Insight into Stuttering on 3570k

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
Hello All, a while back I created a thread or two about some stuttering issues I was having, please reference this post:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2275620&highlight
(SKIP TO POST #6 ITT)

Well, in the midst of rebuilding my home network here, and with my new router running tomato so well I figured it was about time to find out why it was that only my desktop pc (the one in thread up top) could never see anything in the 5ghz radio band yet everything else could, so when looking at newegg I stumbled upon 50 some reviews that were stating this stuff: ( I did after the fact realise that this adapter won't do 5ghz... lol) BUT I still stumbled upon this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166051
N/A
10/30/2012 1:12:33 PM
Tech Level:
Ownership:
Verified Owner
Stuttering
Pros: Connects to wifi? That's about it.

Cons: Causes a horrible stuttering problem with my PC. I have tried updating drivers, reseating the card, etc. But the problem just will not go away. Very disappointed in this product, Rosewill has never let me down in the past.

Manufacturer Response:
Please contact the Rosewill support team either via phone at 800-575-9885 or via email at techsupport@rosewill.com so that we can assist you with your issue.
Thanks,
Rosewill Customer Care

Did you find this review helpful?
qi
10/28/2012 10:54:26 AM
Tech Level:
Ownership:
Verified Owner
doesn't work
Pros: it worked for 3 days maybe?

Cons: Then it's broken. What's worse is it causes my MB not POST...

Manufacturer Response:
Please kindly contact the Rosewill support team either via phone at 800-575-9885 or via email at rma@rosewill.com so we may assist you with a replacement.
Thanks,
Rosewill Customer Care

Did you find this review helpful?
peanut
10/19/2012 9:07:38 PM
Tech Level:
Ownership:
Verified Owner
Causes system stutter/lag
Pros: Cheap

Cons: Causes entire system to lag/stutter with 500-1500ms hick-ups running Win 7 64 bit.

Manufacturer Response:
Please kindly contact the Rosewill support team either via phone at 800-575-9885 or via email at rma@rosewill.com so we may assist you with a replacement.
Thanks,
Rosewill Customer Care

0 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?

So people were telling me that I had to check out latency IDP or whatnot measurements to see what showed up.

Does this or does this not sound like exactly what I am dealing with in regards to the stutterring and intermittent suckiness that my machine has been experiencing?
I had thought it was due to overclocks and maybe a faulty board or chip, but...

I would like some input peoples.

Last edited:

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
Bump,
So with this information in the reviews does any think that this is what I was experiencing?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
So people were telling me that I had to check out latency IDP or whatnot measurements to see what showed up.

Does this or does this not sound like exactly what I am dealing with in regards to the stutterring and intermittent suckiness that my machine has been experiencing?

DPC (deferred procedure calls) will have the same symptoms, it is true, but a lot of different problems will manifest as DPC issues. So even if you verify it is a DPC issue causing the stuttering that still won't isolate why you are experiencing stuttering.

You can google for lots of free "Deferred procedure call latency checker" and have lots of hits. Here is one.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Is the stuttering happening in games other than BF3? Is it happening in single player? Have you tried disconnecting from your network, and/or disconnecting extra hardware you don't need?

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
it happens all acrossed the board intermittently.
not just bf3.
no i have not tested it without the wireless card plugged in.
i do not have a way to connect to net currently without it, I don't feel like running cable down two rooms.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Does it happen in single player games too? Could you try just offline gaming for a while?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
it happens all acrossed the board intermittently.
not just bf3.
no i have not tested it without the wireless card plugged in.
i do not have a way to connect to net currently without it, I don't feel like running cable down two rooms.

I learned about DPC because I bought what turned out to be a total POS of a wireless card.

Despite everything I did to make it work right, in the end I had to literally throw it in the garbage and buy a different one (different manufacturer entirely) so my computer would be usable again.

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
Just curious, was the stuttering or lockups intermittent? Or all the time.
What wifi card were you using?

And to the suggestions to measure latency... I don't even feel like I need to do that. My point is is that all these people report BSOD or lockup with stuttering and they all have this wifi card.

I do not think my intermittent audio/freezing/skipping/stuttering of the mouse and keyboard are related to my overclocks. I was wondering if it is logical to suspect that it is in fact the wifi card when there are so many reports of this.

Also, to last poster, what did you end up getting for wifi card?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just curious, was the stuttering or lockups intermittent? Or all the time.
What wifi card were you using?

And to the suggestions to measure latency... I don't even feel like I need to do that. My point is is that all these people report BSOD or lockup with stuttering and they all have this wifi card.

I do not think my intermittent audio/freezing/skipping/stuttering of the mouse and keyboard are related to my overclocks. I was wondering if it is logical to suspect that it is in fact the wifi card when there are so many reports of this.

Also, to last poster, what did you end up getting for wifi card?

I had two separate issues, same computer. First was the wi-fi card, it was a netgear card. It gave me all the stuttering/halting issues.

Once I realized the stuttering was from DPC and that it was the wi-fi card causing the excessive DPC I tried doing things to improve it - new drivers, flashed my bios, did a complete fresh OS install, etc - all to no avail.

So I replaced it with a D-link card and it was perfectly fine afterwards.

Second issue I had, same computer but not at the same time, was my wireless keyboard and mouse would intermittently freak out and just stop working, then it would do weird stuff like type strange characters. I thought I had been hacked. Drove me nuts, I spent weeks trying to debug that issue. Clean install, new AV software, etc. (new batteries too, of course) It would work fine for days, then all of a sudden like a switch it would go on the fritz.

Then one day I was sitting there at my computer and all of sudden it goes all wacky, every time I type the letter "a" it gives me a "k", etc, that kind of weird stuff. And I just so happen to hear this weird buzzing sound from outside my house. So I get up and go look out the window. The neighbor is out there with one of those adult sized/priced remote control cars (the one's that cost ~$500 and are 2ft long) zipping it up and down the street outside.

Light bulb! Could it be that his RC remote has been causing interference and giving me the intermittent troubles with my wireless keyboard/mouse all this time?

So I waited until he stopped "playing" with his toy and sure enough my keyboard/mouse started working perfectly fine. And about 5 days later he was out there again with his remote control car and sure enough my keyboard and mouse were fritzing out all over the place.

I couldn't change the channel on my keyboard so I tossed it and bought the G15 to replace it. No problems since.

So the moral of the story here is that when it comes to wireless stuff, you don't see what your neighbors are doing and they may be unknowingly doing stuff that electronically interferes with your gear. And the only solution is, unfortunately, to scrap it and start over hardware-wise.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
did you ever have issues with sound related to that card?

Nope. Had issues an issue with my Corsair 620HX power supply in that it would cause this incessant buzzing in the speakers of any mobo I hooked it up to. After 4 yrs I finally just tossed it in the garbage.