worth checking, I'll take a look.

As for the firmware, anyone knows how to upgrade it on the card itself using my other computer??

Thank you

GPUHotz

Jul 12, 2013
As for the firmware, anyone knows how to upgrade it on the card itself using my other computer??

Thank you

Should be as easy as the instructions he gave to you. Just remember DONOT turn the computer off while the firmware is being updated.