Install Steam games to other HDD's without the use of 3rd party software

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Someone on reddit posted this earlier today, you need last night's Steam Beta update:

1. Start Steam in Dev mode
  2. Go to the console and type install_folder_ui
  3. Add any folder you'd like

Upon installing a game you should see this now:
GKMH4.png

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Strange, that's way easier to do with Origin :awe:

About time though, now if they'd only just integrate it into the official client.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Strange, that's way easier to do with Origin :awe:

About time though, now if they'd only just integrate it into the official client.

Being a beta update I'd assume it'll be in the client sometime in the (hopefully non-too-distant) future.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i just installed steam to the other drive.
So it installs everything in the steam foldier on the other drive.

All i needed to do was backup my steam foldier... then reinstall steam, copy over the steam folder, and then run it.

Once steam resyncs, it will install everything u get from steam into that drive because the steam foldier is located on that drive.

But this is awesome if u want your games spam'd out on more then 1 drive.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
i just installed steam to the other drive.
So it installs everything in the steam foldier on the other drive.

All i needed to do was backup my steam foldier... then reinstall steam, copy over the steam folder, and then run it.

Once steam resyncs, it will install everything u get from steam into that drive because the steam foldier is located on that drive.

But this is awesome if u want your games spam'd out on more then 1 drive.

This is what I did. Used one of my 1tb's to install steam onto and left my SSD open.

Apr 20, 2008
He has Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation. Why would he need anything else?

I can't believe of all games that could be a non-sequitur, that is the one he picked..

It's the equivalent if you saw a gun enthusiasts collection and found a broken nerf gun in the middle.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
This is great. There will be some games I want to put on my SSD for performance, but most of them would go to HDD.