Question Install Windows Through Thunderbolt 3

retab12332

May 7, 2020
How do I install Windows OS into the 2020 DELL XPS 17? I used the Thunderbolt 3 ports, but its not recognizing the usb drive.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Try a different USB drive?

It states Dell ships the laptop with a USB-C to USB-A adapter. Are you using it, or do you have a USB-C thumb drive? Windows can't see the drive at all, or you can't get the BIOS to boot from it? We need more details on what is going on exactly in order to offer smart recommendations.

retab12332

May 7, 2020
Try a different USB drive?

It states Dell ships the laptop with a USB-C to USB-A adapter. Are you using it, or do you have a USB-C thumb drive? Windows can't see the drive at all, or you can't get the BIOS to boot from it? We need more details on what is going on exactly in order to offer smart recommendations.
I tried using the adapter and then a USB-C thumb drive. It boots to the installation screen then it says its missing drivers. Do I need to add thunderbolt 3 drivers to boot.wim/install.wim ?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I used the adapter and a USB-C thumb drive. It boots to the installation screen then it says its missing drivers. Do I need to add thunderbolt 3 drivers to boot.wim/install.wim ?
That I'm not sure about since I have no devices with Thunderbolt ports, so I have no-hands on experience with it. Maybe someone who has dealt with that can answer that.

Dell usually puts a recovery partition on the drive, and you usually get to by pressing a key like F8 (differs with different PCs).

Dell also used to keep the OS image for their computers on their website, but I looked at your model and they apparently don't do that anymore (I didn't see one listed for my newest Dell laptop either).

Reactions: retab12332

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I used the adapter and a USB-C thumb drive. It boots to the installation screen then it says its missing drivers. Do I need to add thunderbolt 3 drivers to boot.wim/install.wim ?
You shouldn't need drivers. I've installed Win 10 on a laptop with Thunderbolt ports with no problem using a USB A drive plugged into a USB C (Thunderbolt) to A adapter. I would recommend try plugging into a different Thunderbolt port. Also you say you are using both the adapter and a USB-C thumb drive. I think you maybe made a typo. You wouldn't need the adapter if you were using a USB C thumb drive.

Reactions: retab12332