Install new motherboard keep OS and stuff.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
I remember way back with Windows 2000 if you bought a new motherboard and just booted up, it would give a blue screen.

Now I don't know if Win 8 will do the same thing, or is it smart enough to detect new hardware and install drivers ?

How about a Repair Install would that work ?

There is now ay I can go clean when getting new motherboard, I have too much DAW stuff,,,,, Ive done formats in the past enough,, I dont wanna touch this,, so if reapair install would fix it that would be awesome. However perhaps with Windows 8 , u just pop in the motherboard and it will boot up and find new hardware and install it and your ready to go. Thank you much Anand gurus.

:colbert:

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
You sound like a clown the way you type.

But yeah the easiest way would be swap motherboards and just boot it up.

Then run a driver update wizard to make sure you have everything you should as latest.

Otherwise, You can clone your OS drive or make a custom windows install/restore DVD

If you need more help let me know there was a good thread on this in the HTPC forum at AVS.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
You sound like a clown the way you type.

But yeah the easiest way would be swap motherboards and just boot it up.

Then run a driver update wizard to make sure you have everything you should as latest.

Otherwise, You can clone your OS drive or make a custom windows install/restore DVD

If you need more help let me know there was a good thread on this in the HTPC forum at AVS.

Thanks, well I have a Windows Image Backup on external. Also, if I just put in the motherboard, ur saying Win8 should boot up, maybe take longer and put in the proper devices ?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Usually, you have to generalise the devices in the device manger which make up the components of the computer, however, if using a Intel chipset, its quite often okay to just boot into safe mode and let the harwdare aware o/s of windows 7 or 8 install the correct drivers....Only if this doesnt work would I do a repair install