NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
Very strange problem installing a new OS i just cant figure out why

Hardware
Asus Maximus Hero VII
Intel 4790k
16g ram
RTX2060 Super

I have a Kingwin hard drive switch. I have 4 hard drives.
Drive 1 has Solus Linux
Drive 2 has Windows 10 pro and drive 3 is data
drive 4 is where all the problems occur.

When i want to use one of the above i shut down and turn off the unused drives so each install does not see the other.

I have been using drive four as a test platform for new linux distros. MX linux just will not install. I have asked on their forum and tried suggested fixes. nothing works
I get anywhere from 11 to 85% installed and it just stops. I can move the mouse still and open different things but the install process is frozen.

Linux Manjaro KDE installs. but after the update of packages i reboot and it freezes.

Is it the install media(USB stick)? i use RUFUS to create the bootable install drive. I tried a different install usb drive but still had problem.
On the exact same hardware, both Solus and Win10 pro work fine. Perplexing why drive 4 has issues.
On a whim i tried moving the data cable from drive 1 to drive 4. Seemed to work better. MX still locks up tho. But thought i had it this time as it got the the highest percentage of install progress (86%) so far.
I got a new hard drive for position 4 and i changed out the data cable and moved it to a different plug on the motherboard.

I am wondering if the RTX2060 has something to do with this? (it is a recent purchase)
before this RTX all worked fine. I have had Linux Mint - Manjaro - Zorin all working fine.

I did manage to get Linux KDE Neon running last night. I also got KDE Manjaro working. But ran into problem updating. DL over 600 packages then at the end get all kinds of errors about invalid certificates.
The Manjaro issue this time (after getting new HD and new data cable) is different from the one farther up. Does not lock up but get all the certificate errors.

i am at a loss trying to figure out why solus and windows work fine but on same hardware new installs run into problems.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know if I have much for you, but I do want to watch this thread and briefly ask you if you have run a disk check program like smartctl just to make sure the disk is okay.

Reactions: mikeymikec

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I doubt this is the answer you were hoping for, but triple-booting for the sake of a test OS seems like you're tempting fate with boot management issues. I use VMs for OS testing and if need be I'd use a separate machine in case VM testing didn't cut it.

NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
oh yea forgot to add.
On the Solus Linux drive. Using the exact same ISO ( i used to make bootable install drive with Rufus) i can install and run MX-Linux. Why the heck - on the same hardware - does MX install and run in a virtual machine but not install and run on a different drive on same hardware? grrr

NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
I don't know if I have much for you, but I do want to watch this thread and briefly ask you if you have run a disk check program like smartctl just to make sure the disk is okay.

disk check program on USB drive or Hard drive or both?
Did not run check software. But did try a different USB drive and did buy a brand new 1T Firecuda.
I even used a brand new data cable and plugged it into a different place on the motherboard.
did not help

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Perhaps temporarily disconnect everything, all other HDDs and the switch, and see if the install will complete. If so, you can add parts one at a time to see what the problem is.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
For testing purposes, just use VM. No need to go through the hassle using a physical disk.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Solus is still around? I thought they went defunct a year or two ago.

NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
I find that this is the easiest way to go. Used to use GRUB to boot to different os. Also if i cannot figure out why drive 4 is being so picky. I would use drive 4 as a extra back up drive. Turn on when need. Turn off when not. Currently have like 6 back up drives. I have 4 WD external USB drives and a Qnap NAS.
Actually, before i got the Kingwin switch i used to manually unplug drives, that was cumbersome.

I tested the brand new Firecuda with Windows 10 pro. Booted drives 2-3-4 and Win10 saw drive4. Went into drive management and wiped the Linux partitions, formatted. Works fine in Win10.

I do use Virtual Box for initial testing. I have it working on both Solus and Win10 pro. I am looking for a replacement to Solus. It has not been closed down. Still going strong. Has a small user base and development team.Just want something with more support and i am bored with it. I keep trying Manjaro KDE but just do not like KDE.

Tried out Manjaro Cinnamon last night and do like it initially.Install went fine but during the update it froze. Is it an Nvidia driver issue? Will have to try a Linux distro that is preinstalled with the Nvidia driver instead of Nouveau driver and see if that fixes it.

Maybe it is a Manjaro issue? I did get KDE Neon running and updated. Otherwise cannot figure out why it is doing this. Do not think it would be the Kingwin drive switch. All it does is kill power to the drive. The data cable is still connected to the motherboard.

to recap Hardware

Asus Maximux Hero VII
Nvidia Geforce 1070ti (I did mention a RTX2060 super in OP but that is actually in the game computer)
16g ram
Drive 1 Solus
Drive 2 Win10 boot SSD
Drive 3 Win10 data
Drive 4 alternate Linux drive.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I have similar installation.

4 SSDs inside the tower each one installed while the other 3 disconnected.

Then put EZBCD on one drive. No need for HD switches that at time might Hardware incompatible with some HD installs.

:cool:

NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
what i find the most frustrating is this is something new. I used this set up for about 2 years with no issues. I have had several distros on drive 4 in past. Manjaro. Mint. Fedora. Debian. Ubuntu. It was all working.
The only recent change is, In July i got the RTX2060 Super. Put that in the game computer (Intel 8700k) and moved the former video card from game computer to 2nd computer (that i call "worker" - the GTX1070-ti)

I have tried moving power cable from "4" to "6". Moved data cable on drive 4 to different plug on motherboard. Also used a brand new drive and data cable.
Going to try Manjaro-Cinnamon again tonight. This time i will double check the video driver and update to the Nvidia driver if it is not loaded. Then do update again and see if it freezes.

And as a last resort, will take advice offered by Crashtech. Unplug everything. By-pass the Kingwin switch and try drive 4 by itself as the only drive plugged in using standard power direct from the Power supply.

NoSoupforyou

Dec 20, 2016
well. either the magic pixies came and fixed it or the poltergeist got bored and left. I did not change or unplug any cables. It just started to work

I started drive 4 yesterday that already had Manjaro-Cinnamon installed. Two nights ago when i tried to update after install, it froze.
Tried updates again last night and it worked. Tried the computer again this morning. Manjaro had 2 small updates that went through.
I suspected that when it froze during update it might have been because of open source drivers. But before running update last night i looked
and the Nvidia drivers were already installed.