Question Installed new GPU and now getting no video output or power to USB ports??

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
Hi, I am hoping someone may be able to help me however I feel I have tried everything rasonable at this point. I recieved my new 3060ti yesterday and installed it in my pc however after installation I turned on the PC only for all the fans and RGB to kick in but no display/connection could be made to the monitor and also all the USB ports appear to be not working as none of my mouse or KB powered on either. All components are 9 months all apart from my new GPU which arrived yesterday.

After alot of googling and testing different fixes here is everything I have tried.

• Running straight from the motherboard display output without GPU installed
  • Running from my old GTX 970
  • Running from single stick of RAM (tried both 8gb sticks indiviudally)
  • Reseating all cables
  • Running from a different PSU
  • Resetting the CMOS battery
  • Doing a test bench build out of the case
  • Tested the HDMI cable, monitor, keyboard and mouse in my laptop to ensure all working fine
At this point my only thoughts is that for some reason the motherboard may have died? I dont understand how this would have happened as I have done GPU swaps before with no issues as I like to believe I know what I am doing and was not forceful or reckless. The only other part I have not tested indivudually for fault is the CPU however I did not touch or mess with this during the gpu installation so I would be amazed if this was the issue?

Parts are Asus B450-F Mobo, 16GB vengeance RAM, ryzen 5 3600, 750w EVGA PSU, 3060ti GPU (new) - GTX 970 (old)

As it stands I have ordered a new motherboard which should arrive tomorrow. I am praying this is the fault and that my current one is just dead. If anyone has any suggestions I could try or theories as to what may have happened then I would be grateful to hear them as I am now worried that when I plug everything into my new mobo tomorrow that it will happen again :/

Thank you for any suggestions you can make

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
So even when you put everything to the old system without the new GPU and reset the motherboard, it doesn't post? And that's with two separate PSU's?

Very best,

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
So even when you put everything to the old system without the new GPU and reset the motherboard, it doesn't post? And that's with two separate PSU's?

Very best,

Yep, it pretty much seems no matter what I do I cannot get any sign of a display output. I checked my mobo manual for fault system lights too and I do not appear to get any light indications when I turn it on.

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
Try swapping CPUs. It may "kick-start" the system back into life.
I don’t have another cpu I’m afraid.. I’m going to try a new mobo when it arrives tmra and then if that doesn’t work then cpu is the next expense 😕 I’m hoping I might be able to get it exchanged as it would only be 9 months old

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm not saying that the cPU that you currently have in there is bad. Quite the opposite. There is a special low-level re-initialization that happens on AM4 when you physically swap CPUs.

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
I'm not saying that the cPU that you currently have in there is bad. Quite the opposite. There is a special low-level re-initialization that happens on AM4 when you physically swap CPUs.
Oh sorry so is this to say I should try just removing and reinstalling the cpu?

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Yikes, this sounds like more of a headache with that board, whether its fully dead or just mostly dead. I'd swap that ah heck out even if its only mostly dead.

Very best,

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
To trigger this low-level re-init, you need a different CPU, only just temporarily (through a few boot cycles).

Oh I see, well I dont have access to another CPU at the moment however if the new mobo that arrives today doesnt solve the problem then the CPU is my next step. Whilst I will try and claim on the warranty as its only 9 months old it may mean being without a system longer so I may have to resort to buying new to bridge the gap and dealing with selling the replacement I get if it comes to it. Thank you for your suggestion, I hope it's not the CPU as it will be a much bigger expense to replace this close to christmas but it is what it is I guess :rolleyes:

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
Yikes, this sounds like more of a headache with that board, whether its fully dead or just mostly dead. I'd swap that ah heck out even if its only mostly dead.

Very best,

Yeah at this point I am hoping it is the board, whilst not ideal id much rather spend £100 replacing the board than £250 replacing the CPU. My new motherboard is due to be delivered today so god wish me luck tonight when I get home from work that this headache will be solved.

Reactions: MalVeauX

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I'd set the set the new board up as a test build the same way (i.e. CPU/heatsink, one stick of DRAM, GPU) on a piece of cardboard outside the case before going to all the trouble of installing it. That way, you know for sure it is good before mounting it in the case.

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
I'd set the set the new board up as a test build the same way (i.e. CPU/heatsink, one stick of DRAM, GPU) on a piece of cardboard outside the case before going to all the trouble of installing it. That way, you know for sure it is good before mounting it in the case.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely try this as I already have the board out of the case ready to be swapped and I have two PSU’s so I’ll try both of these on the old board first.

you mention plugging in the GPU, is it better to try and get a signal from a gpu as opposed to the onboard hdmi from the mobo?

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Were you running with the latest motherboard bios firmware? Did you try running the 3060Ti in some other motherboard to confirm that the card is still functional? There could have been a static electricity issue that occurred when swapping GPU's. To avoid that problem when working on the PC, always discharge the PSU's capacitor by using the PSU rocker switch to turn off power, then press and hold the PC's front power switch for several seconds.

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
Were you running with the latest motherboard bios firmware? Did you try running the 3060Ti in some other motherboard to confirm that the card is still functional? There could have been a static electricity issue that occurred when swapping GPU's. To avoid that problem when working on the PC, always use the PSU rocker switch to turn off power, then press and hold the PC's front power switch for several seconds.

I have not tested the gpu in another I’m afraid no as I did not have access to any other pc. I have received a new mobo today so will try building the system on this tonight. I did get half an hour on my lunch break to try @Steltek test bench build with the original motherboard to ensure case grounding was not the issue and again this resulted in the same problem of fans and rgb powering up but no display output to the monitor

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
Did you only try HDMI out of the GPU? Any chance you could try one of the DP?
I did only try the hdmi I’m afraid as my monitor doesn’t have DP.. I might have a DP to Hdmi cable lying around somewhere If that might work? Also I’m not sure if it makes a difference but I have been testing all these changes using my old 970 as it’s worked perfectly for last 6 years. I was hoping to fix the problem using that before I then tried the 3060?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Mobo video output is in-active, unless you are using an APU.

This. The 3600 doesn't have onboard graphics, so you need to try to get output from the video card itself.

Since you know the GTX970 was working, I'd set the test build with the new board using it first. If it boots properly and you can get into the BIOS with it, I'd then shut down and swap in the 3060Ti and see if it works with that.

kiezzy

Dec 8, 2020
Update

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this problem. Thankfully the issue has now been "fixed."

By fixed, I had to replace the motherboard but now all appears to be working correctly both with my old and new GPU. I've still no idea what caused my original motherboard to die and can only assume it was something I had done however on a positive note, I contacted amazon and they have agreed to refund me the cost of my motherboard despite it being 12 months old so other than time and stress in rectifying this problem, at least it has not cost me any money.

Thank you again to everyone for your help and replies. Unsure if I can /close this thread or if a mod has to but please consider this issue resolved :)