Installation of Windows XP deleted IMPORTANT files on other drive

Relf Lauren

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
hey guys
I am freaking out here

I re-installed windows XP on my computer, but before that, I moved my "my documents" folder to my other drive.......when i was installing windows XP, it went through and did "correcting" to my files.....fixing this and that.....and then it did something about "orphaned files"....

anyways, I used Directory snoop, and I found the folder (its still there!).....but when I try to "undelete" it, it says taht the files arent deleted

I am currently running finaldata standard, but it says it will be done in 18 hours......and I dont know if it will even work

please, any input would be appreciated

Relf Lauren

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
just read the sticky about NTFS encryption.....I am thinking this relates to that, and how the profiles are different.....has anyone dealt with this situation before?

Apr 7, 2005
yea, i'm not really sure.... but you probably shouldn't have moved the entire my documents folder, as i think its a protected system folder. before doing a system restore on costumer's pc's, i've tried doing that but you cant simply right click and hit copy, so i open the folder up and then copy the files to another drive, that works. i know thats not much help, but.... good luck ;-)

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
You can always use the file and settings transfer wizard to back that stuff up instead, it works very well.