Install new motherboard keep OS and stuff.

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by tweakboy, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

I remember way back with Windows 2000 if you bought a new motherboard and just booted up, it would give a blue screen.

Now I don't know if Win 8 will do the same thing, or is it smart enough to detect new hardware and install drivers ?

How about a Repair Install would that work ?

There is now ay I can go clean when getting new motherboard, I have too much DAW stuff,,,,, Ive done formats in the past enough,, I dont wanna touch this,, so if reapair install would fix it that would be awesome. However perhaps with Windows 8 , u just pop in the motherboard and it will boot up and find new hardware and install it and your ready to go. Thank you much Anand gurus.

:colbert:

2. Mfusick

Mfusick Senior member

You sound like a clown the way you type.

But yeah the easiest way would be swap motherboards and just boot it up.

Then run a driver update wizard to make sure you have everything you should as latest.

Otherwise, You can clone your OS drive or make a custom windows install/restore DVD

If you need more help let me know there was a good thread on this in the HTPC forum at AVS.

3. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

OMG my bad, I had some Wine,,, and I double posted my question. SOO SORRY erase that thread or something.

4. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Thanks, well I have a Windows Image Backup on external. Also, if I just put in the motherboard, ur saying Win8 should boot up, maybe take longer and put in the proper devices ?

5. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

C'mon, their simply must be more than just wine in play here!

6. SolMiester

SolMiester Diamond Member

Usually, you have to generalise the devices in the device manger which make up the components of the computer, however, if using a Intel chipset, its quite often okay to just boot into safe mode and let the harwdare aware o/s of windows 7 or 8 install the correct drivers....Only if this doesnt work would I do a repair install